• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Is it the midwinter blues or something else?

Taxman

I have been fortunate to have had a great first year post surgery. Lost 149 lbs, BP down to normal, total cholesterol is way down, the good to bad cholesterol ration is great, blood work shows that I am getting the right mix of nutrients, off the CPAP. So what's the problem?

In the last month, I have gained back 10 lbs, sleeping less at night, always hungry, fighting to keep up my walking, I'm getting cranky with my wife and son (he's been a great support as I have been on this journey). This Covid-19 crap is driving me crazy. I have a small "bubble" of friends who I see regularly, but I want to visit my 93 yo mother in Cleveland who is lonely. There is shopping that I would like to do in person (though online is not too bad). I want to take my wife out to dinner. Mentally, I feel the worse I have in a long time.

Is this a normal response by the body a year or so out? Is it just midwinter blues? Is it just the Covid-19 slapping me upside the head?

It sounds like a combination for SAD and covid. I get SAD yearly, always annoyed that I can’t get out to be as active as I want to be because of the weather. I’m out hiking, doing yard work, or just outside all the time when the weather is over 40 degrees. And now I’m more sensitive to the cold, so it’s been more annoying and I’m reluctant to be outside at all. But covid restrictions, as smart and safe as they are, can be hard to deal with. There’s a lot that’s happened in the past year that can shadow success. It’s not easy to deal with and keep hope that this shall pass, but it will.

Hi. It sounds like it's probably more the strain of living in the middle of a pandemic than anything else. All the time at home has led to the entire nation eating more. Boredom makes you believe you are hungry. Stress makes you cranky. Oftentimes, we're left feeling guilty for not seeing those we love most of all, because they're high risk, while worrying if we're missing our last opportunity to see them at all. This whole pandemic has left us all an emotion mess at times. Keep in mind, it's not forever .. the pandemic OR the way you feel. I had a few bad weeks back in the spring. I expect I'll have a few more this winter. It's especially hard when you can't even go outside. All you can do is get through it the best you can. Try to take care of yourself, because keeping those healthy habits; eating right, walking, sleeping, help keep the mental balance too. Hang in there.

I think Covid is a big part of it. Yes, many people get depressed during the winter but Covid is taking it's toll. Sounds like you are upset about not seeing your mom and I totally get that. I haven't been socializing at all and it was hard during the holidays. There are times that it makes me really sad. My granddaughter misses us and her 13th birthday is coming up on the 7th. She wants to see us just for a little bit so I will figure out a safe way to do that. It was much easier in the summer when we could be outside and sit on the deck. And the stress that comes from Covid is very taxing. Therapist are overwhelmed with patients. So you certainly are not alone! Take care of yourself and try to do some things that would help you relax or at least occupy yourself with fun things to do.

I truly believe it's the quarantine AND the Holidays. I also feel that Do something you enjoy doing. Get a new hobby. Select a hobby you, your wife and son can enjoy with you. If you feel hungry drink water, or whatever beverage to ease the hunger pains.

You're down 149 pounds - that is so freaking AWESOME! I know the 10#'s may bother you. Remember all the WONDERFUL that you've accomplished! You absolutely have GOT this!!

It is tough right now, now doubt. I'm sure all of those things are pushing your body to react as it has. You might consider getting some full spectrum daylight emitters to mount near where you sit, especially when it's dark outside. If you aren't taking vitamin D, you might evaluate if you are taking enough. If you aren't working in much exercise, then adding some of that in can also help you feel better. Of course, when we feel down, it's even harder to get started doing anything that is good for ourselves. I certainly understand that.

Keep reaching out for conversation in this group, as I think it helps quite a bit just to have these conversations with others. The days are getting longer now, so hopefully that will help a bit. I can certainly relate to wanting to see your mother. My parents are both in their mid 80s and I haven't seen them for so long. Over a year now because we were gone for a month on vacation right before COVID, so it's been way too long. I know they are both planning on getting the vaccines, as do I, so I'm planning on visiting them a few weeks after all three of us have gotten our second doses. I'm not sure when that will be though.

I hope things turn around for you soon. Keep in touch.

I have been walking more since the new year. That seems to help. A combination of the fresh air, exercise and getting away from the food! I have been doing bedtime meditations to help with the sleep, and that seems to be working as well.
The biggest help seems to be the support that this group (and a very few close friends) has given me. Thank you to all of you for the comments and the likes. It means alot to me.

I have been walking more since the new year. That seems to help. A combination of the fresh air, exercise and getting away from the food! I have been doing bedtime meditations to help with the sleep, and that seems to be working as well.
The biggest help seems to be the support that this group (and a very few close friends) has given me. Thank you to all of you for the comments and the likes. It means alot to me.
You've been an awesome member. Thanks for being here and for all your help.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Back