• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just like starting over again

LaurieLee

Hi all. I had RNY on August 5, 2021. Been doing pretty well; getting in my water and protein and down 30lb since surgery. Well last Friday I developed severe diarrhea and on Saturday ended up in the ER because I was worried about dehydration and wanted to get a few IVs in me. After an abdominal CT scan, it was determined that I had appendicitis and had to have emergency surgery. I was all set to go back to work this past Monday after being off work for 6 weeks for the bypass. My surgeon gave me 2 weeks of teleworking to try to recover from this additional surgery. I don't know if it is a combination of two general anesthetics six weeks apart or what but I am so tired and it seems like the pain from the appendectomy is worse then the bypass. My boss is super supportive and telling me to only work half days or whatever I can do. Monday was good but I was so exhausted after 8 hours. Tuesday I worked 5 hours. Now Wednesday, I am feeling so weak. It seems like I am starting all over again except I can eat and drink pretty well but that same tiredness from the beginning is setting in. Has anyone else ended up having the bypass/sleeve and then having another abdominal surgery just six weeks later? If so, how did you handle it?

Hi all. I had RNY on August 5, 2021. Been doing pretty well; getting in my water and protein and down 30lb since surgery. Well last Friday I developed severe diarrhea and on Saturday ended up in the ER because I was worried about dehydration and wanted to get a few IVs in me. After an abdominal CT scan, it was determined that I had appendicitis and had to have emergency surgery. I was all set to go back to work this past Monday after being off work for 6 weeks for the bypass. My surgeon gave me 2 weeks of teleworking to try to recover from this additional surgery. I don't know if it is a combination of two general anesthetics six weeks apart or what but I am so tired and it seems like the pain from the appendectomy is worse then the bypass. My boss is super supportive and telling me to only work half days or whatever I can do. Monday was good but I was so exhausted after 8 hours. Tuesday I worked 5 hours. Now Wednesday, I am feeling so weak. It seems like I am starting all over again except I can eat and drink pretty well but that same tiredness from the beginning is setting in. Has anyone else ended up having the bypass/sleeve and then having another abdominal surgery just six weeks later? If so, how did you handle it?

Yes, I had a total of 3 surgeries within 2 weeks.

Five days following my VSG one of my incisions looked infected. I went immediately to my surgeon and he tried to get as much of the infection out as he could while I was in the hospital.

Two days later I was taken by ambulance to the emergency room. I developed sepsis. They sent me immediately into surgery to clean out the infection. Stayed in the hospital 8 days.

The same night I was released from the hospital, I passed out and was taken by ambulance to the ER. I had internal bleeding so they did emergency surgery. This surgery was an open incision as they had to figure out where the bleeding was coming from. Stayed in the hospital 5 more days.

There is a lot I don't remember during that time but I do remember having a tough time staying awake. My best advice is to take as much time as you can off from work. Don't push it. If your boss is willing to let you work half days, please take him up on it. Your body needs to heal and you need to give it the rest it needs.

Feel better.

It's totally understandable that you're super tired right now.. You've had 2 major surgeries in a short period of time. I agree with Judy, who obviously knows. Take as much time as you need and accept any help offered. You will feel better but your focus has to be on healing right now. Good luck.

Back