• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Interesting article

I believe it all comes down to food choices for people. There are thin people who eat processed crappy foods who are metabolically very unhealthy, have T2D, and all sorts of health issues, and there are heavier people who eat healthy foods and are metabolically healthy with no issues. The tipping point between a person's weight and its effect on health is going to vary from person to person, their genetics, and what they are eating.

The variance from person to person is another reason the BMI is complete crap. It puts everyone in a box, and that just isn't the way it is.

I am technically still overweight by BMI standards, but my bodyfat is normal, my bloodwork is normal, my blood sugar is normal, etc. There is no reason for me to try to lose any more weight. I might lose more, I don't know, but I'm not trying. I'm just concentrating on eating the best possible foods for me and maintaining what I've achieved.

I’m still in the overweight block for BMI, but I’m fine with all my blood work etc. The only thing I have to keep up on is my bloodwork for my thyroid every 3 months for a while. I can tell that it’s off right now. I’ve been having a lot more joint pain and anxiety. It’s funny how I’ve had this for so long that I can tell when things aren’t right.

I saw this article and thought it was really interesting. What a wonderful world it would be if we could just learn to accept that different people have different bodies. There are lots of things that losing weight fixes. But there ARE people out there who are just overweight or obese with no weight related health issues.

Why Everything You've Been Told About Weight May Be Wrong (msn.com)

I didn't read the article. However, I have always been overweight but my over all health has been amazing. Which is why I think the docs never really wanted to help with it much.

I just read this article and it hit home hard! In 2016, I was having a total hysterectomy. I was in the preop room, and the nurse was having trouble finding a vein for my IV.

The anesthesiologist (a young woman) was there lecturing on my weight, and telling me that if the couldn't get a vein soon they'd have to go through my neck, or something like that.

They finally got the IV started, but she did not stop. Literally, they were wheeling me to the OR and she was yelling at me the whole time.

I was frightened and nervous about going into surgery and this mad woman was yelling at me for being fat. I was glad when she finally put me under.

I complained to my doctor about her later.

Back