• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

low thiamine?

pjb

I am 5 weeks out from rny. The last 2 weeks I have felt like I am in a mental fog. I forget things easily, seem slow to process info, not sleeping well, and at times feel like my face is numb. I cannot speak clearly at times, it feels as though my lips and cheeks are stiff. This comes and goes. Also very tearful. On my way to drop off something at my husbands office today, I missed my exit and was confused as to where to go next. I knew I was now going to be late and began crying. I am very familiar with the area in which I was, but at the time felt overwhelmed and confused. When I made it to his office, my husband insisted I call my surgeon. the nurse told me it sounded as though I may be low in vitamin B1/ thiamine. I was told to immediately get my blood drawn and start on 100mg/day of supplement till I heard from them again. It will take 5 days or so to get results. So has anyone else experienced these symptoms?

I found this on the Mayo Clinic site. Google B12 too - that sounds more like your symptons.

Thiamine is involved in numerous body functions, including nervous system and muscle functioning; the flow of electrolytes in and out of nerve and muscle cells (through ion channels); multiple enzyme processes (via the coenzyme thiamine pyrophosphate); carbohydrate metabolism; and the production of hydrochloric acid (which is necessary for proper digestion). Because there is very little thiamine stored in the body, depletion can occur quickly, within 14 days.

Severe chronic thiamine deficiency (beriberi) can result in potentially serious complications involving the nervous system, brain, muscles, heart, and gastrointestinal system.

Dietary sources of thiamine include beef, brewer's yeast, legumes (beans, lentils), milk, nuts, oats, oranges, pork, rice, seeds, wheat, whole-grain cereals, and yeast. In industrialized countries, foods made with white rice or white flour are often fortified with thiamine, because most of the naturally occurring thiamine is lost during the refinement process.

Thiamine is used as part of a treatment for metabolic disorders (including subacute necrotizing encephalopathy, maple syrup urine disease, pyruvate carboxylase deficiency, and hyperalaninemia) and thiamine deficiency symptoms (including beriberi, Wernicke's encephalopathy, Korsakoff's psychosis, and Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome), and in alcoholic individuals. It has been studied as part of a treatment for other uses, but conclusions cannot be drawn at this time.

Are you taking vitamins with the B vitamins?

Thankyou for looking this up! I do take my flintstones. Doctors nurse says it may not be enough. I am not really eating any of the foods that have it in them yet. It will be interesting to see blood results.

Back