• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Im Struggling Big Time!

I'm fairly young to have this surgery however have countless disorders which have granted me the opportunity to have this surgery. My doctor put me on a pre-op diet with 4 shakes a day and a protein bar in-between. I still have a full week to go, its only my first day and I cried to my mom about how hard it was, but I know its going to be worth it in the end. How did you avoid snacking, how were you able to get past the rough days in the beginning towards your surgery, what's the best thing or "snack" I can eat? This has been a struggle all of my life and I am not giving up but man it sure is difficult. :(

Hi Jilly, welcome to the group! So sorry you are struggling. The pre-surgery diet is so tough. Some doctors make theirs so strict too. The reason you need to lose weight before surgery is to shrink the liver down which helps the doctor move around it to get to the stomach. Sometimes it helps to know the reason (in case the doctor didn't tell you) why you need to lose weight before having WLS. Try to busy yourself and take your mind off of your hunger. It will not only make the time go faster but help you to forget thinking about food. You could try a new hobby, read a good book, clean out your closet, whatever works! Good luck and I hope this pre-surgery stage passes quickly for you.

Hi, Jilly. The pre-op diet sucks. I was on liquid for 2 weeks and they provided the 3 8oz "meals" I could have. The meals consisted of either an 8 ounce soup or protein shake, or a 6 ounce pudding. At least it broke up the monotony. I could also have a sugar free jello or popsicle a day. I cried in the shower and reminded myself of why I was doing this to begin with and that I could do anything for 2 weeks .. probably lol But, I did it and so can you.
As for practical advice, go ahead and pick up some sugar free jello and popsicles. They're still liquid but at least they're something. Also, you can add ice to your protein shakes so they have a more milkshake like texture. Buy flavored "squirts" or syrups to mix up the flavors of the protein shakes. There are a million protein shake hacks out there.
Hang in there. You are halfway there. You're doing it. It IS 2 weeks of misery, but keep your eye on your long term goals. And like Judy said, get busy doing literally anything to keep your mind off it.

Everyone keeps saying how much energy I have while doing my yard projects. It is not about energy but having a goal, which is not eating. So far it has worked. I am staying busy outside of the house and not spending too much time in the kitchen. My son got me listening to audible books. A series he recommended was by terry mancore ”the spellmonger series”. The series is very good. In the second book the main char talks about having to pee. He gets up has to pee, so many things happen as excuses before he gets to go. You will laugh a lot. Reorganize your wardrobe for stuff you don’t ever want to see again. Donate it. This is a time to explore.

As far a flavors of protein shakes ”Body by Vi” has tons of recipes. I substitute other protein powders for their brand. Plus making the protein shake thicker with ice is my go to. I like thick shakes.

Everyone keeps saying how much energy I have while doing my yard projects. It is not about energy but having a goal, which is not eating. So far it has worked. I am staying busy outside of the house and not spending too much time in the kitchen. My son got me listening to audible books. A series he recommended was by terry mancore ”the spellmonger series”. The series is very good. In the second book the main char talks about having to pee. He gets up has to pee, so many things happen as excuses before he gets to go. You will laugh a lot. Reorganize your wardrobe for stuff you don’t ever want to see again. Donate it. This is a time to explore.

As far a flavors of protein shakes ”Body by Vi” has tons of recipes. I substitute other protein powders for their brand. Plus making the protein shake thicker with ice is my go to. I like thick shakes.
Thank you all, I have my surgery in two days and I managed to stick to it. I am currently reading "The Art Of War". I decided to take my mind off of my hunger by reorganizing the fridge and pantry, even washed all of my families cars lol. I am excited for this life change thank you all. <3

Back