• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I'm finally post-op and home!

Kathi_S

Had my surgery Wednesday morning (RNY). It went very well, surgery took less time than expected.

I did have brief episode of presurgical wonderlust, either that or I was so nervous I was hallucinating. When I got up to take my shower at 4 am my weight was 199.8 lbs.

I was in hospital for 2 nights. I came home yesterday afternoon but was worn out and pretty much just wanted to catch up on water and get some rest.

Post surgery they sent me
the wrong food tray, which I pointed out to them (thank goodness I was prepared). When I called the nurse, she knew immediately and took it away, and called for the correct tray. By the time that arrived, I had just enough time to slowly consume my broth, when the P. A. came in to check on me.

Unfortunately for me, it was bad timing, because I had just said "excuse me, I'm gonna burp.... either that or I'm gonna throw up, I don't know which one yet". I was kinda joking, kinda not. It was a deep burp, hadn't quite made its way up yet, but I didn't feel nauseous or anything, but immediately I was put back on ice chips.

They advanced me from assisted walking to independent walking early the day after surgery, so early everyone kepy asking me where I thought I was going! (It didn't help that I brought my sneakers and put them on for every trip out of bed)

My surgeon removed my drain that afternoon, and OMG! What a difference drain (or lack thereof) makes! Prior to the removal of the drain, my pain was all on the side of the drain, and at times was pretty bad. Out came the drain, so did the pain!

My surgeon put my back on clear liquids, and I received a tray immediately. I tolerated everything just fine. Unfortunately they forgot to send me my dinner tray. I started asking about it at 6 pm, but between shift changes, an emergency and busy night, my meal never made it to me. I got more than a little emotional over this. It wasn't that I was hungry, it was that I needed to prove that I could eat.

The next morning I burst out into tears when the doctor was considering keeping me an extra day. I literally cried out "but I've been walking two laps of the wing on my own"!
He decided to try me on full liquids. He saw that I was motivated and wanted to give me chance.

I got tired of walking the halls in my hospital gown and pretty much insisted on putting on my own short and tye dye t-shirt (with the understanding that I was not necessarily being discharged, but everyone knew that I was) while I waited for my upgraded food tray.

I felt human again, sitting in a chair, taking some tiny spoonfuls of a tiny cup of cream of chicken soup (which would have looked ridiculous to me before, but now looked a but overwhelming. It was delicious. I took everything very, very slow. Just sat there listening to the an audio book taking a tiny spoonful at a time, and I kid you not, sometimes dowsing off between bites, but I was in heaven. Until I realized I still had 3 other tiny containers to eat before they brought my lunch tray.

I didn't panic, I just decided that the decaf coffee they sent had no nutritional value and did not need to be consumed, on to the yogurt. I don't like Greek yogurt, well I didn't think I did. But this stuff was sooooo good. Tiny bites, slow and steady, oops I fell asleep again.

I eventually made it through my breakfast tray, minus decaf coffee, and got the news I'd be discharged by 4 pm, just about the time when my lunch tray arrived.

So anyway, you folks forgot to change the locks when I left because it was easy Peasy getting back in! I'm glad to be back!

Last edited:
Yay, Kathi. I am really glad to hear you are doing so well. Having your own clothes on really does make a huge difference, doesn't it? I cracked up that you put on sneakers to walk around the halls because ... of course you did lol We would never lock you out!! Welcome to the other side.

Glad to have you back Kathi! So glad things went well (albeit a few bumps) and that you are now home.

Kathi,
So glad you are done, home and are on the other side now. I think your anesthesia is not worn off because you said the stuff they gave you to eat was "delicious". I puked for 6 months and really NOTHING sounds delicious to me any more. Doesn't mean I don't eat, it is just so "nada" now.
Think they removed the "delicious" part of my stomach. I would like it back, without the accompanying weight.
I want to be you with YOUR GREAT ATTITUDE. You are doing amazing.
Sharon

LOL, I just reread my post, I must have just taken a painkiller! I can't believe how many typos I made! Too many to go in and fix in my current condition! At least I remembered to use paragraphs so that the grumpy old lady, oh! er, uhm, sorry didn't see you there Diane! :eek:

Just kidding Diane, I love paragraphs and you too! Old people too! Grumpy ladies too!

Anyways, by now you're thinking I'm over medicated! That's just wishful typing on my part.

I not only wore my sneakers in the halls, I wore them every time I got out of bed for anything, even for bathroom or just to walk in room just to get out of wearing their stupid spotted tude socks!

Had my surgery Wednesday morning (RNY). It went very well, surgery took less time than expected.

I did have brief episode of presurgical wonderlust, either that or I was so nervous I was hallucinating. When I got up to take my shower at 4 am my weight was 199.8 lbs.

I was in hospital for 2 nights. I came home yesterday afternoon but was worn out and pretty much just wanted to catch up on water and get some rest.

Post surgery they sent me
the wrong food tray, which I pointed out to them (thank goodness I was prepared). When I called the nurse, she knew immediately and took it away, and called for the correct tray. By the time that arrived, I had just enough time to slowly consume my broth, when the P. A. came in to check on me.

