• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Information needed on any pros or cons on the "G" tube

Surgery scheduled for Monday 7/28/14 and looking on and all information about the "G" tube. I had originally tried for the sleeve version of the surgery but due to "Barrett's Syndrome" I am having the RY by-pass version, the same as of my three sisters had previously (2 were 10+ years ago and 1 was about 6 years ago) so I have a kind of built in support group. However none of them had (or remembers having a "G" tube so what I really am interested in is some insight on what to expect, how long I might have to have it, caring for it etc. I was not presented with the information that I would be receiving a "G tube" until a few days ago during my pre admission testing and counseling and it was apparently not optional (may have had something to do with my "Barretts") so I didn't really have a lot of time to think of questions. Any information would be very helpful. I have already wrapped my mind around all the impending changes so I am not apprehensive about what is coming my way and in fact I am looking forward to having a very high high probability of saying goodbye to Type II Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Sleep Apnea and High Cholesterol not to mention losing some weight! :cool:

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Surgery scheduled for Monday 7/28/14 and looking on and all information about the "G" tube. I had originally tried for the sleeve version of the surgery but due to "Barrett's Syndrome" I am having the RY by-pass version, the same as of my three sisters had previously (2 were 10+ years ago and 1 was about 6 years ago) so I have a kind of built in support group. However none of them had (or remembers having a "G" tube so what I really am interested in is some insight on what to expect, how long I might have to have it, caring for it etc. I was not presented with the information that I would be receiving a "G tube" until a few days ago during my pre admission testing and counseling and it was apparently not optional (may have had something to do with my "Barretts") so I didn't really have a lot of time to think of questions. Any information would be very helpful. I have already wrapped my mind around all the impending changes so I am not apprehensive about what is coming my way and in fact I am looking forward to having a very high high probability of saying goodbye to Type II Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Sleep Apnea and High Cholesterol not to mention losing some weight! :cool:
'
Thanks in advance.

WELCOME to the Forum!!! CONGRATULATIONS on having weight loss surgery!

I had the RNY bypass a little over a year ago. It is going to add years to my life, I'm sure and I would do it over in a heartbeat.

My RNY did not have a tube. Of course you are having the RY so I guess that is different. I did however have a tube in me for 6 weeks because of a stone left in my liver duct because the surgeon left it in accidentally when I had my gallbladder removed. The tube made me dealthly sick, I couldn't keep liquids or food down at all and I spent my six weeks mostly in the hospital with an IV in my arm. The tube was removed 3 wks ago and I'm finally feeling really good again. I'm only mentioning this because if I were you I would get on the internet and read everything you can about your G tube and your RY surgery asap. If it's not on the internet, then I would investigate further. Remember it's your body and your surgeon should explain what the G tube is all about in regards to your surgery. He owes you that. I actually think it's strange he didn't explain it all without you asking about it. My surgeon gave me a special appointment befor my surgery to explain everything and answer all my questions.

Best of luck!!!

Cheyenne

Ok, I looked it up and from what I read the RY is another name for the RNY. Then I looked up the G tube and it's a tube put in the stomach for administering nutrition and medication when the patient can't eat by mouth. It probably does have to do with your Barretts Syndrome. After the RNY surgery you will be on just liquids for at least 2 weeks. But I still think the surgeon should have explained it all to you.

Let us know how you feel after surgery. The best of luck tomorrow!

Cheyenne

Cheyenne & Smiles 50, thanks so much for both of your reply's. I will be getting some more information tomorrow about the "G" tube. In fairness to the surgeon he did mention the tube in our pre-op conference but I did not ask any questions as I thought he was referring to the drain that is common for a few days after surgery. Anyway tomorrow is the big day and I am so ready (good luck with your surgery as well smiles50!).

Thanks again to you both for your kind thoughts

Had a few complications but am now back home!

Surgery was on Monday the 28th. Surgeon told my wife that it took a little longer than planned due to the amount of stomach fat I had. As a result he had to use a lot of air to expand the gastric cavity and I awoke in a lot of pain (controlled by drugs however thank God) and really, really bloated. Long story short I needed to stay a few extra days in the hospital and the good news is I am now home. No other side effects yet (nausea or vomiting) except for the bloating. Meals however are staying down. The big bonus so far is that my blood sugar readings have dropped to low 90's WITHOUT THE METFORMIN! I did find out that the "G" tube is for help in making sure I get all my protein, vitamins etc I need incase I can not drink all the fluids required and if no further need of it will be removed in 3 weeks. Also the pain in my left shoulder disappeared the second the drain was removed on Wednesday! I will update on my progress periodically. Thanks for all the well wishes!

Last edited:
I am so to get my walking in glad you're feeling better. I myself got out of surgery on the 28th and they let me go home on Wednesday I was also feeling bloated but I'm feeling better now trying to get all my water in but this is just no way at this point I drink every 15 minutes. Trying to get my walking in but taking it one day at a time it hurts to walk. Your blood surgery are great! Mine came down a lot but still a bit high. Good luck on your progress can't wait for my first weigh in :)

Surgery was on Monday the 28th. Surgeon told my wife that it took a little longer than planned due to the amount of stomach fat I had. As a result he had to use a lot of air to expand the gastric cavity and I awoke in a lot of pain (controlled by drugs however thank God) and really, really bloated. Long story short I needed to stay a few extra days in the hospital and the good news is I am now home. No other side effects yet (nausea or vomiting) except for the bloating. Meals however are staying down. The big bonus so far is that my blood sugar readings have dropped to low 90's WITHOUT THE METFORMIN! I did find out that the "G" tube is for help in making sure I get all my protein, vitamins etc I need incase I can not drink all the fluids required and if no further need of it will be removed in 3 weeks. Also the pain in my left shoulder disappeared the second the drain was removed on Wednesday! I will update on my progress periodically. Thanks for all the well wishes!

So glad all went well and your blood sugar is now normal. :) Thats awesome!

Cheyenne

I am so to get my walking in glad you're feeling better. I myself got out of surgery on the 28th and they let me go home on Wednesday I was also feeling bloated but I'm feeling better now trying to get all my water in but this is just no way at this point I drink every 15 minutes. Trying to get my walking in but taking it one day at a time it hurts to walk. Your blood surgery are great! Mine came down a lot but still a bit high. Good luck on your progress can't wait for my first weigh in :)

Hi Smiles.. Glad you are doing well after surgery. Don't over do the walking at first. Your body needs time to heal. Bloating is common because they fill you up with IV's during and after surgery. I gained 20 lb of fluid while in the hospital after my bypass but lost it soon after plus lost 30 lb the first month.

Good luck!

Cheyenne

Smiles50,
Glad to hear you have successfully cleared the surgery hurdle and are now on your way to a long and healthy life!

Almost 2 weeks since surgery, so far so good. Only blip was the unexpected 2 extra days in the hospital. Blood sugar is down to 94-97 every morning, I have successfully consumed 60g of protein each day. I have not had ANY nausea or vomiting issues and except for some pain around the "G" tube incision I have not had to use any pain medication. I finally found that after grinding all these vitamins down to a powder that by placing them in my morning and evening shake I couldn't taste them pudding and applesauce could not hide the foul taste)! My weight this morning was 205 so sometime next week I will break the 200lb mark for the first time in 10 years (from a high of 223.5 the morning I was released from the hospital . Yesterday I had my first post surgery check up and all is well. Life is good. Oh and BP has been in the excellent range for 4 days straight now as well.

Back