• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I'm worried I'm eating too much HELP

I am 2 weeks post op today. Up until today my calorie intake was 200-500. My surgeon does this a lil faster it seems so I'm already on soft foods. I ate almost 1000 calories today and I'm freaking out. I feel like a failure! Help me please.

what are you eating? How often are you eating? What is the expectation of your NUT at this point. You are not a failure. You are learning how to eat after WLS. Share more about what is going on. Your weight loss is exceptional at this point. Don't panic you will be okay. This is all very overwhelming at first. Hugs to you

Kim thank you so much for your reply I am eating eggs with low-fat melted cheese or low-fat mayo and also tuna but I started making smoothies with fruit instant breakfast and milk well one today and I don't know if that something to do with it and also i.e. tonight I ate a 4th "meal" of egg salad a 1/3 cup later in the evening when I wasn't hungry I think it was more emotional so I did do some coaching calls and I am just trying to be kind to myself. I'm gonna get on the treadmill walk and tomorrow is another day I just need to be kinder to myself

Head hunger is the hardest part of this journey. So glad you reached out to someone for support. Kindness is essential. What we choose to put into our bodies is also one measure of how kind we are being to oneself. Your soft foods sound okay. I am not familiar with instant breakfast. Does it have enough protein in it? Also is it high in carbs or sugar? These things can trigger cravings. Once you can eat protein that is more dense you will feel satisfied sooner and with less. Remember to not drink for 30 minutes after you eat so the food can stay in your pouch. Surround yourself with people who support you. If you can, get to a local support group and come back here often. You don't have to be on this road alone.

I am 2 weeks post op today. Up until today my calorie intake was 200-500. My surgeon does this a lil faster it seems so I'm already on soft foods. I ate almost 1000 calories today and I'm freaking out. I feel like a failure! Help me please.

I also started soft foods at 2 wks. I was on applesauce and cottage cheese and then by week 3 (tuna, salmon, fish, eggs, cheese). You will be ok, you just had a temporary lapse in judgement. The foods you ate weren't bad just more calories than you should be having at this time. One day with some extra calories won't hurt anything. Today is a new day. You're doing SUPER!!! Keep up the great work! Join us often on this site, at least a couple times a day. We are all here to help each other. Some days are always better than others. We all need a little help from time to time. :)

Cheyenne

Keep in mind that Gastric Bypass aka Roux en Y is far different than the sleeve aka VSG.. People with the sleeve aka VSG do not have to work with malabsorption issues as we RNY folks do.

Those of us with the RNY aka Gastric Bypass not only have smaller pouches but we are also malabsorptive as well, which mean we do NOT absorb all of the calories and nutrients from our meals.. Watch the amount of food your consuming at any given time.. When I was on soft food I was consuming 1 to 1.5 ounces of protein first then followed by 1 ounce of very soft steamed veggies OR very soft fruit at 3 meals per day. At that point I was also supplementing my protein intake with protein shakes...

I am now at a point where I am on regular foods and have found that I am able to consume on most days at most meals no more than 2 to 2.5 ounces of protein and 1 to 1.5 ounce of either fruits, veggies or a complex carb. If I am able to consume all of that then I have issues with my 2 servings of milk and 1 yogurt a day.. I am still supplementing my protein intake with 1 to 2 shake a day.

Please stop obsessing and letting the fat brain try to make you believe your failing...

Your doing AWESOME.. Relax and enjoy all of the changes and let your brain catch up to your body and all of the changes, it takes some time. This is a learning process..

I've had to stay away from smoothies at this point in the process. Every time I make one (and it sounds similar to what you make) I find that I consume too many carbs and calories for that day. It's a learning process. You need to find what works for you, and if it doesn't fit into the plan, drop it for now. There are lots of other choices for your daily meal plan. I know it's discouraging when you eat something healthy, but it's still "bad" for you right now. Because your focus right now is to lose the weight.

Thank you! Everyone is so helpful on here and you are so right I have stop obsessing. I weighed myself today and I'm under 300 for the first time in a while. I also went back to making my protein shakes with protein powder skim milk Greek yogurt and a cup of two different frozen fruits. With my walks it's been working out a lot better. I was under 600cal yesterday. I went to work for the first time since surgery and that was great. I'm a barista and I love my customers. I also found a local support group that I plan on going to next month. Thank you everyone I love you all!

There you go. Keep doing what works for you. You will succeed. Glad to hear you will be getting additional support it really helps. Keep us updated on your progress.

