• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just starting this journey

Vikkidel

I'm very very early in the process. I just made my doctors appt and I'm going next week. I am a little nervous but more excited to Finally be ready to get this done. I have a few Heart problems but my cardiologist has been pushing me to do this for 3 years now, I was just to scared to go. What finally pushed me was, my husband and I went to the beach for the week and not only could I NOT walk around the town and do some shopping at this very cute victorian mall there, I couldn't walk on the Beach! I Hate That! We scattered my moms ashes on the beach and I can't get there. I actually called the doctors office while on vacation. I was angry at myself for about 5 minutes and then not. Yeah, I made a mistake by Not doing this sooner but I fixed it and I'm getting it done now. My question though is, I know I'll have to loose some of this before the surgery and thats fine but I'm also reading theres exercise and number of steps and things. I have Heart Failure and I'm always running out of breath (some because of my weight I know) but a bigger problem is an abdominal hernia that is quite big and actually prevents me from lifting my legs when I'm trying to get up stairs or take a large step. This is also getting taken care of but this has to happen first. Is there a way to work around these obstacles that I can start now?

Welcome to the group Vikkidel! When you meet with the surgeon he will let you know everything you need to do before surgery. I would concentrate on trying to lose some weight. There are no working around the obstacles, you have to work through them. I'm glad you found this group. This is the best place for support and help! Good luck on your journey!

My question though is, I know I'll have to loose some of this before the surgery and thats fine but I'm also reading theres exercise and number of steps and things.
Here's a shopping list from our Resources section.

Buying what you need prior to surgery is life-affirming. Once stocked, you can gaze lovingly at your health cache every time a compulsion hits.

AS for any other steps, either ask if your surgeon has a list for you, or cruise the hundreds of WLS clinics online.

Also, search the posts here. No need for us to reinvent the wheel when there's already thousands of great ones within our archives.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the group. You should be very proud of yourself for not waiting even longer. Being too obese to do basic things is a hard pill to swallow. I had to skip out on the Vatican tour in Rome because I was DYING from all the walking I had been doing all week. It took me another year to get started with my program, so give yourself some real credit.
Once you meet with your WLS team, they will set individual goals for you. Obviously, you'll want to lose some of the weight because you'll want to start building better habits ASAP. However, I highly doubt that any doctor is going to suggest a person with heart issues, who cannot walk a beach, get an extensive amount of exercise. Some? Sure. But nothing that you cannot handle. They want you to succeed. Which means improvement, not perfection. Good luck to you.

Welcome to the group! I would tell your bariatric doctor your concerns when you go and perhaps have the bariatric doctor consult with your cardiologist.

FYI, I didn't do an exercise program before surgery because at that time I was too immobile. I did however make changes to my diet and was able to lose 44 lbs prior to surgery.

Back