• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Liquids Tomorrow

ShrinkyDink

So, I start on full liquids tomorrow. I will be on them for 2 weeks. I totally intended to eat my way through the weekend. Kind of like having a food funeral. The funny thing is, all of my usual go to comfort foods are just not good. I do not want them. Weird, right?

Tomorrow, I can have anything that I can get through a straw, without chunks, and it has to be sugar-free. Any advice or suggestions on items that really helped any of you the most? You know, that one item that saved your butt from caving.

Has anyone heard from Mamabearof4?

Many many congratulations to Shrinky Dink. You are a model member who also contributes your wisdom to newcomers. You are a great person.

As to MamaBear, I have stopped worrying. I am sure she has set up her account so that she can read all the post in her email account, like I do. She doesn't have to come online unless she wants to post. And it's really likely that she is too busy with the kids and has and has already managed to overcome this problem with nausea. If she were still having problems, I am sure she would find a way to let us know. She is the kind of person who worries about others and wants to know what's going on, and especially when someone is absent for a few days. She gets very concerned. So she wouldn't leave us hanging. She'll be back.

I start my liquid diet on Wednesday. I can honestly say that I am getting nervous because in 2 1/2 weeks it will be surgery time and I hope everything goes smoothly...I am sure you will do great on your liquid diet and I wish you the best of luck with your new you.
Same to you!!! I’m getting nervous too. So many changes coming. This isn’t just changing my life, it changes my whole family’s lives as well. It’s all so exciting and overwhelming, all at the same time. We’ve got this!

So, I start on full liquids tomorrow. I will be on them for 2 weeks. I totally intended to eat my way through the weekend. Kind of like having a food funeral. The funny thing is, all of my usual go to comfort foods are just not good. I do not want them. Weird, right?

Tomorrow, I can have anything that I can get through a straw, without chunks, and it has to be sugar-free. Any advice or suggestions on items that really helped any of you the most? You know, that one item that saved your butt from caving.

I have enjoyed broth with unflavored protein powder. I would eat it with a spoon so I would feel like I was having chicken soup.

I bought all kinds of my old comfort foods this past weekend, but I didn’t want any of it. It was weird. I guess I am truly ready for this. I gave away a whole Walmart sack of chocolate. My husband offered to take me anywhere I wanted to go out to eat to. I totally didn’t want anything. I started my liquids on Monday. So far it has been a breeze. I am hungry often, but it’s not that “I’m starving “ kind of hunger. It passes really fast too. So far the hardest thing has been dealing with my mother. She went with me to my pre-op work up yesterday. She acted like a 2 y/o because I wouldn’t go watch her eat Mexican food. She wanted a margarita. I stayed strong and stood my ground though!

Omg, I was in the grocery store with my mom about a week ago, we were shopping for dinner. She tried to put a bag of garlic pretzels in the cart and I said no, they are not coming in my house! She pouted so finally I said ok, if you take them home with you we'll get them. She goes,"I don't want them in my house, I won't be able to stay out of them!"
Way to be strong!

Omg, I was in the grocery store with my mom about a week ago, we were shopping for dinner. She tried to put a bag of garlic pretzels in the cart and I said no, they are not coming in my house! She pouted so finally I said ok, if you take them home with you we'll get them. She goes,"I don't want them in my house, I won't be able to stay out of them!"
Way to be strong!
People that don’t know the struggle just don’t get it!! She literally keeps saying that I’m going to have to toughen up. That I am going to have to be able to watch them eat at restaurants. No, no I don’t! If I were that strong, I wouldn’t be 380lbs! I’m just gritting my teeth and standing my ground. Especially during my pre-op phase. Seriously though! UGH!!! How about a little support?