There is one good thing. You know how many calories you ate. That proves that you can plan what you eat and get the needed nutrients. You are losing. You will continue to lose. Sorry but freaking out won't help. Maybe you could write down what you ate and see where you can substitute lower calorie foods. Or go back to the beginning for a day or two and maybe get some relief from worry. My visit to the Doc today was about the same thing. I thought I wasn't doing well. Turns out I was wrong. So I'm even more determined to stick to what the doctor says.

I'm at at a little over 5 weeks and still working out on days I don't work...being on my feet for 4-7 hrs is exhausting... I know that the protein shakes are my biggest calorie intake...I'm eating about 800 calories to 1000 a day.. I am so hard on myself and in the last 10 days I have only lost 2 lbs is this normal anyone else had this experience?

I'm at at a little over 5 weeks and still working out on days I don't work...being on my feet for 4-7 hrs is exhausting... I know that the protein shakes are my biggest calorie intake...I'm eating about 800 calories to 1000 a day.. I am so hard on myself and in the last 10 days I have only lost 2 lbs is this normal anyone else had this experience?

Based on what your stats say you have lost quiet a bit of weight, 61.5 pounds since your surgery... That's pretty darn excellent in one month and 10 days that's like an average 1.70 pounds per day, Not shabby at all.

STOP being your worst enemy, STOP Obsessing on your weight, STOP weighing yourself all of the time (KEEP the scale to once a month) and Enjoy your new life. Get to know your new body..

Obsessing is not a good thing to be dealing with especially with all of the changes and those that are coming while on this journey....

STOP OBSESSING............................................ Your doing awesome!!!!!!!!!

Ok my turn.

You are doing terrific. Really Terrific. Once you are past 5 weeks you are moving to regular foods. Two things: make sure you get the required protein in each day. I think woman are 60-80 grams and men are 80 to 90 grams per day of protein and yes I still need to use protein drinks/shakes to achieve this goal. Secondly, keep control of your carbs. Many of us really restrict our carbs. I have been averaging about 100 to 150 grams of carbs per day. But when I focus I keep them between 60 to 100 grams in a day. The real limit that I focus on is 1200 calories per day. This is my limit as directed by my surgeon and nutritionist.

Oh and by the way your weight loss will slow down as you go along. I am 4 months out now and I am losing 6 to 8 pounds per month. I am happy with that. I am nearing my under 200 goal already. Given your weight and the fact that you are staying below 1000 calories right now you will do just fine; just watch those carbs and make sure you have your required protein. It is the protein that satisfies and abates any "hunger" thingys you have going on in your belly or brain.

Right now, I still don't have hunger. Yes, I hear my belly growl once in awhile but I don't equate that to hunger!

Being on your feet for 4 -7 hours at 5 wks post op and then working out on your days off, no wonder you are exhausted. Remember your body needs to heal and you need enough rest. 800 - 1000 calories is good. I just recently raised my calories up to 800 because I was eating 300 a day to try to accelerate my loss and my body thought I was starving and I stopped losing completely. Now I am dropping weight the last several days since I upped my calories. Everyone loses at a different rate but hitting plateaus and then dropping pounds overnight is very common.

Don't get discouraged!

Cheyenne

wow you are doing awsome Superviliscious

It is okay to have days where the calories add up to 1000. There will come a time when it is harder to keep it below that point. Relax and remember attitude is a huge part of the battle. Don't allow yourself to talk negative to you. lol Every time you say something negative follow it by a list of positive things. This can be hard and it hasn't been that long ago that I was where you are now. at 9 months I can ride my bike 30+miles walk farther than any time before so it does get better.

Best of luck and congratulations

I lost 41lbs before surgery and 21 since......

LOL, your point is??? LOL

You have still lost 62 pounds. Stop being negative.

Your still loosing weight and doing wonderfully...

One thing I have learned is, "We are our own worst enemy and we are self defeatist..."

Stop and learn to love yourself, I promise you are worth it.

I am my own worst enemy and you hit the nail on the head...learning that I'm enough and worth it has been the big challenge...even more so since surgery.

Trust me, You are worth it all.....

Stop eating your emotions...

START LOVING YOURSELF, START ACCEPTING THAT YOU ARE WHO YOU ARE.

Do NOT EVER allow another or give another human the control to make you feel bad about yourself..

Learn to control your inner demon whose horns are slipping dangerously off kilter because you are learning to take back your control...

Back