• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I'm finally home from hosptial

Wow finally..just know each day will get better. I am six wks post op and cant believe how iam getting more accepting of things to do with my med preplike capsules etc. So all my good wishes to you. Elaine

ae my harxest

HI Pat, no haven't been drinking too many hot fluids, usually by the time I get to drink it the temp is barely warm. My tongue is coated, my entire throat is bright red. I have several friends who are nurses and one advised me to go to Urgent Care, she says since I am still a week post op, she said it sounds like strept throat, and someone else told me it could be thrush....so I am not really sure. My uvula even is red and irritated and it hurts too....I am trying some warm broth this morning, and not sure if I should take my meds this morning, wondering if it could be a reaction to crushing/opening them, which I was told was possible....No fever, the highest my temp has been was 99.9 and that was last night before bed. I am also having some pain in my left side, not sure what is causing that, thinking maybe I overdid it yesterday being out with my hubby. This morning when I woke up I was freezing, no fever blood sugar was 85 that is why I decided on some broth, but I need to find something else that my taste buds can tolerate...my dentures even taste funny when I put them in and that in itself is strange to me...lol:eek:

Hi Nana, I am not sure what med may cause those symptoms when crushed, I know I could barelt tolerate my meds crushed, they were so bitter:( but if things are tasting funny and your sore throat is not getting any better I would heed the advice of your nurse friends, they do recognize medical signs for a living, that way if something is going on you can catch it befor it gets worse. I can't remeber but I thought you said you are off your diabetes med so an 85 blood surgar is great. :cool: Tom

Last edited:
I just had a sore throat from the breathing tube...lasted a couple of days. I hope this problem eases for you soon.

Hi TOM GUESS WHAT I HAVE NOW EXP. DUMPING!!! TOOK AWHILE BUT I HAD SOME CANDY A LITTLE MORE THAN BEFORE AND STOPPED DENYING THE SYMTOMS (WHICH I HAVE HAD BEFORE JUST A LIGHT EPISODE ) UGH! SO GREAT TO HAVE SO MANY PEOPLE ON THIS SITE

Oh No!! Just take note of that feeling and what you ate that made you feel that way:p. I stay away from the stuff that makes me dump, they over time that it goes away but I am fine thinking it makes me sick LOL! :cool: Tom

Tom, I found that if I drink some DanActive yogurt with my pills, it's not too bad, I can tolerate it enough to get them down. I am still tired, took a little nap today, did some walking but the pain I was in really couldn't get me moving any more than I was. I accidentally hit someone with my electric cart at the pharmacy in Wal-Mart, I am in pain, can barely move, but everyone acts like we have to move for them...it's horrible.

Nana-An inflamed uvula is not a fun thing to deal with. I used to have bad allergies and would also get a lot of throat inflammation. Sometimes I would wake up because it felt like something was stuck in my throat. My uvula would be so darn swollen it would be laying against my tongue and the back of my throat. I know some people who read this are probably rolling on the floor laughing but unless they've been there they are clueless *LOL*

Feel better soon my friend!

I know the pain is bad, still dealing with sore left side 3 wks post-op, but the pain has lessened greatly since just after surgery. You're pain will lessen also, it just takes time, and that is not what you want to hear. But you must take it one day at a time. Just get through this day. Try not to look beyond today. Today is all you have to endure. And you can endure. Feel better Nana! :)

My throat is feeling better right now, just wish the pain in my left side would go away. I can take my hydro but it doesn't help the pain. I get my staples out tomorrow so I will address this pain then. I had a loss on the scales today, so I am happy about this!

I have pain in my left side also, my doc calls it nerve pain. They can do a temporary nerve block, but that hurts a lot. I'm three wks and one day out. Hoping the left side discomfort goes away soon. Hoping you're pain leaves quickly, Nana. Hang in there.

they told me the pain was normal. However, I have also not had a bowel movement yet, she told me to take some milk of magnesia, that could be the cause of the pain I am in right now.

Yes, that could very well be causing the pain you are having. I still have to take Ducolax (stool softeners) twice a day, I buy the Equate brand from WalMart which is the generic for Ducolax and a fraction of the cost. I also was told to use milk of magnesia if I needed to but have only used it twice so far. Until the RNY I never had any problems but the drastic change in diet probably causes issues for a lot of people. I hope you feel better soon Nana.

Nana & Marq, the surg mainly is done on the left side from what I've read so I'm guessing that it would hurt more & the more recent post-surg you are internally still getting over the initial surg trauma & gas then have the healing to do inside, around and through all the layers where the instruments were used.

I had more problems with the right side and the large incision that was used for the stapler; also not sure if it had anything to do with the large hiatal hernia repair part of the surgery too but I'm still tender under my breasts where I believe my diapraghm is located.
I'm so short waisted it's pathetic so how everything is crammed in there - I have no idea; but most of my height, albeit 5'6" is from my legs (??) go figure

Found out today that a circular area of skin, about 10 inches around, is completely numb. The left side abdominal pain is located just under this skin and seems to involve the muscles. Wow, these nerves are really jacked up. Wonder how long it will take to heal?

I'm going out on a limb here to try and explain about a shared nerve that runs from your intestines clear through to your left shoulder. It is often the culprit for the pain you feel after gastric bypass surgery. The gas pains from your intestines are transmitted through this nerve and can be felt anywhere along its path, including your left shoulder. Patti (feastorfamine) please feel free to apply your medical expertise here to better explain what I am tryng to say *LOL*

that would explain my pain for sure. Not so much to the shoulder though. I've taken the Milk of Magnesia and had a bm, but nothing since then, and it wasn't as I was told it should be. I guess everyone is different, so I am not going to worry too much unless it gets unbearable.

I was told to take a full plastic cup of Milk of Magnesia for a bm in the am - it worked; I felt better.

I had horrible left shoulder pain for 3 days after surgery while still in the hospital. Years ago I had a fracture in the same shoulder and it hurt just like that. I couldn't even lay in bed it hurt so bad. Not too much other pain though. I was complaining about the shoulder pain every time a nurse or doctor came to check on me but it wasn't until I got back home and talked to feastorfamine did I know about the shared nerve thing. Hardly any incision or surgical pain but I take some heavy duty narcotic pain meds for a bad hip (need replacement) and bad back (herniated disks) so that's probably why I had less than normal pain with everything else surgery related. My main concern before surgery was pain control but over all everything went better than what I expected.

Back