• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I'm new here; need encouragement

jcunkle

My name is Jennifer, I am 54 years old and am nine days post gastric sleeve surgery. One of my surgical incisions bruised significantly and I am in much more pain than anticipated. I went for my first post-op visit yesterday and was told that I was doing fine; to continue with Tylenol for pain, but am feeling very isolated and discouraged. I have been managing my clinical depression for many years and take quite a few medications. Taking them has been going ok, but I am already wondering if malabsorption is a problem as I am crying and feeling down every day. Any folks of similar age out there who can comment on how long it took before they felt more free from surgical pain?

The pain will not last. The surgery also does a number on our hormones which can affect the way we feel. You are not alone in feeling this way. Be patient with yourself. Your medication may need to be adjusted as you lose weight but i am confident you will soon feel better and losing the weight has positive effects both mentally and physically. Hang in there, you got this!!!

The pain will not last. The surgery also does a number on our hormones which can affect the way we feel. You are not alone in feeling this way. Be patient with yourself. Your medication may need to be adjusted as you lose weight but i am confident you will soon feel better and losing the weight has positive effects both mentally and physically. Hang in there, you got this!!!
Thank you so much, what a great first response to receive!

Hi, Jennifer. Welcome to the group! It can take several weeks to begin to feel normal again. In addition to the hormonal issues and having just had major surgery, you're not getting very many calories so you're probably fatigued, cranky and emotional. I used to cry in the shower and I don't have depression. It is a trying few weeks for certain. You knew it would be. I know that doesn't make it any easier yo go through NOW.

So, give yourself some time to heal. This feeling is temporary. Very soon you are going to start to reap the benefits of this decision. And you'll start to feel AMAZING! It really is worth every bit of the struggle.

Hi Jennifer, welcome! I had gastric sleeve surgery in January of this year. The pain you are experiencing will not last. I definitely struggled with emotions after my surgery for a few months. I hope that won't be the case for you and you will start feeling better soon. I sprinkle the contents of my anti depression medication onto applesauce or yogurt per the doctor.
The first few weeks post surgery were challenging. I would take a walk around the block each day and be wiped out but daily walks did help and I rebuilt my strength. I know it's tough right now for you, but you can make it through!

Back