• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I'm new to Forums. Encouragement needed to get my head back into the game!

Graced247

Hi all, I'm new here. I has GBS June 27, 2013. Weight loss was going well until a year later when my world turned upside down. Almost another year has passed and I'm having trouble getting my head back in the game. Please help!

Hi all, I'm new here. I has GBS June 27, 2013. Weight loss was going well until a year later when my world turned upside down. Almost another year has passed and I'm having trouble getting my head back in the game. Please help!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

Sorry you have had personal problems that have got you off track! Looks like you have lost a significant amount of weight and have done very well in the past. Go back to basics and do what you did in the beginning of your journey, perhaps a few days or week on a liquid diet to shrink your tummy back down. Then eat high protein foods as you did to lose your initial weight. Cut out your bad carbs. I like to eat salads and meat to drop weight.

Remember that you need to get control of this before you gain weight back. We are here for you!

Good Luck!

Cheyenne :cool:

Hi Cheyenne,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my plea for help. How are you so positive? In a way, I'm afraid that even if I try to get my head together, I will fail. I'm almost paralyzed with fear. When you say a liquid diet, do you mean for 2 meals per day?

Thanks,

Graced247

Hi Graced!

Let's look at the positive side to this. You are already successful having dropped from 250lb to 182lb. Congratulations!!! You have done WONDERFUL! Now you just want to fine tune your weight by losing a few more pounds. Just 27 more pounds to goal weight! You can do this!!!

I was born a positive person. I see a glass half full not half empty. I had my bariatric surgery in June of 2013 too. It was the best decision of my life! I loved my journey, watching the weight melt away was most rewarding. I still have more weight to lose but lately I have been doing more a maintenance diet to take a little break til I am once again ready to shed more pounds. I am 66 yrs old now and the more weight I lose the more wrinkles I have. Lol

Just think positive. :cool: and you will be successful!

Cheyenne

Hi,

It is so important to be positive with this.

Cheyenne is so right.

For me I have a process that I absolutely follow. I reached my goal. I see you still have a way to go to reach your goal so you may have to adjust a bit.

You must keep track of what you are consuming. You must make sure you get your protein.

As Cheyenne suggests get back to basics. Look at all the positive things that have resulted to date. You have lost a good amount of weight already. More will happen.

Start listing all the good things that you have accomplished and all the things you can now do that you couldn't when before WLS.

Here is my list:

Accomplishments as a result of my Bariatric Gastric Bypass (11/4/2013)

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year.
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy and I can dance, dance and dance!
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now and I can see my toes.
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 
• Fit in to a small diner booth !
• I can run up and down stairs several times without becoming breathless
• I squeeze out between two cars that were tightly parked together. A year ago I couldn’t get out of the car; I would be trapped.
• I squeezed into a size 38 pair of pants. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping on side is comfortable now. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping flat on my back is doing fine too. No longer need to be propped up. (6/1/2014)
• I have reached my goal of under 200. I weigh 197 (9/9/2014)
• Size 38 Pants fitting comfortably now (9/9/2014)

Best wishes,

Ralph

Oh one more thing.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to brag about my accomplishments again. This helps me tremendously. It serves as a reminder to me that I never want to go backwards and gain the weight back.

I had my surgery on 11/4/2013. I reached goal of 199 by 7/2014. I am coming up on my first anniversary of being at goal weight.

I have a technique that I follow faithfully.

I have created three zones green, yellow and red.

Green zone is when I am at goal of lower (199 or less for me).

Yellow zone is when I am between 199 to 204.

Red zone is when I reach 205.

I spend most of my time now in yellow zone getting back to green.

I have hit red zone a few times.

So, here is what I do based on what zone I am in.

If I am in the "green" I simply enjoy whatever I want keeping my net caloric intake in the area of 1800 to 2000 calories. Net is total calories minus calories burned with formal exercise.

If I am in the "yellow" zone I cut back to a net calorie intake of 1200 to 1500 calories in a day.

Ir I am in the "red" zone I cut back to 1200 calories or a little less. I go back to my shakes for a couple of days and get myself back into the yellow zone and then I am fine again.

I am not going to allow the weight to come back. It can come back if you don't follow a good regimen.

If there are certain foods that you simply cannot have since they are such a challenge then eliminate them from your diet.

I personally believe in a little of anything but not a lot. So, I enjoy many foods; many that so many folks will not go near. I simply make a small portion. I have kept my stomach small. This is so critical. Don't go back to large meals ever again.

When I am out to dinner with my wife I have an appetizer as my meal. Many times I cannot even finish the appetizer.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for so many encouraging thoughts. I'm trying to go back to basics but a part of me is scared of being hungry. I remember at my highest weight, whenever I left home I would always bring a snack with me, just in case. In case of what, I really don't know. I think my pouch has lost the sensation of being full and I'm not sure how to re-train myself to be happy with little bits of food. What is a typical meal like for you and do you eat protein bars?

Still Trying,

Grace

Hi I am only 6 mos out from surgery and am starting to pick up be habits again. I try each day to get back on track. So plan your meals in advance, shop for the right foods so you have them, and start each day with the I can do this attitude and go from there I made it until 9 pm yesterday before eating sugar (my new issue) not as long today but each meal/snack is a new chance to start again.

Hi Graced 247
Maybe you can start again by doing a 1200 calorie "diet" eat protein first then your non starchy veggies followed by a starch food then fruit and a little fat. Eat one food at a time and eat slowly. I think our minds can play such mean tricks on us and we have the thought of I have failed at all other diets I'm going to fail at this too. You can do this just take it one day at a time. Take a picture of yourself now and find a picture from before your surgery and look at how far you have come. I wish you the best and just keep telling yourself I can do it.

Back