• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Lacking Protein

mmccarty

I am not getting near enough protein in and I am starting to feel the effects of it. I got the protein powder called unjury. It is supposed to be tasteless but the smell is so bad I can't drink it. I am sick of protein shakes. I am trying to drink milk and eat high protein foods but I am still not getting what I need. I wish it came in pill form. Anyone have any other suggestions on protein sources? :confused:

That's the only way to get the protein in since you can't eat enough food. Have you tried mixing with jello or pudding? I can't smell anything when I make mine! Each nose is different. I'm using Unjury Chocolate Splendor, Vanilla, Strawberry, and Chicken soup too.

I am not getting near enough protein in and I am starting to feel the effects of it. I got the protein powder called unjury. It is supposed to be tasteless but the smell is so bad I can't drink it. I am sick of protein shakes. I am trying to drink milk and eat high protein foods but I am still not getting what I need. I wish it came in pill form. Anyone have any other suggestions on protein sources?

Have you tried adding the Unjury unflavored to sugar-free Jello? Or to Crystal Light, as some others do? How about the DaVinci or Torani flavored syrups?

Unfortunately, you aren't going to be able to eat enough to supply your body with sufficient protein for a long time.

You must find a protein shake you like. So, you don't like the Unjury unflavored. No problem. Try another brand. Try another flavor.

There are many brands out there and, within those brands, different lines you may or may not like. Look for samples so you're not stuck with a large amount of something you don't like. Vitalady offers samples. BJ's Bariatrics offers samples. Our Forum Host may offer samples; I don't know. Syntrax Nectars offers samples. There are lots of samples available if you will only look for them.

Maybe you won't like any of the powdered protein supplements. Maybe you will prefer the pre-mixed, ready to drink versions. There are many of those out there, easily available at WalMart, Costco, Sam's Club, Walgreen's, CVS and lots of other retailers. And, of course, there are all the online sources.

There are some clear protein drinks; you might like those. Isopure is one.

Bottom line? You must find a protein supplement you like, as you will need it to keep your protein intake high enough to keep you healthy, to keep you healing, to keep you losing weight. And when you find one you like, keep looking until you find at least one more so you have an alternate and don't need to have the same thing day in and day out.

Look around to past posts. Many people have posted the brands or flavors they like the best.

You will find something. But only if you look for it.

And when you find it, it'll get better. Really!

Mmccarty-I'm not saying this to be mean or anything but you don't need to like the taste of the protein shakes, you just need to drink them. It's CRITICAL that you get a minimum of 60 grams of protein every day. Keep in mind all protein is not created equal and you need to get your protein from specific sources. Please call your nutritionist for help in figuring out a safe and effective protein source that you can tolerate. In the meantime, keep sipping those protein shakes. Plug your nose so you can't smell or taste it.

I have had to start drinking MooTopia Milk. It is a high protein, low fat, lactose free milk. None 8oz serving has 12 grams of protein. I had tried 3 different protein shakes and they did not sit well with my new pouch. My nutritionist and nurse practitioner both told me to drink that.

You are right. I need to suck it up and choke down the shakes. I drank one last night and this morning. Each has 25g of protein. So if I just drink 2 and continue to eat high protein foods and drink milk I will be good.

I need to suck it up and choke down the shakes. I drank one last night and this morning. Each has 25g of protein. So if I just drink 2 and continue to eat high protein foods and drink milk I will be good.

There's no need to be mean to yourself! Find something you like.

Being mean to yourself, forcing yourself to "suck it up" and "choke down the shakes" is not necessary. That behavior will come back to haunt you. Would you treat a child in that fashion? I hope not.

Do you deserve any less than someone's precious child? I think not. Take good care of yourself. Find a protein supplement you like. You will find it if you look.

Last edited:
Have you tried premiere protein shakes from Sams or Costco the chocolate is good and they are less exspensive than some shakes they are also 30g of protein.

Mmccarty-Things will get better for you. You're barely a month out from surgery and are probably having issues with everything not tasting good to you yet. I was that way too and would actually run away from food of any kind. I wish I was still that way *LOL* I started getting my appetite back after 5 or 6 weeks but it wasn't until just a few weeks ago that my pouch would tolerate whole meats. I was living on hot cereal, protein drinks, lean lunchmeats, canned tuna, canned chicken and cheese.

Like I mentioned in my first post you need to continue to drink the protein drinks until you talk to your nutritionist and together find something you can tolerate. I would like to make a suggestion that you use egg white powder instead of the standard whey or soy based protein drinks. Egg whites are almost tasteless and are the gold standard of protein. I don't understand why there aren't more pre-made products made with egg whites. One place I bought egg white powder from is netrition.com. You can also buy it in a larger quantity from honeyville.com. iHerb.com carries low carb flavored egg white protein supplement powder-see link below.
http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=egg white powder#none

Make sure you let us know how you are coming along.

Hi mmccarty,
I had my surgery a couple of days before you. I have had my bouts with the protein powder. I am doing better with the Unjury unflavored. I make mine with crystal light. If I mix the crystal light first, I don't notice the smell. Once it sits a few minutes, it all blends. Much better for me. I know it's not easy. Perhaps you could buy a few samples of another brand. Health food stores and even some grocery stores carry a variety of single packs. Good luck in what ever works for you.

