• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Marinated Sirloin Steak

KarenWV

I just bought a couple sirloin steaks at Kroger's on sale for a fairly reasonable price. Usually I stay away from any kind of steak other than the occasional ribeye if I can catch it on sale, maybe once every couple of months. I just find most store bought steaks to be rather tough and not worth spending the money on.

But I took a chance on these sirloin steaks. I wanted to try eating them as steak, then use the leftovers for burritos. I decided to marinate them to try to tenderize and flavor them. I am so glad I did.

I put the 2 steaks together in a gallon ziplock. I added Zesty Italian dressing, Worcestershire sauce, and lots of garlic and onion powder, season salt, pepper, and paprika. I smushed it all around in and on the steaks & stuck them in the fridge. Every couple of hours I smushed the marinade on the steaks. I did this off and on for around 24 hours. Vinegar is a wonderful tenderizer, and the seasonings in the Zesty Italian are so good. When the steak cooks, you don't really taste the sour vinagrette type of flavor at all.

I decided to pan fry each steak last night - they were so big, each one filled the pan so they had to be cooked 1 at a time. Not a problem bc my hubby and I split the 1st one. The 2nd one was cooked & refrigerated for tonight's burritos!

I heated the skillet to medium high on my electric stove - turn the exhaust fan on!!! The marinade had enough oil so the pan didn't need any additional oil, but I reckon you could use Pam. I seared the 1st side for 2 minutes, seasoned the top with more garlic and onion powder, salt, pepper, and paprika, then flipped it and seared the top side for 2 minutes while seasoning the seared side. We like ours medium rare, so one more minute on medium heat was plenty of cook time.

I refrigerated what we couldn't eat. Then this evening I thinly sliced some of the leftover cooked steak into strips. I had some frozen cooked shrimp that I thawed & added Tony Chachere seasoning. I heated the steak & shrimp with salsa, chopped red onion, chopped colored pepper mix, and shredded Cheddar colby cheese in the microwave. Put it on a tortilla with sour cream & guac. His was a flour tortilla; mine was a low net carb Mission tortilla (a huge splurge for me, as I usually avoid any breads including tortillas).
Gotta tell y'all, that was the 1st time I ever made steak burritos. Usually I go for ground beef, but that marinated sirloin was the perfect consistency.

I wanted to share this with y'all after I realized I actually can cook steak other than ribeyes. 60 years old, and this "old dog" has learned a new trick lol!

One more note. I have used this exact same marinade on chicken leg quarters for years before slow baking them in the oven. Coincidentally those leg quarters are on sale at Kroger's for 69 cents/lb for a 10 lb bag this week. Inflation buster for sure!

Peace everyone and thanks for letting me share. ❤❤

Definitely saving money. We still have enough steak left for burritos again. Good thing hubby never turns away leftovers lol!

Just got back from Kroger's with 3 bags full of salad stuff. I warned him not to open the fridge door or it will explode KABOOM!!!

Back