• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just starting

Congrats on your surgery. My husband had the sleeve on 2-15. I had the bypass in June of 2020 but with him having surgery, I'm going through all of it all over again .. without the pain of recovery lol

What surgery did you have and what are your favorite things to eat right now?

What are you eating in the PURÉED stage? I am dreading this stage the most after my surgery. I just don’t think I can blend meat in a blender. I’d rather just eat soup if I can.
We were told to eat jarred baby food. But one taste was enough for me.

I did pulverize meat in my blender, adding broth and powdered gravy mix, and sometimes Magic Milk. Along with some instant mashed potatoes and sometimes, cranberry sauce, I found it very tasty.

I have a drawer full of sauce and gravy mixes I use to sprinkle on cottage cheese or mashed squash, or what have you. I don't add salt to any of my food, so the salt in these mixes doesn't add up to too much.

Magic Milk made my puree stage possible. I'd use a half-cup or so, heated in a saucepan, with two tablespoons of malt-o-meal, cream of wheat or cornmeal as a meal, or the basis for additives like mushy vegetables or mashed meat.

I just followed my taste buds and the portion sizes my nutritionist gave me. She also gave me the recipe for Magic Milk, which made all the difference. I never used water to make soup or cereal or mashed potatoes. I cooked them in MM and then mashed or pureed them.

My post-op eating instructions are posted below, including the MM recipe.

What are you eating in the PURÉED stage? I am dreading this stage the most after my surgery. I just don’t think I can blend meat in a blender. I’d rather just eat soup if I can.
I agree, I don't know about just blended meats. Maybe tuna and egg salad since they are basically blended already. I can't imagine just eating some chicken moosh. haha I was thinking more like blended thick soups, or chili. Some mashed potatoes with protein powder mixed in. Not so much just plain meat.

I got the gastric sleeve and have been so happy so far. 35 lbs since starting the liver shrinking diet. The mush diet hasn't been that bad for me. I have pureed turkey chili, some healthy chicken enchilada soup, and tuna... I did not like chicken salad pureed as I couldn't take the texture. My favorite so far has been noodleless lasagna ( ricotta cheese, sugar free marinara sauce, and mozzarella) and scrambled eggs with veggies. I've had to had protein powder to must to ensure I'm getting my protein but it is working. I joke with friends that I pasted the baby stage, I'm on the infant stage, and I can't wait till the toddler stage!

Maybe tuna and egg salad since they are basically blended already. I can't imagine just eating some chicken moosh. haha I was thinking more like blended thick soups, or chili.
Those foods are actually part of the SOFT stage. The puréed stage is watered down food with no chunks or pieces. My dietician described it as anything that can be poured through a strainer. Blah!

My program specifically said to NOT eat baby food. So many of them have added sugar, which is sad since hello, it's for babies!! Mashed potatoes and refried beans are a perfect example of puree texture. Things that can pour through a strainer are full liquid. Scrambled eggs were/are allowed during my programs puree stage. I also could not stand pureed meat so I mostly stuck to mashed veggies and refried beans.

Congrats on surgery. One thing I tried during pureed stage was my salmon spread. I used canned salmon, cottage cheese, spoonful of sour cream (nonfat Greek yogurt would work also), onion powder & garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, chives, and parsley flakes. I mixed it in my mini chopper & loved the flavor and consistency.

Back