You go girl! You don't have to do anything you don't want to do! Someday you might do restaurants again, if and when you are ready and it is your choice!
I haven't been to one since my surgery but mainly because I just don't feel like it. This is the first time in my life when I have made my health, needs and wants, a priority. I'm 49 and it's about time!

damn! I lost my post. Well, here's what was left of it.

dinner. American portions are obscenely big anyway, but for a post-op

My ex-husband is my best friend. He is the only person in the world who knows every single thing about me, including stuff I won't ever share with anyone. He & his wife are always inviting me to these expensive dinners at this favorite restaurant. For my birthday a coupla weeks ago, they sent me a text offering me dinner anywhere I wanted to go, no expense spared! This is kind of passive-aggressive of her because she KNOWS dining out is wasted on me. I watch these people scarf down every bite of food on the table while I'm sitting there with my tiny plate, unable to finish my person, out of the question. So I'm meeting just him for a cup of coffee tomorrow, before my doctor's appointment.

By the way, I cook & bake for myself, where I can control portions & freeze the good stuff before I even eat it. I'm thinking of making an instagram page of my cuisine.

View attachment 1995

I had a lot of technical problems when I I had a lot of technical problems when I was posting. And those pictures that came in where are the pictures I really wanted to share. Those dishes were pretty much made for a big dinner party I had where I made the 5 lb cheesecake and gave most of it away to go home with the guests, and the creme brulee and asparagus quiche with hashbrown crust was for an entirely different dinner party. The rolls are lemon rolls and I made those just for myself to try them out and they were fantastic. My apologies to anyone who can't eat bread. I want to show you what I have been eating lately.

This is a chicken burrito/wrap. I use a lot of vegetables and lean chicken with no dressing, which I saute in a tiny amount of olive oil and then chicken broth. Then I use a standard flour tortilla to wrap it up in. In this case I served it with sugar free Jello.

This is a green salad made of rocket arugula. I top it with shredded chicken breast sliced apples some kind of white cheese like beecher's cheddar and homemade croutons. I dress it with my own homemade vinaigrette.

IMG_20190726_191048_607.jpg

Last edited:
I had a lot of technical problems when I I had a lot of technical problems when I was posting. And those pictures that came in where are the pictures I really wanted to share. Those dishes were pretty much made for a big dinner party I had where I made the 5 lb cheesecake and gave most of it away to go home with the guests, and the creme brulee and asparagus quiche with hashbrown crust was for an entirely different dinner party. The rolls are lemon rolls and I made those just for myself to try them out and they were fantastic. My apologies to anyone who can't eat bread. I want to show you what I have been eating lately.

This is a chicken burrito/wrap. I use a lot of vegetables and lean chicken with no dressing, which I saute in a tiny amount of olive oil and then chicken broth. Then I use a standard flour tortilla to wrap it up in. In this case I served it with sugar free Jello.
View attachment 1999
This is a green salad made of rocket arugula. I top it with shredded chicken breast sliced apples some kind of white cheese like beecher's cheddar and homemade croutons. I dress it with my own homemade vinaigrette.

View attachment 2000

YUM!!!! You're a fabulous cook Diane! :)

Way to be strong!

I "do lunch" with my mom quite often, a couple times a month. It has always been a way to visit, in a public environment where conversations cannot escalate into a possible argument (still working on my old codependency issues). While I can observe her biting her tongue about surgery for the most part, my choosing healthy foods and eating much less is definitely getting to her. Last week she literally started dividing her food and tried to put it on my plate. I had to remind her that I'm eating plenty and that the doctors think I'm healthy. She sighed but stopped.

All this is crazy because growing up, she was my toughest critic about weight. But that's me holding on to the past and making it real today. Point is, some people will never be completely supportive with this decision.

I'm also preparing myself for the "you're way too thin" comments that will surely come in the near future. She keeps telling me that my perfect weight is 170 (why she decided on this weight is a mystery to me), and my goal is to be in the "normal" BMI range, 20+lbs under that. Don't get me wrong, I'd be grateful to weigh 170 for the rest of my life if that's where I end up. But why not shoot for the stars now that I have this priceless tool?

Anyway... my 2 cents. ;)

Back