• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just Getting Started

BigJohn

Hello,

I have just had my first consult with the surgon and am starting the insurance obstacle course. A bit nervous about the whole thing but motivated to make it work. Any advice, Info or comments apprecieated.

Hi Big John

welcome to the best group of people you'll ever meet, I too just joined them about a month ago, they will answer your ? and give advice and good receipes.
I go May4, to see surgeon for first time, already had all my test etc. I even called there office to make sure there wasn't anything that I may have forgotten, They tell me I've met all insurance requirements just waiting my turn to see surgeon and then the BIG DAY, can't wait.
Some days' I do well and eat proper and remind myself you know in the future you won't be able to eat this or that and I've been paying attention to my food habits. I've realized I've been using food for a crutch, for when I am happy bored, etc. I know I can do alot better for I have done it before and lost alot of weight before., But this time I know once the surgery is done I must live my the strict new lifestyle in order to not reagain the weight again.
I am anxious , nervous and constantly wondering what my new life is going to be like, and ready to embrace the idea of going into the stores and not having to go to "plus or BIg section for clothes. Being a 5.10 lady has made it an issuse all my life to find thing's long enough then becomming a "plus size lady" added to those issues.
But with God's help I am gonna be successful.
I hope you find comfort in this group, I sure have they've all been great, so patience with me and all my questions. This group accepts each other for whom we are, people on a journey to a happy and healthier us. so welcome aboard and don't be afraid to ask questions and make comments.
Talk with you again soon!
Donna

BigJohn-Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your decision to start this incredible journey. Insurance approval can be an obstacle but it will be worth it in the end. make sure to come back to the forum to keep us posted and to ask any questions you may have.

hi john. i am in the process of waiting insurance approval for my surgery. i have met with the surgeon (who was fabulous) and had one dietician class- i have a rivate 1:1 session next month with her. my insurance requires participation in a 6month program prior to approving wt loss surgery. i am having the roux en y bypass. how about you? my closst friend had byass surgery yesteday so she is kind of being a bypass pioneer- i will walk in her footsteps because the earliest i could have the surgery is august. :cool:

donna I love to read your comments because you are so potive and have the right mindset to be successful. I am stillstuck at 200 lbs and on the road to meet my goal of 160 patti

marge. the waiting is the hardest and then when your day finally comes it becomes your new lease on life. come back to the forum often glad you are here. hope your friend doe well.patti

Feastorfamine,
Thank you for your postive words of encouragement too, By finding this sight I feel like I've met the most "amazing people" in the world./ Each of you have taken times out of your own busy lives to share your thoughts, struggles and your new life.
I know you will reach your goal, you've came a long way already and 200 will happen, I used to want to weigh 199 just so I could say I was under 200 then once I started talking to nutrionist etc I deceided on 166, but 200 looks good now, I'm 5'10 and weigh too much to tell but once my journey starts after the surgery I will share my beginning weight so I can show my progress.
I love your nic name too. daily I have to tell myself now, do you want to eat this or that and jeopardize yourself from getting surgery? and if I don't slow down now and eat healthy now then how do I think I could do it once the surgery happens,. it's a mind trip daily/ Then I sometimes go to my closet and find a pair of jeans that I was able to wear 3 years ago when I lost 81 pounds. and I felt so good back then and looked alot better/ I have faith that my dream will come true again and I'll be able to share a good success story like your's and others.
I hope things are going well for you, never give up for GOD has a purpose and a plan for each of us, and HE wants us to be happy and healthy.
Do you still have days where you still feel hungry? I just glanced up and saw your surgery was in 2003 so you've kept you weight off a long time.
I will get back with you later,
Have a good day
DOnna

donna.. a after 5 years I slowly but surely gained back50 lbs and I am working on my last 40 that'shy I get so frustrated at being stuck at 200 for months. I will lose it. I haven't lost any weight but I was able to put on a pair of jeans and they weren't so tight. I am glad you are here , we have each other in a way that a natural skinny person couldn't understand. yea thats me,feastorfamine coming withbatwings,goat teats and putty apron. Oh well, no matter what its a whole lot better than the altrnative. sometimes I wonder if the guys face the same kind of body image changes as we do....patti

Hi everyone!!!! I am new here and I will be going to my consultation on 4/19. I am excited but also nervous about my insurance giving me a hard time. I have to go through the 6mth program before surgery so I am trying to be patient. But my question is once you have done everything your insurance requires how long does it take the insurance company to give you a decision?

Hi Mssshine, Welcome to the forum. I didn't have the 6 month program but a few folks in my local support group are going through that and from what they say as long as you follow the program they set up for you it goes smoothly, some who have already had the surgery liked the waiting period because it helped them to learn some of the new eating habits they needed, and a couple others are scheduled for surgery next month the end of there 6 months with basicaly no waiting upon completion of the program. :cool: Tom

Back