• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Low energy and sleepy after surgery

Pat99

Is anyone else having the same problem I am having with being tired all the time? This goes beyond just dragging around feeling like I could use a nap. Since I got home from the hospital on 3/1/12 I can't sit down for more than 10 or 15 minutes without falling asleep. I try fighting it but usually lose the battle at least 70% of the time. Most of the time I only doze for about an hour and still have very low energy when I wake up. If I don't force myself to stand up and start moving around I fall asleep again. The other day I dozed off a few times and decided to watch TV and catch up on some email I needed to send to my family. All I remember is starting an email (I was in my recliner), dozing off, waking up and trying to finish the email. Before I knew it I had fallen fast asleep for at least 6 hours. If you knew me you would know I rarely sleep more than 4 hours at one time, on a good day. In fact I usually sleep in 2 hour increments. Anyway, when I woke up my computer was on my tummy, open and running. My cell phone was also on my lap and open. I remember setting 2 alarms in case I fell asleep so I could take my meds on time *LOL* I must have responded to the alarms in my sleep since the phone was open. Here's the problem which is kind of scary when you think about it. Since the computer was on my tummy in the same spot for at least 6 hours, I ended up with 2 dime sized second degree burns on my tummy. The burns lined up with the exhaust fan on the bottom of my computer. I know from a couple of previous encounters that the fan runs hot because I have had some pink marks on my skin from the fan before.

Even when I am up and walking around it is an effort to do anything since my surgery. I'm getting plenty of protein and fluids and have been eating pretty good and also taking my vitamins including the D3 and B complex that I was told to take. I have an appointment with my surgeon later this week and will definately bring this up. I was just wondering if any of you went through this and if so how long did it take you to get back to normal?

Are you on any meds for pain? That could be the problem. Also my boyfriends sister just had weight loss surgery and she spent a month feeling all draggy. Make sure your getting plenty of your protein.

I haven't had the surgery, but that sounds alot like symptoms I have when I do my Low Calorie Diet. After a couple days into my diet I get groggy a lot and end up taking more naps than I should. Calories=Energy. I'm sure your body is getting alot less calories than it's used to, that could be part of it.

Hi Pat, Tom here. I did find myself sleeping more than usual for about a week or two after surgery but I was easilly awakend. It could be vitamins, you may need more than expected so maybe they will do blood work to check those levels. I also remember after about a week my blood pressure was getting real low making me dizzy, real weak and listless so I stopped taking my BP meds and felt better in a couple of days, but if you are on blood pressure meds check with your doc before you stop, I forgot to do that:eek: KPH mentioned your pain meds, the surgery may have affected the way they work for you, but I haven't had to take them so I don't know, If you were dibetic that would show up in your glucose test but I don't remember you mentioning that either. I am sure the doctors will figure it out, hopefully it is just a vitamin adjustment . Let us know, take care. :cool: Tom

Kevin, Tom, KPH-All of your ideas sound like possiilities to me, perhaps a combination of everything you've mentioned. I do take pain meds but have been taking the same ones for years for back and hip pain (need a hip replacement for over 3 years now). I'm also (was) a diabetic but was taken off my meds in the hospital 2 days post surgery. I check my blood sugar sporadically and it has been OK. I felt slightly better this afternoon. I did doze off a few times but the naps were of a more normal duration and I didn't feel like I was going to fall over from exhaustion when I was moving around the house.

I have been having trouble with pureed foods. My stomach and diaphram get a lot of pressure as soon as I start eating. When I switch back to full liquids I don't get the pressure. My dog gets all the pureed leftovers on my plate *LOL* I am having an especially hard time with eggs yet I can have a few crackers (chewed extremely well) without any problems. It doesn't make sense. I'm balancing things out with protein shakes but I'm sort of getting tired of them. I plan on discussing everything with the surgeon on Thursday afternoon.

hi
is there anyone else out there whom has had there surgery done at BarnesJewish Hospital of St louis MO????
if so I would like to chat with you. I am still waiting for my surgery date and i know each dr has there own set of rules etc. the "wait' on gettting information is hard, been to all the necessay meetings but still have ? Please if you had your surgery at "barnes" please let me know curious of what to expect now as far as time wise etc, and how many after surgery appt you have etc. thanks for helping me.

hi patti 99

how did your doctor's appointment go? Hopefully he or she was able to answer your questions about sleep,. Food etc.
Please let us know how you are feeling and if dr. Was able to answer all your questions. Praying you feel better soon.
Donna:)

hi patti 99

how did your doctor's appointment go? Hopefully he or she was able to answer your questions about sleep,. Food etc.
Please let us know how you are feeling and if dr. Was able to answer all your questions. Praying you feel better soon.
Donna:)

The visit went well, thanks for asking. The surgeon said the extreme tiredness was normal and should subside in about 2 months once I am eating a more balanced diet and recover from the surgery itself. I actually feel better than I did 2 weeks ago. Other than progressing to the meal plan phase to start reintroducing "normal" food the only other thing I am doing is moving around a little more. This might not sound like a lot but my disability makes it painful to walk around. I think the extra walking around is helping more than anything. I like things to happen fast and sometimes get on myself when I don't see more progress. I know I need to think "baby steps" since I didn't get into my bad health situation overnight. It just gets frustrating sometimes.

I'm happy to say my energy is improving. I have a bad day now and then but it's because I have problems sleeping. I think getting enough protein helps my energy level but more sleep on a regular basis would help even more. I have had problems sleeping for many years and have been told it is due to some of the meds I take. Eventually some of the meds will not be needed so hopefully that will take care of the insomnia. In the meantime I rest as much as possible and have naps. Since I don't work anymore I can sleep if and when the urge strikes.

I remember being sooo drained and sooo tired the first couple of months after my WLS. It was so bad I started wondering if I had made the right decision. I discussed this with my surgeon, who assured me it was temporary. Bless his heart, he was right. Once the weight started coming off more slowly, my energy level went through the roof. Hang in there and keep the faith. There are some awesome folks on here who can help you through the dark days. Remember...you are not alone in this journey. Rosie

Bigtallsis, I will be having my surgery this coming Mondy, 4/23, at Barnes/Jewish. It has been nine months getting from first seminar to here. I am having it done by Dr. Eagon. I feel they have been very thorough during the process. It is worth the time and energy. Some days I would just dread going down to the offices for testing, etc., but once I got that date I felt great. Please contact me, I would love to meet up after surgery and meet you. KAREN

Back