• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Introduction and very nervous

MG_1023

Hello Everyone
My name is Mari and I am super nervous about my surgery. I am due to have the gastric sleeve on Monday July 8th. I had the lap band back on ‘07 and had it taken out last year. I have backed out twice on the sleeve even though I am at the heaviest I have ever been. I’ve had some complications with surgeries in the past, I ended up with a blood clot in my lung. I know my doctor is good but I am scared, I don’t recover well. The thought of loosing a large portion of my stomach scares me. Thank you in advance for reading my rant.

I also had blood clot worries because my dad died from one. I talked to my Dr about it the first time I met him and he calmed my fears. They gave me a shot of heparin before the surgery and used the leg compression socks during the surgery. After surgery I got up walking asap. The first time I was still so groggy the nurse had to keep telling me to open my eyes because I was falling asleep.
Best of luck!

Hello Everyone
My name is Mari and I am super nervous about my surgery. I am due to have the gastric sleeve on Monday July 8th. I had the lap band back on ‘07 and had it taken out last year. I have backed out twice on the sleeve even though I am at the heaviest I have ever been. I’ve had some complications with surgeries in the past, I ended up with a blood clot in my lung. I know my doctor is good but I am scared, I don’t recover well. The thought of loosing a large portion of my stomach scares me. Thank you in advance for reading my rant.
Hi,
Good luck with your surgery. You will be fine, I’m in the very very beginning of the weight loss process. I like you are scared of complications. I don’t have any doubt in the doctors ability. I’m scared of the whole process on general. I wish you the best of luck, I hope that before tomorrow some of your fears would’ve eased.
Good luck,
Ofiesty2

@Mari,
I don’t expect you to post or respond to this for awhile. But I hope your surgery went well today.
Thanks,
Ofiesty2
Hello!
I am so sorry for the very late reply. Thank you so much for the well wishes. I won’t lie, I cried and contemplate canceling up until I was in the operating room. I feel like the real work starts now. I was told by the Dr.s office that the hormone that causes hunger would also go with a large part of my stomach but I don’t feel that, just yet. I am in pain but I am hungry as well, that can’t be good.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, and I completely understand why it is a late, its no worries. What hormone did you have to take if you don't mind me asking, and why? I'm sorry I'm still new to this process, so I have a lot of questions. I think that everyone has a different experience with weight loss surgery, and I am sure that you are not the only one that has experienced hunger after surgery. I wouldn't think that you being hungry is a bad thing, I think that in situations such as us being hungry maybe it is a new way for us to figure out which food to eat would be best, such as one that would satisfy the craving(s) that we are having, but also a healthy choice at the same time. Be kind to yourself, and realize that weight loss surgery/issues is still and may always be a process. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, after having surgery, and I am glad that overall you are doing great!! I am glad that you didn't cancel the surgery. I cancelled the process and surgery one time, and I am determined not to make that choice again. Congratulations!! And I'm sorry that you are experiencing pain, I hope that it goes away fast.
Hang in there,
Ofiesty2

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, and I completely understand why it is a late, its no worries. What hormone did you have to take if you don't mind me asking, and why? I'm sorry I'm still new to this process, so I have a lot of questions. I think that everyone has a different experience with weight loss surgery, and I am sure that you are not the only one that has experienced hunger after surgery. I wouldn't think that you being hungry is a bad thing, I think that in situations such as us being hungry maybe it is a new way for us to figure out which food to eat would be best, such as one that would satisfy the craving(s) that we are having, but also a healthy choice at the same time. Be kind to yourself, and realize that weight loss surgery/issues is still and may always be a process. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, after having surgery, and I am glad that overall you are doing great!! I am glad that you didn't cancel the surgery. I cancelled the process and surgery one time, and I am determined not to make that choice again. Congratulations!! And I'm sorry that you are experiencing pain, I hope that it goes away fast.
Hang in there,
Ofiesty2

Please do ask! It’s important that we support each other with our journeys. The Dr.s’ office nutritionist was the one that had informed me of the hormone. I am sorry I did not ask for the name of the hormone, but I will at my Dr.’s follow up appointment and post . I am happy for your upcoming surgery and good luck!

Hello Everyone

Brenda, just glancing at your email without my brain engaged, I thought the words in quotes were some kind of title of a German opera!

And I just wanted to say, for days & days now, congratulations on your amazing weight loss! 91 pounds? Geez, girl! You're gonna make it!

diane <--..... -115 lbs. in 14 months...

Brenda, just glancing at your email without my brain engaged, I thought the words in quotes were some kind of title of a German opera!

And I just wanted to say, for days & days now, congratulations on your amazing weight loss! 91 pounds? Geez, girl! You're gonna make it!

diane <--..... -115 lbs. in 14 months...

Hahahaha, you're a riot! And thanks for your congratulations!!! It really means a lot. Today was my weekly weigh in and I have another 2.2 to add. I'm thrilled. :)

Hahahaha, you're a riot! And thanks for your congratulations!!! It really means a lot. Today was my weekly weigh in and I have another 2.2 to add. I'm thrilled. :)
You’ll have to remind me, Brenda, what type of surgery did
WOW, Brenda! so you’ll have to remind me, what type of surg did you have? I swear I’m forgetting who has had surgery, who are having revisions, who are scheduled for surg, who don’t know yet... it’s like I’m losing memory cells, not fat cells!

WOW, Brenda! so you’ll have to remind me, what type of surg did you have? I swear I’m forgetting who has had surgery, who are having revisions, who are scheduled for surg, who don’t know yet... it’s like I’m losing memory cells, not fat cells!

I know Ann, it's hard to keep track of everyone! :)

Thanks a lot!!! I had Roux-En-Y on March 11th. I had lost just over 26 on my pre-surgical diet and have lost another 67 since surgery. I'm really happy with the results so far.

Back