• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Looking for an online support group

Hope you are happy beginning your new healthier life. This group will encourage you if you feel stuck or frustrated. As long as you get your 64+ ozs of water daily and your 60+ g protein, continue your movement, and follow your dr's advice on supplements, you should find much success. Good luck

Hello - I just had my WLS (Sleeve) on January 11, 2021. I am looking for a smallish online support group. I'm in San Francisco but since looking online, I am happy to find a group from anywhere. Thank you.
Did you end up finding a support group? I’ve been going to Stanford’s online bariatric support group that meets 1x a month. It’s small-ish and supportive but I’m actually looking for another group for extra support.

We should start another one

Why? Are you finding this group unsupportive?

I've been here for a long, long time, and the group goes through periods of inactivity and then goes nuts with dozens of posts a day. The flaw I see in posts suggesting a new group should be started is that they are usually written by people who don't contribute to the group, but are looking to tell their stories and ask for help.

It's really important to give like you get. Find a post or a thread where others are describing their problems and just jump in with a supportive comment. Even something as simple as "don't give up" is super helpful and allows others to be seen and supported.

A lot of people have come and gone, but what they have contributed was so helpful. It's best, IMO, not to make friends in a support group because that can screw up the support side, and that's the reason the group exists, is to be a supportive resource.

You told a few words of your story but I'd like to hear more. The more you say, the more response you'll get, and the more helpful people can be. I personally respond to almost every post, but it's hard to do it sometimes because the original person who reached out didn't tell me enough to be able to offer something helpful.

There are several people here whose posts you can read by searching their user names, and there's a wealth of knowledge they've shared. Please use the SEARCH box up top on the right and enter a term like "nausea" or "stalled" or "failure" or "success" and you'll be inundated with years worth of posts that will pop up and have great information you can relate to.

Most people also have profiles and you can get to those by hovering your mouse over their picture or icon or searching for their handles. This is a GREAT group, but it's going through a slow phase right now, probably because the season is changing and holidays are coming up, and that affects the quality and amount of posts.

We are here for you. I hope you'll find us useful and supportive.

Back