Unfortunately for me, it was bad timing, because I had just said "excuse me, I'm gonna burp.... either that or I'm gonna throw up, I don't know which one yet". I was kinda joking, kinda not. It was a deep burp, hadn't quite made its way up yet, but I didn't feel nauseous or anything, but immediately I was put back on ice chips.

They advanced me from assisted walking to independent walking early the day after surgery, so early everyone kepy asking me where I thought I was going! (It didn't help that I brought my sneakers and put them on for every trip out of bed)

My surgeon removed my drain that afternoon, and OMG! What a difference drain (or lack thereof) makes! Prior to the removal of the drain, my pain was all on the side of the drain, and at times was pretty bad. Out came the drain, so did the pain!

My surgeon put my back on clear liquids, and I received a tray immediately. I tolerated everything just fine. Unfortunately they forgot to send me my dinner tray. I started asking about it at 6 pm, but between shift changes, an emergency and busy night, my meal never made it to me. I got more than a little emotional over this. It wasn't that I was hungry, it was that I needed to prove that I could eat.

The next morning I burst out into tears when the doctor was considering keeping me an extra day. I literally cried out "but I've been walking two laps of the wing on my own"!
He decided to try me on full liquids. He saw that I was motivated and wanted to give me chance.

I got tired of walking the halls in my hospital gown and pretty much insisted on putting on my own short and tye dye t-shirt (with the understanding that I was not necessarily being discharged, but everyone knew that I was) while I waited for my upgraded food tray.

I felt human again, sitting in a chair, taking some tiny spoonfuls of a tiny cup of cream of chicken soup (which would have looked ridiculous to me before, but now looked a but overwhelming. It was delicious. I took everything very, very slow. Just sat there listening to the an audio book taking a tiny spoonful at a time, and I kid you not, sometimes dowsing off between bites, but I was in heaven. Until I realized I still had 3 other tiny containers to eat before they brought my lunch tray.

I didn't panic, I just decided that the decaf coffee they sent had no nutritional value and did not need to be consumed, on to the yogurt. I don't like Greek yogurt, well I didn't think I did. But this stuff was sooooo good. Tiny bites, slow and steady, oops I fell asleep again.

I eventually made it through my breakfast tray, minus decaf coffee, and got the news I'd be discharged by 4 pm, just about the time when my lunch tray arrived.

So anyway, you folks forgot to change the locks when I left because it was easy Peasy getting back in! I'm glad to be back!
Congrats!! Being out of the hospital makes a huge difference, although I barely remember it now, there was so much going on. I was only there 2 days. Glad you are feeling well

Kathi, your post literally transported my memory back 14 years. You reminded me of things I forgot. Excellent job, thank you.

After my surgery, in the evening, I was eating ice chips and my nurse was busy yakking about some stupid crap to another worker instead of tending to me. I began to feel the unmistakable signs of oncoming vomiting and tried to get her attention. She literally waved her hand at me to shush as I started to convulse. So I turned and aimed at her, since she was in my logical path anyway, and just barfed like an ice-water ICBM right at her.

Unfortunately I didn't hit her, and unbelievably, she reacted as if I had done something wrong, not as a patient she was ignoring.

Oh yeah, you can bet I reported her to the hospital. Nothing came of it except an apology from the ombudsman, whose job it was to "handle" me.

Anyway, it's not altogether relevant to your story, but I'll bet a lot of people here can relate. WLS is a difficult experience if you have to have an open procedure, and maybe it's sort of looked down on by medical professionals who also have patients with serious, acute injuries.

I had to spend most of 3 days in the hospital. It was amazing how much better I felt when I got home.

Kathi, your post literally transported my memory back 14 years. You reminded me of things I forgot. Excellent job, thank you.

After my surgery, in the evening, I was eating ice chips and my nurse was busy yakking about some stupid crap to another worker instead of tending to me. I began to feel the unmistakable signs of oncoming vomiting and tried to get her attention. She literally waved her hand at me to shush as I started to convulse. So I turned and aimed at her, since she was in my logical path anyway, and just barfed like an ice-water ICBM right at her.

Unfortunately I didn't hit her, and unbelievably, she reacted as if I had done something wrong, not as a patient she was ignoring.

Oh yeah, you can bet I reported her to the hospital. Nothing came of it except an apology from the ombudsman, whose job it was to "handle" me.

Anyway, it's not altogether relevant to your story, but I'll bet a lot of people here can relate. WLS is a difficult experience if you have to have an open procedure, and maybe it's sort of looked down on by medical professionals who also have patients with serious, acute injuries.

I had to spend most of 3 days in the hospital. It was amazing how much better I felt when I got home.

OMG! I can't even imagine how it horrible it would have felt to have actually vomited! Burping was hard enough and I didn't have an open procedure!

I did have my gallbladder removed 31 years ago in an open procedure. I know just coughing made it feel like my insides were going to fall out.

Overall my nurses were very good. It was just that one night, when they were really busy.

The only nurse that I felt judged by was my was the preop nurse. She seemed to be trying to talk me out it.

None of my post-op nurses seemed to judge me at all. They were all very caring and if anything, I'd say they were supportive.

Back