• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

It's OFFICIAL.... I am going Bald or Post SUrgical Hair Loss.

Alright I am usually a calm, fairly sane and pretty well put together, LMAO yeah right, woman....

I was washing my hair last night and DAY UM my hair was coming out by the hands full :eek:. I hit that magical 4 month post op hair loss phase, :eek:

I mean to tell you I was freaking out at how much hair ACTUALLY was sitting in the drain. Yes I know we all normally shed hair, but this was the "OH MY GOD, I am going to have no hair what so ever amount." I jumped out of the shower, grabbed a mirror, turned around and was checking the back and crown of my head for bare patches, :confused:

I have always had a head full of tight naturally curly hair so this was a bit of a shock for me to say the least... Oh well another place to add sunscreen, :).

Nothing significant, nothing to worry about, just some thinning that can be dealt with... I went on and checked out some pretty scarves, sugar skull bandanas and other head wrap gear... My husband was like, with a huge smile on his face, "Oh Dear God the Drama Queen is coming out... " He reassured me that head full, thinning or bald he would always love be and be there for me...

Yes I know post surgical hair loss is very normal and very common; however, it is still a tad bit of a shock, LOL.

Yes I am on Biotin and handling my hair gently.. LOL

I can say that the hair loss is mighty fine considering the health benefits to weight loss and improving my overall health....

I admire your positive attitude!
I'm losing a lot of hair at this time too, so I know how you feel. Pretty sure if this keeps up, I'm going to have to buy a wig. Or maybe I should look into those bandanas.
Still, I agree that the weight loss is worth the hair loss.

I'm losing a lot of hair at this time too, so I know how you feel. Pretty sure if this keeps up, I'm going to have to buy a wig. Or maybe I should look into those bandanas.

A cool thing about wigs.... You can not only change your style and length you can have whatever color you want... NOT TO MENTION add the weight loss and change of hair and you can really confuse people...:confused: :cool: :)

LauraLeigh, I lost a ton of hair between 5 - 7 months post op. Now that I'm 9 months out from surgery everything is back to normal. Now, I can brush my hair and there are a few hairs but nothing much! So it will get better soon. :)

Cheyenne

Lol! You about made me choke on my water with that one, Stinkerbelle.
Cheyenne, I'm relieved to hear there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I knew to expect hair loss after surgery, but watching it come out in clumps in the shower is not a fun experience. Still, I'll endure, just maybe with a temporary hairpiece. ;)

I now know why those "Bump It" hair thingies are so popular... You put it on your crown and gather your hair around it for that magical Bouffant teased hide the thinning hair look...
;)

You have an excellent sense of humor. I lost a lot of mine and they said I should cut it. It is tail length. I didn't cut it but later I had to go on heavy corticosteroid and that caused a lot more but praise the Lord it is coming back in and if I put it up top in a braid and let it dry like that a day or so when I take it down it is very very full looking. I also have a big selection of wigs and colored contacts, so I can be everything and everyone my head desires. Keep up the great attitude. :cool:

You have an excellent sense of humor. I lost a lot of mine and they said I should cut it. It is tail length. I didn't cut it but later I had to go on heavy corticosteroid and that caused a lot more but praise the Lord it is coming back in and if I put it up top in a braid and let it dry like that a day or so when I take it down it is very very full looking. I also have a big selection of wigs and colored contacts, so I can be everything and everyone my head desires. Keep up the great attitude. :cool:

2 Day before surgery I had just over 12 inches cut off mine. My hair in the past did not do well after anesthesia so I figured I'd get a step up on it before the hair loss, brittleness and crispiness set in from the anesthesia..

I can say my hair is in better shape now structurally than it has been for years albeit thinning...

