• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Looking for a Good Support Group

wsmith0914

Hello,
My name is Wendy and I am a 47 year old female married to my husband almost 25 years (January 7) with three sons (23, 21, and almost 17). I am scheduled for the Gastric Sleeve surgery December 9 and am looking for a good bariatric support group to help me out with questions and concerns through this process. I am excited, yet nervous to start this new journey of my life. I have one more week of "normal" eating then start the 2 week pre-op diet the week of Thanksgiving. I have several questions about this pre-op diet and am hoping I can get some helpful tips to guide me through this initial phase of the surgery.

I am new to the site and the small amount of time that I have been on here I have learned so many things. You will find a lot of information on the site to help guide you through and if you have any questions there will be someone on here that will help you out. Welcome aboard. Congrats on your upcoming surgery. I hope all goes well with it. Keep us posted.

Thanks Tillie. I see your surgery is fast approaching also. Have you started preop diet yet?
I have that date up because they are trying to get me on the Dec 2nd schedule. I am supposed to see the nurse navigator this week then start pre-op diet. I am staying positive and getting ready to move forward with that date unless i hear otherwise. I am excited and nervous both at the same time. I have most of my post op things set up here at home i just need to purchase my liquid vitamins.

Welcome aboard... Your launch date is fast approaching, :). You will find we have an awesome group of people here. I am on the phase II diet and will most likely be shifted to the official last pre-surgical diet this week on the 20th when I see my surgeon for the last time before my surgery on the 26th.

Welcome to the group. this is a very good group of people, and if you look around at current and past threads, you can probably get all of your questions answered.
Each surgeon is so different and each pre-op requirement is so different, you need to give some more information on what you are supposed to do.
My surgeon put most people on a 2 week diet of packaged bariatric foods. They were all boosted with extra protein and some were solid and some liquid. You had to eat 6 of these choices a day and it wasn't hard at all, I guess because there was chewing involved. I lost 10 pounds in one week on this diet, and I was amazed and not hungry at all.

Welcome. Your bariatric center might have a post op support group, which many find helpful. I used online support as I was not able to attend my support group as a number of my clients attended it. There is a wealth of information on this site and many others. In the beginning I could always find someone to give me an answer or just some needed support. It has also been helpful to give back to newcomers what I had so generously been given. As regards the pre-op diet you need to check this your NUT. They should be providing information for both pre-op and post op phrases you will be going through Congratulations on choosing this live saving surgery. Wanted to welcome TillieS as well. Hoping your surgery time goes as planned.

Next Monday I will begin liquid diet consisting of jello, Popsicles, sherbet, cream soups, pudding, yogurt, protein shakes and the week before surgery is clear liquid diet. I guess I was wondering if anyone had some creative ways of fixing the food.

I have some old food from a diet I was on called Ideal Protein. That diet is mainly high protein puddings, soups, etc. Does anyone have experience with Ideal Proteim?

Sometimes I add unflavored protein powder to my broth of choice (temp of liquid cannot be over 140 F), I add it to my yogurt and when I make hot chocolate protein drink I add the unflavored to that as well.
I have read where some people will add their flavored protein powder to there coffee, crystal light and other items on their list of allowable foods.
I have included seafood broth into my regimen as well.

I also have on hand PB2 powdered peanut butter, which is like 85% fat free which I was adding to my chocolate protein shakes when I was on the Phase 1 diet. I was making Reeses peanut butter protein shakes. Using the powdered peanut butter also added some extra protein and great flavor. Make sure using the Peanut Butter is alright with your Nut.

http://www.bellplantation.com/products.html

Last night I made a reasonable gingerbread shake using my vanilla protein powder, adding some powdered vanilla, ginger, cloves and cinnamon. Add to your taste.

I also make cinnamon hot chocolate with my chocolate protein powder and a tad of LorAnn cinnamon oil. Nice thing about the LorAnn flavorings, no alcohol and comes in many varieties and flavors.

You can make an Orange Dreamsicle shake using LorAnn orange or A thin mint using LorAnn mint flavoring.

The possibilities are limited by your imagination.

I get my LorAnn flavorings at a local bakery supply house. They are also available on line as well.

Wow all these delicious sounding protein goodies make me look kinda forward to the liquid protein diet. Everything sounds so yummy. I think I need to go shopping some more. Thanks for all these wonderful recepies.

Welcome to this wonderful group of people. I've been here for about 2 weeks and have loved it. The first time was like reading a mystery novel, I just couldn't put it down and read until early morning. I've restricted my time to a few times a day for a quick look see & reply.

I'm lucky because my Bariatric Team doesn't require a two week diet at all. I will have a clear fluids (anything I can see through) diet the day before surgery and some kind of bowel preparation (sounds ominous) and that's it.

Tillie and I have the same surgery date, so this kinda makes us Bariatric buddies to me. But everyone is so very special I genuinely like everyone on this site. As time goes by and if you follow each persons thread through time a fully dimensional personality emerges and true feelings develope for every person who posts.

I'm not used to these kind of online groups, this is my first. I'm surprised how powerful this group is. It has been quite an exceptional experience for me. I hope you will enjoy this group as much as I do, Wendy.

Good luck & best recovery,
K8

I have done protein shake fasts in the past and just let me tell you now this is the big kahuna so experiment. If you have vanilla you can add mio liquids like orange to make a dreamsickle or vanilla or pumpkin spice and nutmeg and cinnamon. Chocolate add a little bit of coffee and some peppermint extract. Have fun and experiment with the shakes or you will get seriously burnt out. There is a natural powder peanut butter.

I start mine next week (omg omg its next week lol). I am so excited but the time is passing slow but yet fast at the same time.

Welcome to the group.

Also, make sure you also find a local group meeting that you can attend in person. It is another powerful tool available to you as you start your journey.

Ralph

Back