• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just begining my journey with so many questions?

Kapoorvilla

Hi everyone!

I have been obese the all of my life. Although I have been diagnosis with fatty liver, diabetic type II, and high blood pressure and take meds accordingly I have over all not suffered from any complications related to my diagnosis. I only see the doctor for my check ups and all labs come back normal range time and again for the past five years or so. My weight’s highest point has been 386lb and lowest since passing age 30 I can remember has been 249lbs. I am currently 286lbs. The only weight related health happening now is swelling and reddening of my lower legs otherwise I feel great and never suffer with even a cold.
My sister and I have attended our Bariatric seminar and are awaiting our first appointment with our doctor. I made the decision if I am serious enough about my weight loss to lie down on an operating table I need to get serious about my eating and exercise. I began April 3rd with a high protein low fat and Carb diet allowing 900 calories a day. I have set the goal to go to the Y no less than 3 times a week. I believe I am mentally in a zone where I can do this while going through the process to get to surgery.
So some of the questions I have are: 1.) If I lose the weight will they still do surgery? I feel I will still need it because I never maintain any I lose for the long term. 2.) Do others who have had the surgery think this will help me during recovery from surgery? 3.) If I lose weight during the 6 to 9 month process do you the readers feel I would stand a better chance not gaining it back after surgery or would it still be determined by just whether or not I stuck with healthier life style?
Thank you for reading and double thank you for sharing your opinions.
:eek: (I love smileys):rolleyes:

HI there!
I'm new here too. My surgery is 4/24 I"m so excited to get started. You may want to check with your insurance requirements. Mine wouldn't pay if I could lose the weight on my own. Also the requirements the doctors have for your BMI. Whatever you decide I wish you good luck!
Lori

Hi Lori, Welcome. My surgery is 4/23 and I am having the RNY, glad to have someone to share this journey with, good luck

HI Bernieann! It will be nice to have someone to share this with! Also we're only 4 pounds apart and I'm doing the sleeve and you the RNY, will be nice to see the results to compare if they are similar. I was undecided until my last visit on which one I wanted to do. Mainly came to the recovery time and how quick I could be back at work. I'm a hairstylist and some clients aren't to keen on any time off :) Good luck to you just 5 more days :) I've been having a hard time sleeping lately....feel like when I was a kid waiting for Santa to come :) Take care and lets keep in touch. Oh yeah, I lived in Illinoins my whole like until 3 years ago when we moved to NC for a promotion for my husband. I miss the midwest!
Lori

Lori and Berni

I will be very interested in following you two as I am debating between these two surgeries.
To address the insurance approval concern let me say my bariatric clinic told me at the seminar I attended the only number my insurance company is ever going to see is the number I am on my first visit. I am 286 now and the appointment is June 14th so no worries I lose too much by then:p!
I am still learning the navigation of this site but I will attempt to follow you both please post progress as you are able it will mean a lot.
Thank you.

I wanted the sleeve to begin with, just seemed less severe to me. But because I have acid reflux, the doctor made the decision for me. The reflux would continue after the sleeve and I have it pretty bad, so that's that. I understand about the time off, its hard. But we need to take care of ourselves too. I look forward to keeping in contact to Lori, good luck to you as well.;) I hear ya about the excitement:D

Kap, I will keep updates on here for you so maybe we can help you with any questions or concerns you have. I'll try and do an update at least every two weeks if not every week. What part of NC are you in?

Yeah my doctor told me I had a hiatal hernia and if it had been worse than it was I would not have been a candidate for the sleeve. He's going to repair that while he's doing my surgery. :)

Q & A...we all have them

Hi everyone! I have always wondered the same things too. From my first appointment in Jan, I have gained and lost, this week they said I lost 2 1/2 lbs since last month. Last time I gained they said it was ok. I wish I could help you with an answer. I know many people who have had different types of the surgery, and everyone is different in the amount they have lost and their long term keeping it off. My doctor told me not to have the lap band that I would not have long term success. They told me since my BMI was over 50, that my insurance would cover the duodenal switch, and it has a better success rate. They had looked at all my recorded weights over the past few years, and even taking diet pills it didn't change very much. I exercise, but that is limited due to a disc protrusion at the L5-S1 and it causes tremendous pain at times. Please keep me posted on how things are going for you.

@ Nana thanks for the input. I have thought about the switch too! The sleeve seems to have the benefit of not being as likely to have vitamin deficiencies because it is only restrictive and not malabsorbtion. I am still undecided as I have only been to the seminar. Does anyone know if the sleeve cure diabetes the way the switch and bypass do I have not been able to determine that from my packets from the seminar.

@ Lori I am right outside of Charlotte in Kings Mountain!

@ Berni love the profile pic. What a cute doggie.

Last edited:
Kap, as a matter of fact out local news station had something a couple weeks ago about the "new" sleeve procedure. That almost immediately after having it people with type 2 diabetes are cured. So yes the results for curing the diabetes are the same with this one as well :)

HI lORI-BANAL

WELCOME TO THIS CHAT ROOM, YOU'LL FIND PEOPLE WHO UNDERSTAND YOU AND WHAT YOU'RE FACING AND ANSWERS TO SO MANY QUESTIONS.
YOU'RE LUCKY YOUR SURGERY DATE IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER, STILL WAITING FOR MY DATE.
KEEP US POSTED HOW YOU ARE DOING WITH YOUR NEW JOURNEY YOU ARE EMBARKING ON, YOU'RE GONNA BE A NEW HEALTHIER AND HAPPIER YOU!
HAPPY FOR YOU,

