• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Life changing experience!

Rebirth61

Yes, having the duodenal switch literally changed my life. And you would expect it would. I do have issues when I see myself. I haven't gotten used to the fact that I am within a normal weight range. I spent too much time being ashamed, self-conscious, less than...and the list goes on. I did a lot of self-loathing. I have to get to know this new person that looks back at me in the mirror. By the way, it has been almost 2 years since I had the duodenal switch.

I'd be curious to know how you feel about the "new you." Do you have an acceptance of your new self? Also, I would most like to hear from those who had the duodenal switch. How was your recovery? Are you having any difficulties?

I appreciate you sharing your experiences with me.

Thanks so much!

Yes, having the duodenal switch literally changed my life. And you would expect it would. I do have issues when I see myself. I haven't gotten used to the fact that I am within a normal weight range. I spent too much time being ashamed, self-conscious, less than...and the list goes on. I did a lot of self-loathing. I have to get to know this new person that looks back at me in the mirror. By the way, it has been almost 2 years since I had the duodenal switch.

I'd be curious to know how you feel about the "new you." Do you have an acceptance of your new self? Also, I would most like to hear from those who had the duodenal switch. How was your recovery? Are you having any difficulties?

Thanks so much!

WELCOME to the Forum!!!

I had the gastric bypass. I don't think very many people have had the duodenal switch on this forum. I can however tell you I have lost a lot of weight and I am as happy as can be. I still have more to lose but if I never lose another pound I am in heaven. Life is so different. I am a normal person now. I can wear a size 16 instead of a 5X. I don't have a problem with myself thinking I'm still a very fat person. I feel so good it's amazing! I could be sad for all the years I was extremely overweight and did nothing about it but that would just waste more time now. Life is amazing and I enjoy every day and am so thankful I had surgery! :)

Cheyenne :cool:

Thanks so much!

Hello,

I also had the gastric bypass. Most here on the forum have either had the gastric bypass or the sleeve.

I know I am a very happy person and I have definitely see my life change as you say.

I can look in the mirror and smile now having achieved my goal and on maintenance and doing fine.

I am still on my honeymoon sort of speak since it is only a little over a year since my procedure, but what a wonderful experience to date.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Congratulations on your success. I felt the same way about myself. I am first seeing family I haven't seen in over 20 years all because I didn't want people seeing me, I was so ashamed. It took be a while to get used to the new person but I'm finding wearing the new wardrobe helps a lot (my old tuxedo is a size 56; my new tuxedo is a size 42). The funny thing is that when I used to ride the subway the middle seat on the 3-seater was always empty. Now people take the middle seat which can be annoying but that's the sacrifice a "normal" sized person has to deal with. I have done very well with sales at Macy's (even cheaper before Black Friday) and now when I try on clothes I look at myself (maybe even study) instead of the quick look I would do just to get it over with. The ironic thing I find is having once been the largest person in the room I now run into a lot of people who are now larger than me. I don't gloat but it is something that I need to process.

Congratulations on your success. I felt the same way about myself. I am first seeing family I haven't seen in over 20 years all because I didn't want people seeing me, I was so ashamed. It took be a while to get used to the new person but I'm finding wearing the new wardrobe helps a lot (my old tuxedo is a size 56; my new tuxedo is a size 42). The funny thing is that when I used to ride the subway the middle seat on the 3-seater was always empty. Now people take the middle seat which can be annoying but that's the sacrifice a "normal" sized person has to deal with. I have done very well with sales at Macy's (even cheaper before Black Friday) and now when I try on clothes I look at myself (maybe even study) instead of the quick look I would do just to get it over with. The ironic thing I find is having once been the largest person in the room I now run into a lot of people who are now larger than me. I don't gloat but it is something that I need to process.

All I can say to you is CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Back