• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

immunine protein drink?

deena212

Hi!

Just finished my last appointment and surgery scheduled for Dec. 11. Just wondering.....

The nutritionist tried to sell me 4 cartons of immune therapy drink for $58. It was to be taken 4 days from surgery. I think this was a bit inappropriate and it felt like they were experimenting with me and I was paying for it. Did this happen to anyone else?

Thanks, Denice

I've never heard of it. But I am also suspicious of offices that try to upsell you for their products. I left my last primary care physician for that very reason. After going into an appointment, paying my co-pay, they would try to see me their vitamins, detox treatment, etc. They had opened a side cash-pay department. Don't let them pressure you to buy something.

I have not heard of any immune drink for pre-op. Tomorrow is my pre-surgical consult, dietician class and exercise physiology testing and class... I'll ask my nurse and nutritionist about this, I am curious now.

My surgeons office carries, at the request of patients specific vitamins and protein powders they have asked the office to carry for patient convenience.
They also inform and include in the patient packs a whole detailed list of the different protein powders and bariatric vitamins available through retail suppliers such as Wal Mart, GNC, Target, Vitamin Shoppe, on-line, etc...

I do know I will be including a pro-biotic to my vitamin regimen for several months after surgery.

My surgeons office gave us all a goody bag that was based on the type of surgery we were having, the R-N-Y vs the Sleeve.
My pack had protein powder samples, a full sized bottle of Multi-Vitamins, Full sized bottle of Calcium Citrate and a full sized bottle of elemental iron all in chewable form.
My vitamins are strawberry-banana flavor, the calcium is hot chocolate flavor and the iron is grape flavored so we shall see how they taste and agree with me.
LOL, At this rate I swear I need to buy stock in the vitamin industry, between what my husband has bought for me and what the surgeons office has given me, I am set for about a year.

My surgeons office did carry something called ENS + Protein in a pre-portioned 2 week post op kit. I was not told about it so I asked what it is. I was told that it is not needed nor is it necessary. The nurse told me it is a convenience kit only. As long as you have your necessary vitamins, mineral, anti-oxidants, protein and liquids you are good to go.

Way cool

My surgeons office gave us all a goody bag that was based on the type of surgery we were having, the R-N-Y vs the Sleeve.
My pack had protein powder samples, a full sized bottle of Multi-Vitamins, Full sized bottle of Calcium Citrate and a full sized bottle of elemental iron all in chewable form.
My vitamins are strawberry-banana flavor, the calcium is hot chocolate flavor and the iron is grape flavored so we shall see how they taste and agree with me.
LOL, At this rate I swear I need to buy stock in the vitamin industry, between what my husband has bought for me and what the surgeons office has given me, I am set for about a year.

My surgeons office did carry something called ENS + Protein in a pre-portioned 2 week post op kit. I was not told about it so I asked what it is. I was told that it is not needed nor is it necessary. The nurse told me it is a convenience kit only. As long as you have your necessary vitamins, mineral, anti-oxidants, protein and liquids you are good to go.

Thanks so much for letting me know what happened. My pre-op is Dec 2 and I hope I am as lucky! It's good to know that the drink they tried to sell me isn't something that is required or offered everywhere.

I have invested in samples etc and about a years worth of vitamins and protein drinks. Tried some of them, liked a few and didn't. I understand that my taste will change, so I threw nothing out. I have also pureed and frozen in ice cube trays (1 oz each section) everything I have cooked lately including applesauce, egg drop soup, chicken soup, and broths. And have purchased from E-bay 2 oz plastic cups with lids so my husband can separate the drinks into 1 oz size and put them in the frig. Also bought baby spoons and a couple of shaker cups. I hope I am prepared. lol

Please keep me posted as how you are doing and I will do the same. I almost feel like we are going thru this together.

Denice

We are going through this together most definitely.. I will keep you posted from the hospital next week.
My hospital room has a TV / Computer system that I can use to contact everyone from.
At your pre-op are they also holding a nutrition class?
We had a course on pureeing foods for that part of the diet.

