• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Looking for protien

Sigourney

Has anyone tried muscle milk? It looks interesting but I would love to hear what others have thought of it.

Just my personal opinion, but I tried the Muscle Milk and I did not like the flavor. Most of the grocery stores in my area have a cooler case of health drinks and energy drinks that you can purchase them individually. Maybe you could just pick up a single one to see how you like it, before you go for the larger packs. Everyone's tastes are different.

The brands I have found that I do like are the EAS Advant-Edge. The chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry are all tasty. They don't have that strong vitamin-taste and they have 17g of protein. After my surgery to give me an even bigger protein boost, I used a blender bottle to mix in some extra protein powder. My favorite is the chocolate flavor Premier Protein. They have 30g of protein per shake. However, I can not drink the vanilla flavor of the same brand. I thought it was terrible. Just thought I'd throw those out there in case you haven't tried them and may be looking for something new to try. I hope you find a few that you like, or at least some that you can tolerate.
-Jenny

Just my personal opinion, but I tried the Muscle Milk and I did not like the flavor. Most of the grocery stores in my area have a cooler case of health drinks and energy drinks that you can purchase them individually. Maybe you could just pick up a single one to see how you like it, before you go for the larger packs. Everyone's tastes are different.

The brands I have found that I do like are the EAS Advant-Edge. The chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry are all tasty. They don't have that strong vitamin-taste and they have 17g of protein. After my surgery to give me an even bigger protein boost, I used a blender bottle to mix in some extra protein powder. My favorite is the chocolate flavor Premier Protein. They have 30g of protein per shake. However, I can not drink the vanilla flavor of the same brand. I thought it was terrible. Just thought I'd throw those out there in case you haven't tried them and may be looking for something new to try. I hope you find a few that you like, or at least some that you can tolerate.
-Jenny

That's so funny, I love the Premier Vanilla shake and have it in my decaf every morning. I could not stand chocolate shake anything after the first two months, after surgery. I agree the EAS Metro is pretty good. I'm not too crazy about soy based products and prefer the whey based drinks.

So far I am not too pleased with the shake mixes ..... But there are so many to try. I did discover powdered Miso soup. Much better than a bland broth and more protien. Has anyone had tomato soup during the liquid stage? It is on my list of possibles that I got from the nutritionist - but the sugars seems kind of high and I am a little afraid to try it.

I make a summer squash soup that I might try making tomorrow: take the meat of a cooked butternut squash and 4 or more cooked carrots. Place in a blender add water and milk to taste and purée to soup consistency. I often add cooked onion in this but as I do not know how my stomache will react I think I will hold on this.

Please share ideas - I am already bored with my liquid stage and I have 10 more days!

On a more positive note. I have been home from hospital 2 days and have lost 4 lbs!

I am still trying to find protein drinks I like too. So far I am happy with Matrix "perfect chocolate", orange dream and peanutbutter cookie. Cookies and cream tasted good but did not mix well, the strawberry and banana matrix are also good and not in your face sweet. I tried Nectar sample pack and so far the only one that I have found acceptable is Fuzzy navel. As for Muscle Milk and EAS, Consumer Reports did a a study on high protein drinks, I would encourage you to read their article before buying these. Good luck!

Well I think the first two weeks were the worst - trying to find protein in the liquid diet stage ugh!

Now I am in soft foods and making my own protein drink. In the blender I put 1/2 Chobani non fat plain yogurt, one cup non fat milk, plain unflavored whey protein (27 grams protein) - flavor with your choice of fruit. I have used blue berries, banana, frozen mango. This makes two servings with 20 g proteins or more.

Try different kinds to see what you like

I have tried using the protein powders in recipes. It is hit or miss. Some recipes are good and some are horrible. The protein shakes vary depending on your taste. Ones that I hate, my husband loves. Ones that he tolerates, I love. So you just have to try them and see how it goes. One of the cheaper brands that I found that I like is Body Fortress - sold in Walmart for around $18 for 2 lb. It mixes well (not clumpy) and has a pretty decent taste. I mix 1 scoop (26 grams protein) to 4 oz low-fat milk (4 grams protein) for a 30 gram protein shake. When I was in the liquid stage, I would have 2 of these a day and I would be at my protein goal for the day.

I just found this Whey protein liquid at Wal-Mart that has 42g of protein, no sugar, 180 calories and just 3.8 ounces.

Back