• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Irish Dance, Instruments and Music

shoutjoy

Hi all,

Anyone out there share my interest in Irish dance music and instruments? I love all three. I find dancing fun an aerobic and the music lively and happy. I struggle to play the Tin Whistle.

Me! I do, Shoutjoy! I don't dance but I'm fascinated by it. My heritage is Scottish and my ex and my SO both have Irish ancestry. My (2 years old) daughter will begin Irish Step dance classes when she turns 5, the earliest they will accept her. Meanwhile, in preparation for Irish dance, I am going to put her in Ballet. I also have some of the music that I play whenever we are driving around in the car so she can learn and get used to the rhythm. =)
As for the Penny Whistle, I can't play it but my ex-husband just brought my son one home for Ireland...and my son can't play it (yet) either, lol. We both sound like we are strangling cats. =)
Brandy

Irish Whistle

Hi,

Sounds like a great adventure ahead of you. Here is an awesome resource for learning the Irish whistle.

http://oaim.ie/whistle-basics

This is a great group of Irish musicians that offer many helpful suggestions. Some lessons you have to pay for but some you don't. I hope this helps. Wow, well where are you going to enroll her? There are a few really nice schools up there.

Paula

I, too, have a love of Irish music and dance. I'm kind of a Heinz 57 breed, with a healthy dose of Scots-Irish buried in there somewhere. It's hard to miss with this fair skin, blue eyes and red hair.

Brandy, sounds like you have your work cut out for you. I imagine the description strangling cats would be a kindness if applied to my efforts at tin whistle.

Paula, thank you for posting the link. It looks like a good place to love and learn the tin whistle and other Irish music instruments.

Hi,

Sounds like a great adventure ahead of you. Here is an awesome resource for learning the Irish whistle.

http://oaim.ie/whistle-basics

This is a great group of Irish musicians that offer many helpful suggestions. Some lessons you have to pay for but some you don't. I hope this helps. Wow, well where are you going to enroll her? There are a few really nice schools up there.

Paula

Paula, thank you so much for that link! I'll show my son as soon as he gets home from school. =)
Unless something changes or we move in the next three years, I plan to enroll my daughter in the Boyle School of Irish Dance =)

Back