• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

keeping someone on track

kph

My boyfriends lapband surgery is on April 2,2012 BUT he has to follow an all liquid diet for 2 weeks. He started yesterday and now today he's talking about dropping the surgery. HELP!! I'm trying my hardest to encourage him, support him and even thought I would do the diet with him but my Dr's office called and said they had been discussing that idea and they feel I am doing so well they don't want me to jepardize my progress by doing it. Please give me some words to say to keep him going.

KPH-No one said this was going to be a walk in the park and I'm sure your boyfriend has realized this by now. You can tell him a lot of things to try to encourage him to continue with the 2 week liquid diet but HE needs to make the commitment. He needs to pull up his big boy shorts and get with the program. I don't mean to sound harsh but this is what I would say if I were in your situation.

has he lost committment or is he just scared of the surgery. you might approach him that all of this is only temporary. he is going to be able to have real foods bout 6 wks after surgery. It may take watching youprogress to give heim the courage to keep going. aguy wouldnever admit they are scared. the other thing is he really should talk to his doctor about this. good luck, take care of yourself first. remembermthat a lap bandloses quickly bit require total committtment to maintain the weight loss..patti

hi KPH

any luck with your boyfriend deceiding to go on with the surgery? I know it gets scary, I just got my first appt.to see surgeon for may4, I hope that they'll tell me to start my 2 week liquid then, and schedule my surgery. did all the paper work test etc.
I know it seems to consume my thoughts , when it comes to food and knowing all the things we aren't allowed to have and how for the rest of my life these choices won't change. but I hope for his sake he goes through with it. I know for my I must so it will help me put an end to the medical issues my weight has caused. I have clothes that I want to wear and get them out to remind myself you'll be in these before you know it and then will also be able to shop for smaller sizes.
did you say you've already had the w/l surgery? I will pray your boyfriend finds peace with his decesion and makes the best choice for him and his health.
don't give up!
Donna

toeveryone who haas or plans to have the surgery it is a life altering decision but for me the surgery was not as scary ans the alternative of dying from sleep apnea.patti

congratulations on your weight loss, looks like you've done well since your surgery. Happy for you, wishing you continued success and good health!
Donna

That's great news Kathy. Be sure to let all of us know how he is progressing and tell Steve we will all be thinking of him and sending well wishes.

Back