DONNA

Hi Donna....I know I am lucky to get this started. Seems like it's been forever and now the day is practically here. I had gone to a seminar almost 2 years ago, when I found out all of the things my insurance required me to do I got discouraged and did nothing. A few months later I though if I don't do anything now next year at this time I'm still going to be fat. So August of last year I had my first visit to start my weight management stuff. There was alot to go thru but I know it's going to be worth it, not only for me but for my family too. I want my husband to be proud to be seen with me. He's never once ever said anything concerning my weight. It's just me that feels like he deserves better too :) So that's just a perk along with the healthier me :)

Lori

The reason many of us regain the weight is that we go back to our old ways of eating. No diet or surgery will be successful for us unless we can create that new life of healthier eating. I would like to add that 900 calories a day is NOT healthy for you or anyone for that matter. You are starving yourself and setting yourself up for failure. Start out with small changes, exercising 10 min a day 3 times, is just as productive as a 30 min workout. Why go to the Y? walking is just as good for you.

I had to see a therapist over a period of time per my insurance company and I am so glad I did. She introduced me to a book called LEARN (Lifestyle, Exercise, Attitudes, Relationships, Nutrition). I recommend that you research and explore anything and everything to keep a good head on your shoulders hun. Let me know how you are doing.

Thanks Ladyb for the reply. I was wondering if you had research the number of calories a person eats after surgery? I am under the impression it takes some quite a while to reach 900 daily.

I enjoy the y for variety something that is important to every exercise program. I swim laps with light weight training or use treadmill/bikes with light weight training. If it works better for you to do 10 mins at a time at home that is good for you but I like getting in an hour at the y and feel accomplished!

Unfortunately my body will not starve even at 900 calories and exercise Lol. I must have the worlds slowest metabolism I started this April 8th and already hit a stall. However I know I will be dealing with much lower calories right before and for a while after surgery so might as well stick with the protien shake and veggies (I don't eat meat) and get use to eating small amounts.

Good luck!

Kapoorvilla-My surgeon told me that I should be consuming about 800 calories a day once I started on pureed foods and that after a while I should be at 1000 to 1200 at the most. He also said not to force myself to eat if it is causing discomfort. Since I am never hungry I have a time schedule that I follow. If I find it difficult to eat then I focus on getting my protein in and also my fluids. Since all of us are taking vitamins it's no big deal to not eat much in the beginning (short term). This doesn't mean to stop eating on purpose it just means to pay attention to what your pouch can handle without nausea, vomiting and / or dumping. The key is to eat 5 or 6 SMALL meals daily for the first 6 to 8 months in order to get enough protein and then eat fewer times a day once you are able to increase your calories for each meal. You have to eat a certain amount of calories and protein in order to lose weight otherwise your metabolism will slow down too much to prevent loss of muscle and organ mass.

Kapoorvilla-My surgeon told me that I should be consuming about 800 calories a day once I started on pureed foods and that after a while I should be at 1000 to 1200 at the most. He also said not to force myself to eat if it is causing discomfort. Since I am never hungry I have a time schedule that I follow. If I find it difficult to eat then I focus on getting my protein in and also my fluids. Since all of us are taking vitamins it's no big deal to not eat much in the beginning (short term). This doesn't mean to stop eating on purpose it just means to pay attention to what your pouch can handle without nausea, vomiting and / or dumping. The key is to eat 5 or 6 SMALL meals daily for the first 6 to 8 months in order to get enough protein and then eat fewer times a day once you are able to increase your calories for each meal. You have to eat a certain amount of calories and protein in order to lose weight otherwise your metabolism will slow down too much to prevent loss of muscle and organ mass.

Thanks for the info that was helpful to know what I will be looking at after. My sister inlaw who is a doctor said while I am waiting for surgery I should up my calories for a week or two to 1200 if my loss slows and then I can drop back to 900 and be able to start the loss back up. I am really focusing on nutrients taking vitamins and eating only nutrient packed food. Also on get my body in the best shape physically I can before surgery. The surgery is a great motivation to do right and my sister inlaw say it will make surgery go much better.

During the purée food is baby food a good option?

Kapootvilla-Baby food is an option but is very bland. It is also expensive compared to what you can make easily yourself. If you don't already have a blender or small food processor you should consider getting one. I use a 4 cup food processor that I bought at WalMart. I also have a personal size blender that I bought from a TV infomercial that works for making protein drinks. A regular blender will work too but I found that my small processor worked the best. I mostly pureed canned chicken and tuna. You mentioned you don't eat meat so a good option for you would be beans and tofu. Grains aren't recommended until much later with the exception of hot cereals. I used fat free refried beans from a can. These are ready to eat without having to puree them but you should give them a quick mash with a fork in case there are a few whole beans in there. You can have cottage cheese but you need to either mash it with a fork or run it through the processor while on the puree stage. You can make your own protein shakes with silken tofu and / or protein powder and add a small amount of fresh or frozen fruit once you are able to tolerate it. Bean and cream soups are a good choice. You can make meatless stews with legumes and run them through the processor or blender. I found that I tolerated thinner food better than thick food. For instance, bean soup was comfortable on my pouch whereas soft cooked fish mashed thoroughly with a fork caused discomfort. If something you like is causing your pouch to hurt try thinning it out with some water or veggie broth. The consistency of applesauce is a good comparison of what your pureed foods should look like. Just remember to focus on high protein food choices.

Pat is right about the calories! As for the Y, if I worked out for an hour at this point I would probably need an ambulance....I love jello, so after surgery I am going to make some with some unflavored protein powder to see if I like it.

Back