• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Liquid Diet

demarici

Well tomorrow is the day that I start the liquid diet for 2 weeks. My surgery is scheduled for Sept 21st. I am nervous and anxious and very excited to start this new chapter in my life. They advised me that I might have to inject a blood thinner or 14 days after the surgery has anyone else had to do this? They stated its to prevent blood clots. I don't do well with needles so not looking forward to this part.

Hi Demarici...good luck on your upcoming surgery. I had my Gastric Bypass on July 25, 2012. I had to also take the shots for 2 weeks post surgery. My husband gave them to me twice a day and they had to be given in the stomach, about 2 inches away from the belly button. Most of the time they didn't hurt. A few times i'd feel a pinch. Try not to touch or rub the spot after the shot, because it will bruise if you do. If you don't do well with needles you're best bet is to have someone else do them for you. Good Luck!

Hi Demaici, it is ok to be nervous anxious and excited as well as a few other emotions, I remember it finally hit me when I had my surgeon vist and set my surgery date:eek: I did ok with the liquid diet but the last 24 hours really got to me all I could have was clear liquids, I thought I was going to go nuts:rolleyes: and I could barely sleep, so you are not alone mopst of us have gone through this also and we are here for you if you need advise or just want to vent. :cool: Tom

Demarici-I had to give myself blood thinner shots in my belly for 2 weeks. I got the pre-filled syringes called Lovenox. The needles are super fine and sharp and are short in length. I never felt any pain at all when I injected myself except if I didn't let the alcohol dry beforehand. If the alcohol was wet it would sting just a little.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone I am sure that I will be coming here alot for the support and to ask everyone questions.

I have diabetes and take insulin so the needles aen'y that bad. But I have not yet had surgery date waiting for my sleep study next friday.

For those of you who can't bear the thought of giving yourself blood thinner injections after surgery I'm sure you could make arrangements to go to your doctor's office for your injections. Just call the office and explain the situation and ask for appointments with a nurse or medical assistant. It's inconvienent but it sure beats the alternative if you don't get the injections!!! I'm not positive but perhaps a home care aide would come to your home to give the injections but you need to check with your insurance to see if it's a covered benefit. Also, some communities offer assistance to seniors and people with disabilities. Check with your local community center to see if someone there can assist with injections. There is no need to have a medical license to give this sort of injection, just a little experience is all that is necessary. One more thought, check with your local pharmacy to see if someone there will assist you if you go into their store for the shot. If you are a regular customer I'm almost sure they will help you at no cost or a very minimal cost.

Last edited:
9th day of liquid diet

9th day of liquid diet and 8 to go... Has anyone ever tried a Tablespoon of Lime Juice to beef broth? Tried it and it takes like thai soup...ALSO agree, yumm jello...:p

I see we both have the same surgery date, what I am concerned with is our dr told the group at the pre-op meeting to stay on a 1200 calorie diet, everyone else I've read about has also had to do all liquids, I called the office to make sure and still haven't received a return call. anxious yes, nervous ,yes continually thinking about all the major changes that are taking place in my life and getting excited thinking of clothes I will feel comfortable wearing again and regaining my self confidence and knowing I'll be able to throw away alot of med. because I'll be a happy healthier me. what time is your surgery ? I have to be a hospital at 6;30am surgery is suppose to start at 8;30 are you on all clear liquids or protein drinks? drinking the protein here and some protein foods.
donna

I'll have to try that with some chilllie peppers, that does sound yummy... I wish I had this forum when I went through WLS. Hang in there. :cool: Tom

I have been on liquid diet since Friday and it doesnt seem like I am loosing weight, I am doing the 3 shakes a day with only 3 snacks a day and I sometimes dont even have the 3 has anyone else had this problem? Am I suppose to be sipping the protein drink for a 1/2 hour or does that even matter. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks Doris

Kara-It's normal to be sent home on a blood thinner. Some of us were prescribed injections and others take pills.

Lovenox- does everyone have to do that or just some people? Have done it before due to another problem and could do again IF I HAD TO but would prefer to do pills like Plavix or Coumadin, is it that you are not supposed to crush them that they do not have you do that or ???

I bought some Protein drink EAS Low Carbo and it tasted GREAT but it made my GERD act up pretty bad, is this common and if so what to do other than take an extra Prilosec. I was testing it so when I have to do two weeks of it pre op I will know which ones I like and which ones NO. NOT sure what I would do if these are going to make my GERD bad.

Sandie-I wasn't given the option to take a pill. It was Lovenox twice a day for 10 days or another injectable blood thinner (vial and syringes vs. the pre-filled Lovenox syringes).

Hi Bigtallsis

How was your surgery? We had the same date, sept 19th. Are you having any trouble eating? I have to stuggle to get food down. Very Tired at times.
Hope you feel great. I have lost over 30 pounds, yeah. Feels good. Also having trouble finding calcium citrate chewable. Know of any that taste ok?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Cynthia

Back