• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Is a Sleep Study Mandatory Before Surgery?

I don’t normally snore at night and I don’t wake up other than getting up once to empty my bladder. I typically sleep very well. I’m reading about so many people needing sleep studies. Is that required?

I tend to think it may also have to do with your health questionnaire. If there is any indication that you might have undiagnosed sleep apnea they will probably order it. But since you don't seem to have any indicators of sleep apnea, you might not have to have one.

Sleep studies are necessary because you're not going to be in control of your breathing if you go under general anesthesia.

My sleep study was shocking. At one point i stopped breathing for one minute and 20 seconds. i was prescribed a sleep apnea machine as a result.

We don't always understand why it's important to understand how we breathe. but after one night on my machine i was thrilled. i didnt realize I'd been sleep-deprived for years. in that compromised state i considered violence against the neighbor who was blasting his music into my bedroom until the wee hours.

I was lucky to have a mellow roomie who intervened. but sleep-deprived people are operating under a truly diminished capacity.

Losing weight contributes to an improvement in sleep and getting to sleep in the first place. Healthy sleep is always included as one of the benefits of WLS.

IF YOU want to lose more weight faster, make sure your sleep is healthy.

I was required to do one. I was able to do it at home. I don't snore or stop breathing or wake up gasping for breath - but they said I had a "thin airway" - a skinny throat. I did the sleep study over 2 days at home. The company shipped me the equipment to use. Once I did the study - I shipped it back and a week later they had my results.

It truly depends on your surgical team and insurance. Some insurances will require you to go to a sleep lab to have the test. Best of luck !

Back