• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just home from surgery

This has been in the works for almost a year and now I’m home and in pain and wondering why I did this to myself. My best friend warned me that anesthesia can be brutal with your emotions. I know why I did this. I need to be healthy and take care of myself. Right now it feels somehow disappointing. Anyone else go through ups and down immediately after surgery?

This has been in the works for almost a year and now I’m home and in pain and wondering why I did this to myself. My best friend warned me that anesthesia can be brutal with your emotions. I know why I did this. I need to be healthy and take care of myself. Right now it feels somehow disappointing. Anyone else go through ups and down immediately after surgery?

My emotions were all over the place and still are 7 weeks out. I have 3 good friends who had similar surgeries who keep coaching me (including last night when I was beating myself up for being to nauseated to go to church) to be patient with my progress and my situation as I heal and learn my new diet. It is not uncommon to feel all kinds of things when you are bed/couch bound trying not to hurt. It helped me to just focus on the doctor's instructions for my diet and meds, focus on organizing my needs, keep everything I needed close by where I would be spending my day resting. (drinks, meds, measuring cup, timer, phone, remote control, etc) Be kind to yourself, you already know your "why" because it hasn't changed since you started the process a year ago. This phase will pass. Don't skimp on your pain meds, it is important to time them, not wait until you hurt again to take them. Pain effects mood.

Those first few weeks are really rough, physically and emotionally. It gets better. You did do this to feel better. And you will! Soon. Its a big adjustment, being in pain and not actually eating. (Drinking is not eating, imho!)

Allow yourself the time to heal and lose the weight. Try reminding yourself why you did this, what your specific goals are. All the things you're looking forward to. It helps. Good luck on a speedy recovery!

Back