• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Little frustrations

Christy0829

Good evening,
I’m almost one month post op, and doing pretty good! Little overly-conscious of my bowel habits but I’m pretty sure it’s partly due to getting bored at home. All in all things have been good, until the other day. Preparing for this surgery was no quick thing. Among all the required doctor appointments, and paperwork was making sure I could allow myself the time I knew I needed to safely adjust to the changes in my life and my body before returning to work, which is a safety conscious role. I enrolled in short term disability insurance through my union, made sure I got the one that was a greater contribution, but paid the closest to my salary in the shortest time. I’ve paid for this for over a year, and when I enrolled, I told the rep my plans for surgery, she assured me of coverage.
I found out yesterday that they just decided to pay me for 14 days. No explanation, no reason. I was simply informed (after I called them, mind you), that that “was what the auditors approved”.
Now I am needing to fill out all that paperwork again, and I had a hard time initially having my bariatric nurse saying I would be out of work for 30 days. I know it might seem like small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, and maybe I’m just expecting too much from already busy other people? I have my 30 day post op tomorrow and I don’t know why the thought of having to ask them to do my paperwork again is daunting, but it is. I know I should be grateful for any pay, but I’ve paid in twice what they approved me for.
Am I way off base? Is there some verbiage I need to have on my forms? Maybe my frustration is that hormonal stuff I read about?
Sigh,
I guess I just needed to vent a pinch.
You guys are great.

It could be that there is an elimination period on the policy of 14 days/10 business days, so the 30 was approved, but the payout is only for the time after the elimination period. Almost all short term disability policies have at least a 5 day elimination period. If this is the case, there is no need to fill out paperwork again unless the doctor keeps you off work longer. You can PM me if you have additional questions about these policies (I am a licensed agent that deals with these all the time, so I can give some specific details to you).

My short term disability did not "kick in" for 2 weeks. Meaning I did not get paid for the first 2 weeks I was off. I did get paid for the time my doctor requested for the rest.

Surgeons office staff are extremely used to filling out FMLA/disability paperwork for their patients. Most companies require one or both to give you any benefits. So this is not something you need to feel awkward about or find daunting. They are not going to be like WHY ARE YOU BOTHERING US?!? They deal with insurance companies that are trying to do/pay the least possible all the time.

I am grateful my surgery happened after I retired. But I can say that you have been given some good info here on how to work with your bariatric team and the insurance provider. my last position was with the state Medicaid/snap program for qualifying for benefits. So they do make you jump through a lot of hoops to get help that you need/want. Hang in there you can do this.

Don't you have something in writing that reflects your original agreement?
Yes, my union rep is working on it. This is good. I’m not very good at confrontations or saying what I need. Things I’m working thru. I’m finding that the post surgery stuff is not easy. Stepping back into work life balance is tricky, and figuring out how to eat slowly WHILE being a bus driver is hard. I’m praying all goes well with my Short term disability stuff. Thank you!

It could be that there is an elimination period on the policy of 14 days/10 business days, so the 30 was approved, but the payout is only for the time after the elimination period. Almost all short term disability policies have at least a 5 day elimination period. If this is the case, there is no need to fill out paperwork again unless the doctor keeps you off work longer. You can PM me if you have additional questions about these policies (I am a licensed agent that deals with these all the time, so I can give some specific details to you).
Thank you!!!!

Back