• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

low blood sugar during pre-op liquid diet

NanaG67

Any ideas so I am not feeling shaky all day?? Today was the first day of my liquid diet, my blood sugar was 112 this morning, and it's 98 right now and I've just had a protein shake. I'm just wondering if I should keep taking my Metformin since there isn't alot that I can have right now.

I've had 2 protein drinks today, v-8 juice, 2 16 oz bottles of water, chicken broth, sugar free Hawaiian punch and a sugar free popsicle. Not really hungry, though my stomach is rumbling, I don't know what else to do...Do I just keep drinking lots of water?? do I take my meds as normal??

Help! I feel so sleepy right now, and probably from my blood sugar being low. :confused:

Each of us are different but I was told by the surgeon to stop taking my metformin during my liquid pre-op diet. I was also told to monitor my blood sugar levels to make sure I didn't spike. 98 - 112 is not considered low blood sugar but might be lower than you are normally. Normal range is 70-150.

You should call your surgeon or PCP for this type of medical advice since it's something that can turn very serious very quickly.

I will call the surgeon first and see what they say, and if I need to I'll call my pcp. I have been hungry all day, and nothing is helping, so I will just grin and bear it for now, I know I can get through this. I even managed to not upset my granddaughter when I turned down her offerings of cookie crisp cereal, I just told her Nana isn't allowed to eat that, she look at me kinda sad, but put them back in her baggie and went about her business.

It sounds like classic symptoms of low blood surgar, if you can have OJ you might want to keep some on hand so your blood surgar doesn't crash and please call your doctor and see if you can decrease your dose, make sure you tell them exactly what you are having for nurishment, a liquid diet with little to no carbs could be what is keeping your surgar low. Let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

I didn't take my Metformin last night, I had some soup around 9pm and went to bed at 10:30. This morning at 4:15 my blood sugar was 116. I had a rough time sleeping but that is because my Quaker Parrot was sick. He still isn't himself, but is doing better this morning. He is giving kisses and talking at least, and he has eaten.

Will keep you all posted on what my doctor says. Thanks to all of you for being here for me.

Nana-I'm glad you're feeling better this morning. I was thinking about you yesterday and sending well wishes your way :)

Although I think you did the right thing by lowering your dosage of metformin please keep monitoring your blood sugar level until you get direction from your PCP or surgeon. Personally, I would deal with the PCP on a matter like this. I can remember when I was first diagnosed as a diabetic, I was devistated. Up until that point I was hypoglycemic and lived on pasta and ate my fair share of sugary snacks. This diet is not good for someone with low blood sugar but it kept me out of trouble. I had to drink juice or eat a hearty breakfast almost immediately upon getting up so that my blood sugar wouldn't fall below 60. Some mornings it was 40-45 which can cause a coma. My goodness, how things change with age and weight gain:eek: My PCP educated me to make sure to monitor my blood sugar level under "special" circumstances so that I wouldn't get into trouble so it became an automatic thing for me to make adjustments to my meds when needed.

Let us know how you are doing and keep up the good work on the liquid diet. I remember things getting easier after the third day. My headaches went away after day 4 and I lost the intense desire for solid foods. Tom was a great help talking me through the rough patches, he's a great guy and we are all lucky to have him on this forum :)

Last edited:
It's funny Pat, I don't really have any headaches, just my stomach is constantly rumbling. I also think I am not getting enough fluids in, but I am trying. Maybe cause it's not so hot in the house I'm not drinking as much as I normally do in the summer. However, we are supposed to have triple digit heat this weekend...just what I needed...lol

Hi Cathy, Metformin is a medication used to treat diabetes. I am no longer on it now that I have had my surgery. I'm down to 1 blood pressure pill and prilosec and prozac, but I don't think I will be needing that one much longer either.

