• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I'm a FAILURE!!

Shyone39

I lost 200 lbs total with surgery and weightloss before surgery. But I have gained weight back and it really bothers me. I was doing so well and then I'm back to being heavy. I'm embarrassed to see anyone I know that knew I had surgery because I don't look like I have. I suck!!

Hi Shy, do you have any awareness of what you were doing after surgery that allowed you to gain weight? Because of the fact that we get a small pouch that doesn't even have digestive juices in it, & it can't hold a whole lot, even after years, as reported by some people, I'm thinking you must be eating small servings of something that is intensely loaded with carbohydrates.

Are you hoping to reverse your current weight gain trend and get to the goal weight you originally had?

Statistically, two years after weight loss surgery most people gain about 25 lb and this is usually hard to get rid of.

But listen kid, do not say that you are a failure. You are not a failure. You are brave. And you're not in denial. You are reaching out for help and you are going to get it.

Also your weight gain could be attributed to something else, like a failing thyroid gland or another illness. You shouldn't assume you gained weight because you cheated. You should actually be checked out by a doctor for your general physical health.

You are safe here and everyone in this forum believes in you, that you can succeed. Just don't give up & don't be so hard on yourself. Please tell us more. We can learn from each other.

Shyone I understand how you feel and it is not difficult to get to that point, however, you have to remember your "why" from when you first decided to have the surgery. What drove you. You have to remember how good it felt as you started to lose that weight, physically, mentally and emotionally. You can get back on track. You already have the tools. The surgery is the tool you used the first time and it can help you to get back to where you want to be. Don't concern yourself with what others think. This has to be about YOU. What do you need to do to take care of the ShyOne?

Dear Shy,
Everyone messes up! You have to be able to forgive yourself for messing up on this one. Pick yourself up and try again.
Do not worry about the people that might judge you or might think of you negatively. They are not your friends if they will pass judgment on you like that, and you don't need to be around those type of characters right now.
Said a little prayer for you Shy. Take care of yourself. You already did it once, then you can do it again... but this time, you already know the challenges and errors you've made so you'll be a pro at it the second time around. Good Luck.

Remember tomorrow is a new day to start all over. I have been up and down my whole life and my family doctor said that people who are heavy have made fat cells that never go away. You will have to stand on guard forever to make sure they do not get the best of you again and again. I am happy to just stay healthy and slowly lose some weight after having my band removed.

Remember tomorrow is a new day to start all over. I have been up and down my whole life and my family doctor said that people who are heavy have made fat cells that never go away. You will have to stand on guard forever to make sure they do not get the best of you again and again. I am happy to just stay healthy and slowly lose some weight after having my band removed.

I was told the same thing from my health care team. It's a bummer but it helps to know about it and be on guard like you said.

Fat cells never leave but they can shrink to the point where they are almost non-existent. This happens because you increase your movement which helps your metabolism burn fat instead of muscle. You may have hundreds of fat cells just like any skinny person, but as long as you don't fill them full of fat you won't be fat. You have a lot more going on in your body than fat cells.

And I just and I just want to point out that the original poster who started this thread has not been here for almost 2 years. So even though we're having a discussion, this is something that only current members are reading. I guess it bears repeating!

You don’t suck but I understand about beating yourself up. I just cant lose. And its my fault, I don't drink enough, I eat too many carbs and not enough good stuff. Need a partner? Im here for you...because I need one too!

Hang in there girl. Did Judy N send you the pouch reset information? If not you can look it up on here, I believe it is under articles. This may be a starting point for you then slowly get back to the diet you first had when you had your surgery with keeping track of liquids and the amount of protein that you get in one day and writing it down so you can see it each day and get a better idea of where your going off track and take it with you to your doc's appointment and let them see it and then they can help you better. Hope this helps!

I lost 200 lbs total with surgery and weightloss before surgery. But I have gained weight back and it really bothers me. I was doing so well and then I'm back to being heavy. I'm embarrassed to see anyone I know that knew I had surgery because I don't look like I have. I suck!!
I just joined this group, and I saw your post from last year and so wanted to talk with you. When I first read it I didn’t realize it was in fact from 2019. 2019 is the PANDEMIC year dear! It has been one of the worst years in the modern world. I don’t ask why I ask why not? People handle stress in such different ways and lets face it, we handle stress by eating. Good, bad, indifferent, that’s what we do. People died this year for breathing the wrong air and we were in lock down honey. You have to give yourself a break. You’ve act-knowledge the problem of the weight gain, and now you have to start slow, be consistent and go. You know what worked the first time so you’re ahead of the game. Yes, it will be hard work but you have the knowledge. That’s half the game. Please be gentle with yourself. The things you say in your head about yourself, would you say those things to another human to their face? Mistakes happen and you get back on the wagon and move again. Please don’t give up, have some love for yourself.

Yes, this is only the opinion of a stranger. Maybe think about it?

Back