• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Looking for some info

MissyR75

Hi all-
I am currently in the pre-op appointment period for RNY gastric bypass, probably sometime late summer. A little info about me... I am 45, Type 1 diabetic for 32 years, severe GERD and sleep apnea. I currently only eat about 1500 calories a day but have been unable to lose weight or be more active, which is why I want to have surgery. Here is my concern... my husband and I are definite foodies. We eat out at least once a week, all different kinds of food. While I don't eat a lot and can usually get 2-3 meals out of one restaurant meal, what I really want to know is - will I still be able to do this after the recovery period, within reason? Will I be able to have those "cheat days", where I can eat what I want, as long as the portion is correct? I feel like as long as I can still taste the foods we normally get, I will be happy. But I need to know from people who have been through it whether I will still be able to eat what I want occasionally.
Thanks for your help!

Hello and welcome. I am hesitant to answer this question. Many people have no issues and can eat mostly everything they have eaten in the past. Other people cannot handle high fat/high sugar foods at all. So the answer is really .. it depends. I have not tried anything that I cannot tolerate, (except fast food). But as an example, I can only eat about an ounce of steak compared to my 3 oz of ground turkey. So the correct portion is really going to change based on the type of food you're eating. But I am not sure that I would count on being able to have cheat days at least once a week.

With the RNY there is a better chance of dumping syndrome with high fat (greasy) or high sugar foods and drinks. For me one of the biggest aspects of preparing myself for the surgery was readying my brain for the food changes afterwards, and not just after my digestive tract had healed. Of course you can still go out to eat, but what you consume is going to need to be within the parameters of what’s beneficial to your body. I’m only about 5 months out, so I cannot attest to cheat days because I don’t feel like that would be healthy for my brain. I do have times where I will have some sugar free candy or some halo top ice cream. I don’t over indulge in them because it would wreck my digestive tract, I’m a little sensitive to some sugar substitutes, but also because I’m just having it as something small. I love Chinese food and that’s one meal where I would eat until I almost passed out. Now when I order, I get the egg drop soup, and my family will get whatever they want but they always get steamed dumplings and fried wontons. I allow myself 1 of each because it’s not about what you can’t have, it’s about what you can have within reason. I always try to have my protein goal and water goal met before I indulge because then I have less and I know I’ve still been successful for the day.

Thank you both, this is very helpful. I feel like I can handle the restrictions without too much trouble. I do understand that there will be limitations, and some of it will be trial and error. The one reason I've been hesitant to have the surgery the past few years is because I know how important food is to us and our family. Nearly all of our social activities revolve around food, whether it's food tours or cooking classes or just trying new restaurants. I have discussed it with my doctor as well, and I think it just comes to deciding which is better for my quality of life, and I keep coming back to the weight loss.
I appreciate you weighing in. It's very different getting an opinion from someone who has been through it, and not just a medical perspective.

I think another thing that resonates with me when I hear “cheat day” is dieting. And honestly I know that’s not always what it relates to, I guess it’s just what sticks out in my head. I looked at it like this before surgery, if I only stuck with the exact guidelines that my dietitian gave me before surgery could I do that? And right now, even after, I would say yes to about 95% of what they said. I mark myself down 5% when I have the odd onion ring or couple bites of cake. I’ve stopped looking at food as a celebration and changed my mentality to what it needs to be for me which is simply the fuel for my body. The celebration is the people I am with and my experience with them. I’ve got 2 friends who have T1 diabetes and celiac w/ crohns, and when we go out to eat, I knew their limitations, but it never hindered our good time. Now that I am the one at the table with restrictions, it’s changed my perspective for gatherings, so I can value the most important parts: family, friends, memories.

Hi MissyR75! I had gastric sleeve surgery a little over two months ago. My husband and I have gone out to dinner a few times and I even had a girls night out with 3 of my closest friends! My husband and I are both foodies... we go out once a week and love to try new places. I’ve concentrated on ordering something high in protein. When we’ve gone out I use the small appetizer plate (I use small plates at home) to put my food on so I can figure out the correct portion sizes for me. I usually take home 3/4 of my dinner and have some the next day for lunch. I haven’t had any issues with anything I have eaten... and even tried some spicy calamari & a piece of Buffalo shrimp with no problems! You just have to be careful and not overindulge.

Hi MissyR75! I had gastric sleeve surgery a little over two months ago. My husband and I have gone out to dinner a few times and I even had a girls night out with 3 of my closest friends! My husband and I are both foodies... we go out once a week and love to try new places. I’ve concentrated on ordering something high in protein. When we’ve gone out I use the small appetizer plate (I use small plates at home) to put my food on so I can figure out the correct portion sizes for me. I usually take home 3/4 of my dinner and have some the next day for lunch. I haven’t had any issues with anything I have eaten... and even tried some spicy calamari & a piece of Buffalo shrimp with no problems! You just have to be careful and not overindulge.

Meg, that is very helpful... that's pretty much how I planned to handle things. Do you know if it's different with the bypass vs. the sleeve? I was told the sleeve is not a good option for me due to my sever GERD.

Everyone’s journey is completely different. One person may be able to tolerate certain foods while another may not. I’ve been lucky so far. I can’t speak on RNY specifically but like 3mom mentioned with RNY you can experience dumping syndrome. My GERD was mild and therefore I decided to go with the sleeve. Haven’t had any issues with GERD since surgery but I’m also still on Prilosec daily. So I guess we’ll see what happens after 3 months post op. I will say I feel like I am in a such a positive mental state since surgery as far as my overall commitment to eating healthy, staying active and living a long life!!!!

Back