• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

In the Begining

Hi Everyone: Well this is my first post!! And I am in the beginning of my journey. I took a sleep study test begining of week and today is a stress test, then next wednesday they go to scop my throat. Then hopefully if everything goes ok and insurance is good i will get my surgery date. Keep my fingers crossed!!

Hi, MsHarpsteen. You are on your way to a wonderful journey, it is so exciting:D All your test must have been good. Start looking for some protien shakes that you might like, I found this shake mix called Choclite, I have a banana and a strawberry flavor they are both good and today I mixed them that was good too, I like to have one after my work out. What surgery are you having? So Happy for you, keep us posted. :cool: Tom

Hi Tom:
Thanks for advice, I am starting to take diet squirt out now, boy that is going to be my biggest challegen. All I drink but i will. I am having the sleeve,

hi. i do not have my DOS yet, but am also getting the sleeve. did it only take a month for you to go through the testing to surgery date? kit with me!

Hi livingstrong:

I started my journey on the 13 of Jan. Was first visit with Nurse PA, They set up several tests, sleep study, a lot of blood LOL ( never had so much taken at one time) and had stress test done. My blood came back with H-Plorie so had to be scoped in tummy. Saw doctor talked about surgery, had scope. Told me my insurance approved surgery. and today I went and started my 2 week, pre op diet, next week, see PA again for last blood work, and check me for any health issue such as cold. Then following wednesday (Feb29) I have my new sleeve, So in all whole process took me about 6 weeks.
Hope your go's as quick as mine. Hope to hear from you. Good Luck Mary

Are all these pre-op tests always done? I had a endoscopy performed in November and a sonogram on my heart last month. I haven't heard anything about additional tests but it seems, from what I'm reading, that they are standard.
Becky

Hi Becky, Welcome. Every Doctor will givr us what I think are standard tests to make sure we are healthy enough for the surgery and there is nothing else going on inside us. I had an EKG, liver ultrasound, and psychological eval, other folks here have also had sleep apnea tests and a few other kind of tests that I cant recal. If they haven't told you of anything else and all the other tests look good I can't think of anything. You should also see a nutritionist at least once if you haven't done that yet. I seen my nutritionist twice, then my final visit to schedule my surgery was a visit with my surgon. It all seemed like it took forever but it actully wasn't that long. Hang in there and let us know how it is going. :cool: Tom

Thanks for the quick response Tom. So far my insurance has required a 6-month program with a nutritionist and I chose to use the surgical program's nutritionist. So far, I've had the psychological evaluation performed. As far as I knew, those were the only two requirements. I have had some of the tests performed that others have discussed, but they were through my personal physicians, not my bariatric surgeon. I suppose the easiest thing would be to sit back, take a few deep breaths, and relax. You're absolutely right! It seems like everything is moving along at a snail's pace. Thanks again for your response!

Hi Scooter,
Most doctrs will accept the test you've already had just ask your personal docs to fax them the results as long as its been within the last 6 months that you had the test done.

hi msnarpsteen

how are you doing since your surgery? you were very lucky to get all your stuff done so quickly, has the change in diet and all been hard for you?
still waiting my turn for surgery. take care
Donna

I thought of a funny story that I want to share in regards to required testing. I was just starting my tests for RNY surgery when I got a call from my PC's office. I was told I had to have a colonoscopy before my PC would give the bariatric surgeon clearance to do my surgery. It was just her way to make sure I had my colonoscopy in a timely manner and really had nothing to do with a required test for an RNY *LOL*

Thanks all :)

Thanks for all who offered their experience with the required pre-surgery tests. LOL Pat on the tricky PCP trying to get the colonoscopy in on you (no pun intended).

Becky

Back