• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Las Vegas in my future

Leesok

Hi all,

If things go as planned, I should be moving to Las Vegas this year. That being said, I am now starting to seriously think about bypass surgery.

Without insurance, having bypass surgery means I will have to pay for it myself (from savings) and this then means that I need to also spend time finding out what the "cash price" will be.

I currently reside in south Texas and there are two centers nearby that perform this work and I have been quoted a "cash Price" from one. Here is what they said

"The Cash Price for the Gastric Bypass is $17,660.00 but you may be interested in looking into the Sleeve Procedure that is a cash price of $13,335.00."

I have a few assumptions about Las Vegas; they are

1) Bypass Doctors in Las Vegas are competent.
2) There are more Doctors in Las Vegas performing bypass surgeries and hence there is more competition for my business.

I am seeking any and all feedback where others have heard about "cash price" or "no insurance price" for bypass surgery and specifically from those in Las Vegas area who have had gastric bypass.

Leesok-Welcome to the forum. I live in Michigan. I had a few quotes a while back when my insurance would not cover surgery. About 18 months ago I was quoted a price of around $14,500 for gastric bypass. The cost would be higher if there were complications that would extend my hospital stay. Considering inflation I think your quote is probably in-line.

Choose a board certified surgeon with a proven track record for the type of surgery you decide to have. You may also be able to find feedback from other patients on the Internet but be careful because anyone can rate a surgeon, even if they did not have the surgery.

The other option is to wait to have surgery until you can get medical insurance either through employment or self-pay. I'm thinking a years worth of self pay insurance is a lot less than paying for the surgery outright. Make sure to ask the right questions like pre-existing conditions and exclusions, out of pocket expenses and if this surgery is covered. Write a list before you start calling around.

Make sure to come back to visit the forum and let us know how things are going for you or for support. There are so many great people here that you are not going to believe it until you start visiting often.

Back