• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just had my 1st appointment - so encouraged!

GardenB

Just on here to rejoice and say I hope to have my surgery in late Nov/early December. He even said I’m low risk which kind of shocked me but I’ll take it. Given my cancer history I’m going with a VSB. After feeling trapped in and by my body for so long, I feel like there is hope for health at last! Love this message in their waiting room. When I had cancer I used to feel reassured and safe going to see my oncologist. She was on my side and focused on the best possible outcome. This has the same feel. :)

Attachments

• 68C35B98-5BB6-4226-A0B6-C99F39CAED95.jpeg
    68C35B98-5BB6-4226-A0B6-C99F39CAED95.jpeg
    643.7 KB · Views: 65
That is so exciting! Good things are happening and this is just the beginning. I remember crying happy tears on my drive home after my first appointment. I was scared and excited, but I knew it was the best decision.

Just curious, why is the surgery such a long wait?
I started my WLS journey in Sept 2020, 1st appt, and surgery on July 12th 2021, so 10 months total. I had to have 6 consecutive months of flow sheets from my pcp documenting weight loss & exercise efforts, which put everything else on slow track. It also gave me plenty of time to prepare physically, mentally and emotionally.

Good luck and please stay in touch GardenB. Love that door pic. Thanks for sharing.

That is so exciting! Good things are happening and this is just the beginning. I remember crying happy tears on my drive home after my first appointment. I was scared and excited, but I knew it was the best decision.

Just curious, why is the surgery such a long wait?
The wait is due to getting all the nutrition / exercise education classes in plus endoscopy and cardiac clearance then is takes 3-4 for insurance to process once it is sent it. I plan to use the time to practice smaller portions, drinking water in small sips (that’s going to be a challenge) and building my exercise habit. I’m using a kickboard at the local pool several days a week and want to be able to return to a set of habits rather than have to build them post-op. I love the pool - I feel so free and almost zero pain!

Back