I think the other night may have been the massive shed off for the time being, hopefully, LOL... I would love to get a Betty Page wig in Flaming Candy Apple red just for the shock value and fun of it all... Then I'd have to buy a new corset and maybe, just maybe:cool: a matching whip... :)

I have one in black but red would be awesome. Even though I was a model years ago I've always been a tomboy but for some reason I have fallen in love with corsets........ and whips. Hahahaha lmbo

The hair loss thing is a shock. Thank goodness that portion of my surgery is gone. Here is a little heads up of what is to come. The hair loss will stop and you will start to grow new hair. Mine was in the front so my very long hair had little short hairs popping out all over my head. Yep I looked a little on the goofy side. The only solution was to cut my hair and put in layers. It is wonderful and I even had it colored dark brown with cherry highlights. Make over time because when the shedding stops you will have lost megga weight. I had hit my 100 lbs lost and was in onderland. Needless to say I did hair, make-up and new cloths; oh and picture you will want pictures.

Try to stay positive and prepair for the short little hairs sticking out every where on your head. It was a great look :p

Does this typically happen to everyone? I have thin hair as it is. Oh well I have a great shaped head so if it comes out then so be it. The health benefits of the surgery will be all worth it.

The hair loss thing is a shock. Thank goodness that portion of my surgery is gone. Here is a little heads up of what is to come. The hair loss will stop and you will start to grow new hair. Mine was in the front so my very long hair had little short hairs popping out all over my head. Yep I looked a little on the goofy side. The only solution was to cut my hair and put in layers. It is wonderful and I even had it colored dark brown with cherry highlights. Make over time because when the shedding stops you will have lost megga weight. I had hit my 100 lbs lost and was in onderland. Needless to say I did hair, make-up and new cloths; oh and picture you will want pictures.

Try to stay positive and prepair for the short little hairs sticking out every where on your head. It was a great look :p

LOL, I am at the Brillo Pad curly hair sticking out all over...

Just today, I noticed what appears to be a new crop of hair sticking up maybe two inches long. I still feel like I'm losing a lot of hair, but I may not be going bald after all - hooray!

I am happy with the halo of short curly hair that is cropping up... Maybe that halo of curls will help keep my lil (ok BIG horns, LOL) horns down a bit, ;)

Alright I am usually a calm, fairly sane and pretty well put together, LMAO yeah right, woman....

I was washing my hair last night and DAY UM my hair was coming out by the hands full :eek:. I hit that magical 4 month post op hair loss phase, :eek:

I mean to tell you I was freaking out at how much hair ACTUALLY was sitting in the drain. Yes I know we all normally shed hair, but this was the "OH MY GOD, I am going to have no hair what so ever amount." I jumped out of the shower, grabbed a mirror, turned around and was checking the back and crown of my head for bare patches, :confused:

I have always had a head full of tight naturally curly hair so this was a bit of a shock for me to say the least... Oh well another place to add sunscreen, :).

Nothing significant, nothing to worry about, just some thinning that can be dealt with... I went on and checked out some pretty scarves, sugar skull bandanas and other head wrap gear... My husband was like, with a huge smile on his face, "Oh Dear God the Drama Queen is coming out... " He reassured me that head full, thinning or bald he would always love be and be there for me...

Yes I know post surgical hair loss is very normal and very common; however, it is still a tad bit of a shock, LOL.

Yes I am on Biotin and handling my hair gently.. LOL

I can say that the hair loss is mighty fine considering the health benefits to weight loss and improving my overall health....

I love your great attitude. I went a little nutty when my hair began to fall out. I started taking a biotin supplement and using argon oil and keratin oil as a scalp massage every night. These actually worked, along with increasing my protein intake.
I also learned that taking too much Vit A can contribute to hair loss, so I cut back on that, too.
Good luck.

I would talk to your surgeon about this.. I have no idea how lap band patients fair with these issues..
I had my Lapband in 08 and never did stop losing hair until this last year! I used to have a thick head of hair and it became so thin I could see my scalp. I finally realized that wasn't getting enough digest able protien, vitamins and minerals. I started using some nutritional products that contain all of the above plus some more stuff and my hair is has really thickened back up, you can't see my scalp anymore. I will never stop using this stuff because it also helps me sleep better and have more energy.

Back