• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Looking for some help..and clarification that I'm not nuts!

DeeElleKay

Hi, my name is Elle and I had GBS on the 25th of September. I had some pretty severe reactions to the pain meds they sent me home one, and once I quit taking them the symptoms of early onset anaphalactic shock went away. However, when I go outside to walk and come back in, my feel and legs itch almost painfully. Is this from the residual anesteshia? Anyone else having a similar situation? Itching cream seems to temporarily help.

Also, my sleep patter is so off the wall. Didn't sleep at all last night, so I was exhausted and fell sleep at 9. Here I am at 1036, wide awake...again. I'm a lady, and I know I need all the beauty sleep I can get...I've got dark circles under my eyes for the first time in my adult life.....not attractive either

Welcome, Elle,

And Congratulations on your weight loss surgery.

It's only natural for most of your so-called normal patterns to be off the wall. After all, you've just had major surgery and your body is trying to heal itself.

This is critical: Are you getting your protein in? Your fluids?

About the itching . . . can you walk indoors without the itch? Although you should be sure to pass along this information to your medicos, could be you just need to limit your walking to indoors for a while.

As to sleeping:

Try to keep your bedroom cool enough that you feel the need for covers of some sort or other; while it's good for your body to be warm, you will sleep better if you're breathing cool air.

Does your clock put out enough light to read it in the dark? If so, turn it to the wall. You want your room to be dark. You may need to close your drapes to keep out ambient light from the street.

Do you have electronics, like a computer, in your bedroom? Make sure they're turned off before you go to bed. Cell phone? Put it to bed when you go to bed; or put it in another room. As to that, stop all bright lights, computer, tv, etc., at least 30 minutes before bedtime.

Have a cup of some soothing tea at least 30 minutes before bedtime; you might try a generic chamomile, or Sleepy Time from Celestial Seasonings (or similar). GABA is also helpful for some people; an integral part of the central nervous system, it quiets the mind, allowing for easier sleep. Check with your doctor or nutritionist first, of course.

Here is some information from the November/December 2012 issue of Natural Health Magazine.

"The air you breathe colors your dreams, according to a German study; pleasant (or foul) smells can influence your state of mind whether you're awake or sleeping soundly.

"So, nix the nightmares by moving your wastebasket and hamper away from the bed, and sweeten your slumber by keeping potpourri, a soothing oil such as lavender, or a few fresh flowers on your nightstand. Both your nose and your subconscious will thank you!" [Note: this does Not mean air fresheners, which are usually filled with chemicals you neither want nor need.)

There are also many deep breathing and visualization exercises which can help. Take a look around the Internet to see what you can find.

Again, Congratulations!

Elle-Please contact a medical professional immediately regarding your itching feet and legs. This is nothing to mess around with. Let us know how things work out regarding this.

Elle-Please contact a medical professional immediately regarding your itching feet and legs. This is nothing to mess around with. Let us know how things work out regarding this.
I agree,the itching does not sound good. You must speak to your doctor asap. Please post back and let us know how you are doing. And congrats on your decision to have WLS.

Welcome to the forum, Elle. Your itching sounds like another allergic reaction. The anesthetic should not be affecting you this many days after surgery. Anyway, keep the faith, you will feel better. And congratulations on starting your weight loss journey. I wish you much success.

Hi Elle. I have to agree with everyone else, the itching feet are a symptom of an allergic reaction to something, it has been a couple of days so hopefully you have taken care of this. As for your sleep pattern that probably has to do with your body healing up. I was taking naps all day and would not be sleepy at night sometimes if I took naps to close to bed time but I eventually got back on my normal pattern. The important thing is to make sure you sleep when you are are tired and drink lots of fluids. :cool: Tom

Hello Elle
I had the itching also. It was due to my skin stretching and shrinking trying to adjust to the rapid weight changes. Also there is a rash that is associated gastric post op patients. I can't think of the name sorry. But once my body started to adjust to the changes the itching stop I also found out that my work out pants were causing my legs to itch while was exercising. Hope this was helpful.

Back