Yaeh Nana!!!!!! I bet you will be sooooo glad to be off the medicines, I was so glad when I didn't have to worry about running out or remember to refill befor I ran out. :cool: Tom

HI, In on insulin and oral diabetes meds My PCP has told me he will probably have me use a sliding scale while on the liquid diet to determine if and how much meds I use during this time. That means Ill test my blood sugar and according to my reading will determine if and how much insulin I should use,Just by following a 1200 to 1400 calorie per day diet my blood sugar levels have really dropped. So im sure they will dip low during the liquid diet phase, just be careful and test often. Sandra

That sounds like the safest way to go, low blood surgars are so dangerous, my wife was diabetic and when she was going through cancer treatments we both had to learn how to dose insuline for her on what and how much she ate, it's kind of tricky but hopefully when you are done and post op you wont need the insulin any more many do get off of it. :cool: Tom

Nana, you aren't even out of surgery a month. I don't ever remember being hungry especially that soon after surgery. I am not familiar with the duodenal switch. It could be just the differences in the surgeries. I also wonder if it is hungry you are feeling. Rumbling sound-hum. I am also amazed at the foods others are allowed to eat after surgery. My surgeon/nutritionist has his patients eat solely protein until 70% of weight is lost. I am hoping in August I will be told I met that goal and can add foods to my diet. (I have tried some stuff, shhhh) It also sound like you are getting in enough liquid. Did they give you an amount you need to take in daily? I need 64 ounces of liquid daily with 70 grams of protein. AND LET ME TELL YOU SOMETIMES THAT IS NOT EASY!!!!
You sound like you have a lot of strength. Keep it up and soon you will say I AM DOING IT! YES!

desertgirl, as far as the liquids and protein, I believe it's the same...I'm just having trouble getting it all in. I don't feel sick unless I try something new....Like I am having trouble with scrambled eggs, chili (I shouldn't have had that so soon), I think I am having issues with some dairy products.

I check my blood sugar daily since surgery, and it hasn't gone above 117....I only take 1 blood pressure pill and prilosec and my prozac, other than that, I only take my supplements. It is getting easier to drink my protein, and I also find that I can't tolerate very cold water, I like it just a little chilly.

Tom, I have a friend who had the bypass 2 years ago and she keeps telling me to watch my blood sugar as her diabetes is back full force...scary stuff

Nana-I was a type 2 diabetic pre-surgery so I'm interested in your friends issue with her diabetes returning. Did she gain weight back and is she eating foods that are not on her maintenance meal plan, especially carbs? Did she ever reach her goal weight and is she a type 1 or type 2 diabetic?

The last thing I want to happen is to have blood sugar issues so I want to make sure to do everything I can to avoid this. I have other medical issues that will probably not go away so I don't want to have to contend with diabetes again.

Hi Nana, I didn't know that. I just went in for a regular check up with me PCP and she wants to keep an eye on my colesterol still, so maybe they are still in the study phases on the affects of WLS on these different conditions. :cool: Tom

Pat, I'm not sure what her diet is like, I do know that she hasn't gained any weight back and she looks really good. All I know is she told me it came back full force and she was a type 2 diabetic. I'm not sure what caused it, and I think her doctor's were surprised too.

Tom, they took me off my cholesterol medicine as soon as I had my surgery. They haven't said anything about getting blood work or anything, and I don't go back till the end of August to see the surgeon.

I'm still tired during the day and I have to take a nap daily. I know it bothers my daughter sometimes because when she wants me to watch the kids so she can go do something I usually can't because of my need to nap. She left the kids with me today, as she had a bunch of errands to run and the kids were still sleeping, hopefully I can make it through the day without a nap...lol....if not, I will turn on the tv in my room or in the living room and lay on the couch and take a nap while they watch cartoons....they are only 5 and 2.

Tom, they took me off my cholesterol medicine as soon as I had my surgery. They haven't said anything about getting blood work or anything, and I don't go back till the end of August to see the surgeon.

It was the same with me, I haven't had a high BP or cholesterol pill for over two years now, which is good because they were 100 bucks a month between the two of them. Your energy should slowly come back. :cool: Tom

Back