• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Lap Band to Bypass - New Here

conshd

Hello, my name is Heather and I am in the final stages of getting my surgery date for the gastric bypass! In 2007 I got the Lap Band placed and was very successful in losing 115 pounds in the first year. That was unfortunately the end of my success and over the course of 10 years I gained it all plus some back. I struggled with years of infertility and 3 miscarriages due to my weight until we had our beautiful baby girl in 2017! I am fed up with being overweight and am excited to get this surgery! I know how much work it's going to be and I am ready! We wanted more children but because of my weight and age it doesn't seem to be in the cards and we cannot bear to go through more losses in the process. Summer of 2019 my band became so restricted that I could not even get fluids down so I rushed over to my original clinic and paid another $250 to have all the fluid removed and told them I will be going through my current healthcare team and having the band removed! In September 2019 I was freed from the band and started the process to get the gastric bypass.

Today I have my consultation with the surgeon to discuss next steps (this is the 7th and final step before surgery and one that I have been working towards for a year now). I am worried because I had to have emergency gallbladder removal end of May and I am hoping that he won't require me to wait to have the bypass completed. I have fluctuated in my weight over the last year and bouncing 5 pounds back and forth. When this same surgeon met with me to remove the band he told me he expects that I will gain some weight after he removes the band and doesn't expect me to lose weight before surgery so I am hoping that is still the case.

Welcome! I’m preop, having gastric bypass, in about 6-8 weeks. 3 more visits plus an EKG and I’m joining the losers club! It’s the best club to be in LOL You’ll find a lot of great resources here :)

welcome, Heather. Gallbladder removal is a pretty common procedure that often takes place at the same time as the surgery for weight loss. The fact that you are pretty far out from it makes it feel to me like it's not going to be a problem. Unless you have some slow healing issue, seems your doctor should go right ahead and do it.

Hi Heather -

Welcome to the group! My 17 yr old had emergency gallbladder removal surgery in May of this year also. She recovered rather quickly. Just follow your doctors orders. People who have gastric bypass can ultimately have issues with their gallbladders after surgery. Some may have to take daily medication after bypass to prevent gallbladder issues.

Best of luck to you on your new life changing surgery!

Back