• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I'm starving... pre-op diet is killing me!

Can anyone help? Any suggestions.... I have adkins shakes, I have only found 1 soup I like that is a "cream" soup. I can have sugar free pudding, yogurt and jello but I'm hungry. I don't know if I am missing something. Is there a secret to this?
Hi. I'm considering surgery. That's what brought me to this site/forum. I'm thinking of following the pre-op diet hoping to lose weight even though I'm not scheduled for surgery. I suggest investing in a good blender to make your own soups and shakes. It will come in handy post op also. Drink out of fancy cups and have special plates/bowls-presentation might help the experience of pre-op diet. Make it a special occasion- it's the beginning of your journey to be the best "you" that you can be. Good luck, remember to enjoy the journey. Take care, Hope

Iam on the pre op diet now and its killing me also! Iam on day 7 of 14 before surgery. I do 1 premier shake for breakfast and lunch, 4 ounces of chicken or fish plus a green veggie for dinner. In between its sugar free jello and sugar free popcycles!!

I am on my 7 days of just liquid and I am trying so hard, but wow it not easy and I can't drink the shakes at all I gag or throw up so I have switched to isopure drinks which has 40 grams of protein and have 2 -3 a day plus water and that's it. I can't have any solid food this week. Which is hard because my hubby and his kids still eat whatever they want . So it's hard

Hi, Im scheduled for gastric bypass on June 16, 2016. My initial weight 215, I am diabetic, high blood pressure, cholesterol, and thyroid problems, oh I forgot to mention sleep amnia! My goal is 130lbs. My Dr. Put me on a high protein low carb diet for 1wk. and all clear liquids for 1 wk. Im at 207lbs. now and Im a bit worried as I read most pre ops are on a 2wk. liquid diet. Any opinions on this?

I was on a liver shrinking diet for two weeks prior to my surgery. I ate a lot of salad with tuna (red wine vinegar for dressing.) The protein shakes have come so far in the 9 years since I had my surgery. Premier shakes are awesome. I mix the vanilla or chocolate shakes with my coffee to add a little more nutrition to my morning cup of joe. The Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurt is awesome. Wish I had that back in the day.

Can anyone help? Any suggestions.... I have adkins shakes, I have only found 1 soup I like that is a "cream" soup. I can have sugar free pudding, yogurt and jello but I'm hungry. I don't know if I am missing something. Is there a secret to this?
I hope you got your answer. My surgeon wanted us on 2 weeks liquid diet and suggested only Bariatric Advantage Shakes or soups and hot chocolate. We could drink up to 5 shakes a day. We were encouraged to drink 64oz plus a day of water outside of the shakes. I lost 20 lbs pre-surgery and was severely dehydrated when I went into surgery. In fact the surgeon had to hang 3 bags of fluid before my kidneys began to work again. If your doing this on your own, be careful and be ready to consult a physician or dietitian for your metabolic needs. Don't give up you will make it.

Iam on the pre op diet now and its killing me also! Iam on day 7 of 14 before surgery. I do 1 premier shake for breakfast and lunch, 4 ounces of chicken or fish plus a green veggie for dinner. In between its sugar free jello and sugar free popcycles!!
I'm on the pre-op too and realize you could have the chicken or fish until a couple of days ago. I was google searching and found this. So we had found some canned chicken salad that has like 36 grams of protein and boy was that good. I told my husband, I'm so hungry, I can't stand this. They didn't really tell me too much except follow the pre-op diet and I was originally thinking I was having the sleeve done and had done all this research on it to find out I'm having the gastric by pass. Surprised me, but got to do what doc feels is best for me. All I can say for the pre op, I found cream of wheat helpful and mixed in my protein with it, tasted pretty good. Found a protein powder for 2 lbs on Puritan Pride, you buy one, get one free for I think was $46 and it's pretty good. Only thing is you get the same flavor free, so I ordered two and have found them both pretty good. Found the exact thing on a few other sites and it was $55 just for one. Hope this helps anyone who's looking for protein shakes. Good Luck Everyone!!

i’m on day one of the 2 week post up liquid diet. i was told by my surgeon that i could only have liquids, jello and ice pops sf. he specifically wrote NO SOLID FOODS AT ALL!! i’m seeing people saying they are eating chicken, fish and veggies. i’m starving here, so am i allowed to eat those or not?

It's just temporary, right? You have a phased diet and it begins with these foods and then gradually works up to solid foods. Is that right? if not please let us know
well i’m pre op right now but i’ve done more research then anybody and have talked with so many doctors, attended so many meetings. post op, you start liquid diet but gradually, the food gets more and more solid. so yes it’s just temporary.

You should eat what your doctor prescibes. You should have a list. By the time you read this, you should be enjoying preed food, which is, essentially, solid.

I know you're going insane. Join the club. There's nothing youre feeling right now that we haven't suffered through.

Here's a cheat you can try. Take a few ounces of canned chicken and blend the hell out of it with 4 oz. Of chicken broth. Get it so liquefied you can pour it through a mesh strainer.

Sip it verrrrrrry slowly. Heat it, if you want.

I don't know why you can't have creamed soups and cereals, super- thinned. Hot food in liquid form should be allowed, as long as they're truly liquid.

You should ave a bariatric nutritionist who can advise you.

i’m on day one of the 2 week post up liquid diet. i was told by my surgeon that i could only have liquids, jello and ice pops sf. he specifically wrote NO SOLID FOODS AT ALL!! i’m seeing people saying they are eating chicken, fish and veggies. i’m starving here, so am i allowed to eat those or not?
If you are Post-Op then NO! Liquids only for first week! Sugar free Gatorade, veggie broth, water and sip, sip sip. No solid foods if you just had your surgery.

I've noticed a lot of variation in pre-surgery diets. Mine was not that hard to follow but some have patients on total liquids for quite some time. They want to make sure weight is lost before surgery so that it can shrink the liver and make it easier for them to do their job. Some doctors will even cancel last minute if patients don't do their part, so always best to follow your own doctors advice no matter what you hear others are allowed to do.

Hang in there, as Diane said it is only temporary. Try to distract yourself and keep yourself busy. Good luck!

This was emotionally hard for me bc I lost my BFF (food) and no longer even desired it. I’m now on week 3 and have slowly gained back an appetite. I’m now able to eat chicken, fish, bacon, avocados, some veggies. Next week I will be trying lean beef. Hang in there, this is tough on us. Time seems to go slow during this time but before you know it you’ve moved onto the next stage.

Even a bad habit can be a great friend. When I quit smoking, I dug a grave in the yard, put all my paraphernalia in, then cried and performed an actual funeral, followed my a period of mourning.

Food is even harder, because you can't quit it. But you could bury certain food items you won't be eating anymore and honor the loss consciously. You'll never eat another Twinkie without extreme conflict.

Back