• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Insurance worries

Ntlmill77

Hello all! I’m probably just anxious and paranoid, but am concerned about my insurance covering my surgery. Before I started my program, I was looking into my insurance and what is and isn’t covered. It specifically stated that bariatric surgery is not covered. So I went in for my consult fully expecting for them to say I’d have to self pay. Low and behold the billing department contacted my insurance and said they require 3 months of visits and provided the amount I’d have to pay (which was amazingly low). So I was delightfully surprised. Fast forward to now, I’ve completed all requirements and everything has been sent to insurance (as of Monday 3/15). Now I’m terrified they are going to come back and say no, we won’t cover it. Has this happened to anyone?? TIA!

Nope, you're cool. Bariatric surgery is almost as common ad a root canal. Stats show having the surgery can slow or stop heart disease and diabetes, which costs a lot more in the long run.

There may be incidentals you're not prepared for that aren't covered. Thats why this group and its thousands of posts is so great. Read the Resources on the main page. Use the search feature and read our stories. You can be prepared and excited to get on the road with us.

I agree with Diane. Once your insurance has stated it's covered, once a list of requirements are completed, you're just waiting for them to review that you've met those requirements. You should not have any issues, although the process can take some time.

I was a nervous wreck while waiting for my insurance to approve surgery even thought it was supposed to be approved with no issues. It took awhile, but it was approved. You can call your insurance company to verify they’re processing it. I did, mainly because then I had a better idea of how much longer it could take to hear back.

I haven’t gotten that far yet but I understand the worry. It’s so cool that the insurances will cover it these days but still there’s always that thought in the back of my head that they will arbitrarily deny me, just to be mean or something. Hope they come back and approve it for you quickly!

Back