The post surgical patient care home care manual, surgery specific, is awesome.
It covered everything from the post surgical diet with an outline on when and what types of foods to add at the appropriate times. It covers a wide variety of subjects related to my lifestyle change.

sounds good

We are going through this together most definitely.. I will keep you posted from the hospital next week.
My hospital room has a TV / Computer system that I can use to contact everyone from.
At your pre-op are they also holding a nutrition class?
We had a course on pureeing foods for that part of the diet.

Wow, your rooms sounds great. I have no idea what mine will look like. I will as them. Also don't know about nutritionists. I just figured I'd put it all in a blender. I hope that will work. Mine has a puree button on it. They claim I will go home on puree food. I hope that works.

I told my husband that I am going to take a few pictures of my room and the Bariatric unit...
They have a bed set up for 1 family to use so you can have your spouse / partner, adult child, etc stay with you for support.

$58 for 4 cartons sounds like a rip off to me. When I was looking for a good bariatric surgeon I went to one surgeon's office to talk to them and they wanted me to buy $400 worth of Optifast from them and $1000 cash paid to their nutritionists, and exercise consultant. No way!!! I found most bariatric surgeon offices include the nutritionists in their price. I eventually found a wonderful surgeon and didn't have to pay anything extra just my co-pay.

My nutritionist leads a few of the group meetings. What she does is bring samples to the meetings for us to taste and try. She does not sell the products.

I found a good protein shake that I am happy with; Premier Protein Vanilla Shakes. It tastes pretty good. It also comes in chocolate. However, immediately after surgery you have to go with clear liquids. I used Isopure grape flavored. It was OK. It does have an after taste, but that isn't so bad. I put it on ice and enjoyed.

I stocked up on chewable calcium, chewable multi-vitamin as well as chewable Vitamin D3. Just watch your calcium. When I drink the shakes they already have 500mg of calcium built into them. I use the chewables to make sure my days intake totals 1500mg.

I also take a klor-con to keep the potassium where it belongs. I will be going for bloodwork early January to see how everything is going.

Ralph

I will also be on Klor-Con for 4 months post op or until no longer needed. Oh my the Vita-Meata-Vegge-Mins list is quiet long...
Lets see Bariatric Multi-Vite, Calcium Citrate, B-12, Iron, Calcium, Vitamin-D, Co-Q10 and Klor-Con all on top of the shakes.
LOL is it possible to get it all in? Yes, I know it is. I do love a challenge though.

Ralph I love the Premier Protein shakes in vanilla, they have the best vanilla I have tried.

I almost fell over when I priced out the ready made Isopure protein drinks. $5.00 a bottle. All I could say was, "WOWZERS."

I will also be on Klor-Con for 4 months post op or until no longer needed. Oh my the Vita-Meata-Vegge-Mins list is quiet long...
Lets see Bariatric Multi-Vite, Calcium Citrate, B-12, Iron, Calcium, Vitamin-D, Co-Q10 and Klor-Con all on top of the shakes.
LOL is it possible to get it all in? Yes, I know it is. I do love a challenge though.

Ralph I love the Premier Protein shakes in vanilla, they have the best vanilla I have tried.

I almost fell over when I priced out the ready made Isopure protein drinks. $5.00 a bottle. All I could say was, "WOWZERS."

I paid $43.67 for 24 - 8 oz bottles of Isopure (grape flavored). I bought them via Amazon.

The average cost per bottle was $1.82. No where near $5.00 a bottle.

Ralph

yes, as Cheyenne said, TOTALLY inappropriate! As a program coordinator and a post-op, I only recommend products if a patient asks and I ALWAYS stipulate that this has worked "IN MY EXPERIENCES" so I don't "push" any one product.

Don't feel pressured into buying anything. That is over the moon expensive. My doctor carries isopure and vitamins but that is more out of a convince thing for patients but they don't try to push anything.

I picked up several tubs of the Isopure Zero Carbs tonight at GNC ... The case of pre made large bottles of the zero carb is buy 3 get 1 free with gold card.

Back