• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Losing weight prior to surgery

So, I've heard I will need to lose weight prior to my surgery. I haven't met with my doctor yet. Did you all wait or did you start before you were even told? I haven't been doing well at just trying on my own and it worries me that I have gain since I first went to the doctor for all my test. Yikes!!! I'm too afraid to look... I need to get in control. :mad:

Also, how much do they usually require before the surgery. I don't believe my insurance company has the 6 months requirement. I would just be the doctor.

Thanks
Joanne

I am still just in the beginning stages as well. I decide if I am serious enough to have an operation, then I am serious enough to make all the changes I need to. At the seminar they said again and again the surgery is just a tool to help you it is not a magic bullet. I am looking at the sleeve. My research has showed me that after surgery I will be eating somewhere between 800 to 1200 calories daily. I decide to go ahead and give it a whril see what that is going to be like. After surgery we will have to be high protien low carb and low fat. No diet soda. Also have begun vitiams. I don't go over 900 calories a day and try to do 100 g of protien. That is not an easy accomplishment. It means making every calorie count to get in enough nutrition. Exercise is becoming a regular part of my day as well. Everything I can do to make this a better experience for my body will be worth it. I am down 13 lbs in 14 days so WOW!!

You can take control! You have already made a huge step deciding to have surgery that takes commitment so I know you can gain control. Good Luck!

I am still just in the beginning stages as well. I decide if I am serious enough to have an operation, then I am serious enough to make all the changes I need to. At the seminar they said again and again the surgery is just a tool to help you it is not a magic bullet. I am looking at the sleeve. My research has showed me that after surgery I will be eating somewhere between 800 to 1200 calories daily. I decide to go ahead and give it a whril see what that is going to be like. After surgery we will have to be high protien low carb and low fat. No diet soda. Also have begun vitiams. I don't go over 900 calories a day and try to do 100 g of protien. That is not an easy accomplishment. It means making every calorie count to get in enough nutrition. Exercise is becoming a regular part of my day as well. Everything I can do to make this a better experience for my body will be worth it. I am down 13 lbs in 14 days so WOW!!

You can take control! You have already made a huge step deciding to have surgery that takes commitment so I know you can gain control. Good Luck!

Thanks for your input and I know I need to start as soon as possible. I'm still seeing the psychologist for food addictions and she has given me tools to start working on now. I really want to be successful but I know it is just a tool and I've seen friends who haven't done well because they go back to old habits. I want new habits...and I want to not make food the main focus any longer....

If we don't change the diet starting now or when we are advice to do so we won't be able to deal with the new eating habit after surgery.

Hi Joanne, I started changing my eating habits prior to surgery and cut my calories but didn't start losing any weight until I started the liquid diet, but it is better to start sooner than later, I checked out different protien drinks, started chewing my food up real well and tried reducing my meal sizes but that didn't go very well. I wasn't required to lose any weight before surgery but they did say it would help if I lost a some weight so they put me on a liquid diet a week before surgery and I lost 5 lbs and shrunk my liver. It took me about 3 months from WLS seminar to surgery with my insurance company. Let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

hi kaporvilla

congratulations on your weight loss so quickly what kind of dieting are your doing to loose that much so quick> i see surgeon in 11 days and i need to loose the 6 lbs i had previously loss last month and gained back don't want to walk in there and them say what happened you gained back that 6 lbs. Desperate here. Been walking on treadmill and using some weights but walking mostly on treadmillm, desperate here, let me know ok thanks so much
donna

I know all docs are different, but our nutritionist here in Portage won't even approve the actual nutritritionist visit for clearance until we have tackled a 19 point checklist which includees a minimum of one month of charting food and 1200 daily calories...figure during this time I am bound to lose some! (hoping so anyway)

Hi Donna

I down loaded a tracking app so I record everything I eat. I do not eat meat.

Breakfast: premier protien shake from Sam's club (160 calories, 30 grams protien)
Lunch: muscle milk ( 100 calorie and 15 grams protien) plus an additional 150 to 200 calories in fruit and vegetables. I always use as fresh as veggies as I can meaning I only use canned or frozen if fresh is not available or too expensive.
Dinner: 400 calories or less of veggies and usually a low cal low carb tortilla. That tortilla or natural grabola is the only
grain on my diet.

I don't drink soda but I drink about 100 oz of water daily
I also take a multi vitamin and Fiber therapy pills am and pm. Not try to be TMI but I can go a week without moving and have always felt my weight problems are related to that.

Best of luck! I know you guys can do this. I have been asking God to help me and been surprised how well I have been keeping on keeping on.

Hi kapovilla

thanks for info. You are doing great, yes i too beleive god can help us with any and everything, i see where and what i've been doing wrong now...... Not enough protein and i need to ask god for his help and stop trying on my own, thanks for reminding me , praying you have continued success, and that i will happy a good happy report soon too.
Donna

Thanks Bigtallsis (love the name!)

It is a tremendous help to have others praying. I felt encouraged just reading your note knowing I have another person on my prayer team!

I could not agree with u more!!! i also received a list of "changes" so i started immed. this came from tbe nutritionist. what ever i am ,doing i try to see whatt changes i will !!!!!!!!!!!make.a t times i feel like such a failure but just keep trying. i keep reviewing poss. prob. and this hel lps keep me trying.

Lee-Don't ever consider yourself as a failure. The important thing is to keep trying. We are creatures of habit and it is impossible for any of us to change a habit overnight. You have already been successful at researching WLS and are now taking the steps you need to take you on a journey to a healthier new you. Hang in there. We are here to support you and listen.

Back