• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I'm new to the support group

kbloom

Hello fellow WLS friends. We sure do need support before, during and after. Glad to find this site and hope this is a positive experience. I had the sleeve in April 2012. Approaching my 6 month checkup.

Hi KBloom, Welcome. Your doing fantastic 141 lbs in 6 months, hope all is well with your check up, I hear you guys (sleeve patients) don't have the malabsorbtion issues like we (RnY) have, do they do blood work to check your vitamin levels just to make sure your not lacking? Keep up the good work. :cool: Tom

Look at your numbers. What an inspiration!
My loss included 3 months of intense pre=op weight loss. Required by my bariatric center including 6 weeks of opti-fast.
Sleevers don't have malabsorbtion issues, and we have blood work every 3 months the first year, and annual afterwards. They say we starve, and you don't absorb food. I am never hungry as the sleeve is known to remove the part of the stomach that relays the hunger symptom. So I have to remind myself to take in my protein. So far the excitement of results has stopped any emotional hunger from taking hold so far. Take care Tom.

Hi bartman, I am a sleever as well. Congratulations on your amazing progress. So glad to see more people on the site who are getting the sleeve as we do have differnt issues. Interesting about how "we starve". I don't feel like I am starving, but when others see what I eat they think I am starving. I had no hunger for the first 2 months, but now I have normal hunger sometimes. I had blood work done shortly after surgery, because I was feeling such fatigue. Sure enough I was deficient in several vitamins, andneeded to add to my regular regime. I didn't have to go on any meal replacement diet before my surgery, but for some reason I lost 8 pounds before surgery. So total weight loss of 59 pounds in 4 months. I am losing a lot slower than I thought, but like someone on the site said to me " this time you will keep the weight off". Those words really helped change my mindset. Keep coming back and let us know how you are doing. So happy you are on your way to a new life.

Reading all of these posts with all of the fantastik weight losses are a true inspiration to me :) I'm stuck but maintaining what I have managed to lose so far but I need to get the scale moving again. I used to journal my food daily using MyFitnessPal but stopped for a while. I started tracking daily again a few days ago and can see where I am going wrong. I'm going to use the food diary that MyFitnessPal maintained for me and plan my meals accordingly. It was a real wake up call for me to see how my meal plan changed over the course of 2 months. I actually feel hungry several times a day for the last 2 months where before I ate just to make sure I got enough protein. I discussed this with my nutritionist a couple weeks ago but she didn't explain why this is happening and just told me to start tracking calories. It's just something I need to deal with if I want to reach my goal and I want that more than anything.

Back