• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

INCEPTION

I'm probably the only person on earth who hated this movie. Some of the camera effects and some of the special effects were amazing. But the plot was so important to the movie, that it somehow needed to become the main thing. That's okay with me, but what killed me was two hours of mansplaining, because the plot was hard to understand, so Leo is just constantly talking about the concept of inception and that, my friend, is some boring monolog. And all his cohorts either had to think he was brilliant and hang on his every word. Even Ellen Page was virtually stupid about it, but for the mansplaining.

A lot of cinema and tv can't exist without a narrative track, but unless there's some damn good writing there, i'd rather just figure it out for myself. In To Kill a Mockingbird, Scout narrates a lot and her interpretations of the people around her are precious memories of a young Southern girl full of events in her life. Her narration adds to the understanding of the film, just as it did in the book by Harper Lee.

That was also the case in Days of Heaven, narrated by Linda Manz, fit in like a part of the soundtrack. I loved that line in the end, where she & the older girl run off, and there's a man who wants to exploit the older girl, so she goes with him. 'He said he was gonna give her a fuh." A Fur. Wow, puts me right there.

Ewan McGregor's narration to Big Fish was also one of those wonderful, essential things and it improved the movie. And Christian Bale's narration over the scenes in American Psycho explained the life of a stockbroking yuppy we otherwise would not have understood in his alter ego.

Now if inception could have been like that, I might have been able to stick it out. But a movie that might have needed explaining because of its complexity was All The President's men. Yet it was so well directed and set-designed, its music and visuals did it all.

Generally, I think a movie that has to be explained constantly by one of its characters is indicative of a bad script. But who cares what I think? The movie got about a billion ocars and is in everybody's all-time Top Ten. You can't imagine how mad I make Inception fans for not praising it like The Prestige or Interstellar. Christopher Nolan and his brother Jonathan & wife Emma (exec produc) are the hottest ticket going right now. I hope the next collaboration is better.

Back