Hello,

I am having the same problem. I am a nurse and cannot bear the smell of anything that tastes or smells like tube feeding!
However, i bought a flavorless protein whey powder named Designer Whey. I make smoothies with it. I add two scoops(40 gm), greek yogurt (14-24 gm) milk (8gm) and frozen fruit and blend! It is working for me. I also try to buy foods high in protein like Boca Burgers and greek yogurt.

I am having the same problem. I am a nurse and cannot bear the smell of anything that tastes or smells like tube feeding!
However, i bought a flavorless protein whey powder named Designer Whey. I make smoothies with it. I add two scoops(40 gm), greek yogurt (14-24 gm) milk (8gm) and frozen fruit and blend! It is working for me. I also try to buy foods high in protein like Boca Burgers and greek yogurt.

Welcome, Dominique,

I'm glad the Designer Whey unflavored is working for you.

Have you tried the Syntrax Nectar line? They are fruit flavored. The flavors are so good you can eat them right out of the tub, if you're so inclined. Sounds weird, I know. And I wouldn't suggest trying that with any other whey protein powder supplement I know of.

No tube feeding smells here!

Way to go McCarty. Keep searching around for a protien powder you like though, I was very finicky too but eventually I did find a few I liked, I still haven't tried Unjuryu but I will, I just have a hard time trying new things:rolleyes: 2 shakes a day and high protien meals in between sounds like asolid plan! Hang in there it does get better. :cool: Tom

Hi,.
I'm drinking muscle milk light for my protein...it has 20 grams for an 8.25 oz drink. I like the chocolate because it isn't too sweet. Sometimes I mix the muscle milk, chobani plain yogurt, ice cubes and splenda to make a "smoothie". I've found out that when I don't get my protein in I don't lose weight. I'm only 8 weeks out, but I'm learning. Another good thing about the muscle milk is they have individual flavors and sizes in a lot of grocery stores so you don't put out a lot of money for something you might not like. Also, if you have a costco anywhere close they have $6.00 off coupons every so often. Hope this helps and don't give up!

Maybe try different shakes? Sometimes our tastes change...I have been taking the Pure Protein Shakes since my surgery and have never gotten tired of them...I still take one a day...I really like the chocolate ones. They make them with 20 and 35 mgs of protein. I like their bars as well.

I tried Unjury and wanted to puke. Keep looking around for something you can tolerate. There are too many replies here for me to read them all so I will just voice my opinion. I won't drink or eat anything I don't like EXCEPT liquid potassium. Without that, I will die. Sort of defeats the purpose of getting healthy, don't you think? LOL. That said..I think I use Muscle Milk. I mix it with water, add some vanilla, sometimes fruit, put in a little fiber cuz I need it, tons of ice. It's a milk shake. I like the chocolate the best. It comes in vanilla too. I say I think I use it because it comes in this HUGE canister and I rip off the labels and use them to store baking supplies. LOL. I don't eat it, but I bake it. My container just says "Protein Powder" in permanent marker. It matches the other containers. LOL.

Listen, hang in there. Keep trying. Without the protein you will get really sick. So, Darlin, please try. See if you can get samples of different ones.

I absolutely HATE the protein bars. They are sickening sweet to me and wayyyyyyyyyy too much for me to eat in one sitting. So it defeats the purpose. I need 3-4 a day to get the extra protein I require and only 2 shakes.

I'll look around next time I get to town and see what I find. I really really feel for you. I understand what you are going through. I wouldn't drink it either.

Hang in there.

I'm new to the forum....but I'm 7mo post op and I can't find a concoction that works....I know, I know I really need to be drinking them but I hate the taste, the consistency*gag* I feel like a small child eating veggies...I knw that my lack of protein intake is contributing to my slow weight loss progression and subsequent hair loss....but ick

I use the pure protein premixed shakes from walmart. The cost is about $8.00 for a 4 pack. I am also using the walmart brand whey protein. I mix it with warm water, Not hot. It is almost like hot chocolate and is 28 grams of protein per serving. I mix it with about 4-6 oz of water.

I have two pages of recipes for shakes of all kinds flavors. I got them from a coworker who had his surgery 9 years ago and still looks great. Never knew he had the surgery. I asked him what shakes he likes and he gave me these recipes. Protein Shakes pg1.jpgProtein Shakes pg2.jpg

I'm going to make some tonight, have to go get the ingredients. I hope some of you find this useful.

:cool:

Last edited:
I have a similar situation, I CANNOT drink the protein drinks, make me feel VERY full feeling after a sip or two, the wait, then sip or two, but after an hour or more, I am not half done with one can of protein. Have tried powdered proteins, liquids, all kinds and makes, and cannot get them down. Most if not all fluids are the same, yogurts, cottage cheese all make me feel really really full really fast! I noticed if I have a hot meal like Wendy's chili homemade, it goes down better, same with chowder but no corn. Had mussels in chowder tonight. Not sure why cold is hard and hot is good. I was able to eat a whole yogurt my second week but not know. Not sure what is going on. I had some blood work done today due to ? dehydration and my electrolytes, protein, kidney tests, liver tests are all normal as was my Calcium and CBC so not anemic either. I was shocked given what I eat. Today, 1/8 cup of cottage cheese, and nothing for lunch(too full) and dinner was the chowder. Sip on H2O I feel better about what I am eating and drinking now that I see that my numbers are ok and am 1 month 4 days out from surgery and was sure I was going to have to have an IV but not.
I think we need to relax, try some beans and chili and yogurt dips etc. Hope this helps.

Back