• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Is it ever enough....

I am new to the site and am 17 months post op. My question, or better put, need of advice is that since surgery I have lost almost (within five to seven pounds depending on the day) all I wanted to lose. However, I recently started adding foods like coffee and pastas and struggle with myself on if I should or shouldnt. My Dr says that we are still in the learning stage and it is ok to gain atleast 10% of what you lose back. I say NO WAY!! I have been thru too much to get where I am today to gain it back. However, I find both family and friends and co-workers who "criticize" my progress and say "havent you lost enough"? when they know what my goal is. Then I find myself questioning everything I eat, if I eat, then not eating because I feel guilty. Wow!! Crazy but true and I am so scared to gain back that 10%. I have been thru sooo much and dont want to gain even a pound back. Is this normal??? Or do I really need psychological help for body dysmorphia lol.

Did the doctor say it's OK or did he / she say it's typical? I have read on many bariatric websites that on average bariatric surgery patients lose 70% of their excess weight but I never heard of a doctor saying it's OK to gain back 10%. If you feel like eating pasta just watch your portion sizes and monitor your weight. If you see a weight gain then you know what you need to do, right? You have worked too hard to deprive yourself of the foods you love. You just need to use them in moderation which is what bariactric surgery teaches us. There is absolutely no reason that you should accept gaining back 10% regardless of what your doctor or anyone else is telling you. You have complete and total control over what you eat and drink.

Last edited:
Do not worry about what others think, they have not been in your shoes. That you are questioning everything you eat means you have your head in the right place. We are survivors of our old selves, and we need tweeking at times. Don't be afraid to talk to a nutritionist or psychologist for some advice and fine tuning. My psychologist for my program has told me I can contact her again at any point for a refresher. Dont be afraid to use your resources!

hi my focus is first medical probllems bp, chol.,both knees, hip, fibomylgia and and cbronic fatigue ect. the concern is stroke above all lose the abity te be independent!!! i find by getting more information i feel calmer. because i had a lap band with no medical or any informed support i think i might be prepared better. I KNOW ONE THING FOR SURE YOU MUST FOLLOW THE INSTRU TIONS AND GET AHOLD OF OF YOUR MEDICA L TEAM ANYTIME YOU HAVE PROBLEMS. my surgerry is a gastric bypass next month. even now i talk to some furture patients who"i am not going follow this ect." i feel sad...tbis is not a game. anyhow my focus is my strenthg to stop the "yo-yo" i have committed all my mid 20's life of being heavy. hi to everyone...

Back