• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

abandster

I was banded in November, 2005. I got a port infection in November, 2006. I had the port removed. Giving my body 6-8 weeks to heal, we went in to a new year and no insurance no longer covered wls. I had to beg to get it covered. Port replaced on the other side of my body in March, 2007. In March, 2010, the tubing started coming thru the (long since healed) incision above my belly button. Again, surgery. The tubing was to be removed as was the port, if it had been compromised. Surgeon "cleaned" the tubing and removed the port in June, 2010. The incision took 8 months to heal and once during that time the incision had to be reopened so the infection would drain. No more surgery for me..... at least not wls. I still have a band and still have tubing but no restriction and no port. I'm done. Way too many problems and co-pays for me. Prior to my surgery, I weighed 303. I lost 92 pounds while I was banded. Today, I weigh 283. You have no idea how disappointed I am in myself. Just something else that I tried that failed.

Hey there,
I'm sorry you had such a hard time. It would be great if you could try the VGS. I understand you are done with surgeries. I can't blame you! In my eyes you didn't fail. The band didn't work out that's all. Maybe you can try something else in the future. Don't give up ok? Take care.

I'm sorry that you've had such a bad experience. It's a shame that your insurance no longer covers WLS. Can't they see the financial benefits of having healthier customers? That angers me.

I considered the band when I decided to make a change, but the real possibilities of complications are the reason I didn't. At the time I was deathly afraid of most things medical, but I still opted for the roux-n-y gastric and couldn't be happier about that decision. I can't advocate one thing over another. I'm just saying that the full bypass was what I felt was right for me. And as much as they were paying for my pre-surgery obesity-related medications and issues, I think my insurance company sees that this is the better option.

My thoughts go out to you. This certainly is not something you failed at doing. I was banded on 11/8/2011. If I would have read your post before now, I certainly would have questioned my surgeon about the chances of thiese things happening. I am happy that you still are 20 lbs less than before. Please don't be disappointed in your self. Be disappointed in the band, but not your self. You didn't have control over that happening.

Back