• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Massive anxiety

3momchaos

I’m coming up on my last appointment, and I’m just crushed with anxiety. It’s not just the surgery, a lots going on, but the surgery keeps coming to the forefront of my thoughts. I’ve lost weight, I’m following directions, I’m ready for the surgery, but there’s something in my brain that’s causing me doubt. Guess it’s just the little red devil saying, “Why are you doing this? You’ll never succeed! You’ll lose it all and gain it back! Recovery is going to be horrible!” Boy that little red devil is a freakin jerk!! But I can’t get that jerk to shut up! I’ve always had a lot of self doubt. I’m a fake it til you make confidence person. I’m having this surgery as long as it’s approved by my insurance. I guess I wish I had more real confidence going into this. For those of you who’ve had surgery already, what was one thing you wish you’d have known about recovery or a question you wished you’d ask before hand. I feel prepared, but then I think of something else. Y’all have really been the best community ever in supporting me up to this point, and I’m not stopping here.

It is good that you recognize the thoughts are not accurate and are fighting back! We can't control what thoughts enter our mind, but we can sure control how long they stay and whether we believe them... it is empowering when we get to that point and can just say "nope, that one is not for me, that's a lie" and then combat it with something true. You are going to do great!

I'm currently lying in the hospital recovering from my surgery. I had all of those same thoughts. It turns out it was as bad as I thought. All I remember was them telling me they were starting to strap my legs and arms down...next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery. ....

It hasn't been to bad..I have thrown up once but that was due to my taste sensitivities and in reaction to the taste of one of the pain meds... i am just not taking it. Biggest thing is to just listen to your body and verbalize what you are feeling and not wanting.

I'm currently lying in the hospital recovering from my surgery. I had all of those same thoughts. It turns out it was as bad as I thought. All I remember was them telling me they were starting to strap my legs and arms down...next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery. ....

It hasn't been to bad..I have thrown up once but that was due to my taste sensitivities and in reaction to the taste of one of the pain meds... i am just not taking it. Biggest thing is to just listen to your body and verbalize what you are feeling and not wanting.
I’m glad you’re doing ok for the most part. I am very sensitive to pain meds as well, and there is only one that either doesn’t make me vomit or break out into a rash, so I hope my dr doesn’t mind me suggesting it to him. I hope the rest of your recovery is smooth sailing!

It's ok to have any of those thoughts you want. I just accepted them and said, ok let's ride this out and see what happens. I've so brainwashed myself that I'm going to succeed that I was hesitant to eat the ice chips I got the first day. The next day they brought in a tray of jello, juice, popsicle, and coffee. Wow did I go to town! All 1 ounce every 15 minutes worth!! But I'm glad I faced my fears and accepted them. For me I think that was really important.

As for something I wish I knew beforehand. I think the definition of "protein supplement." I'm at 4 tablespoons pureed foods 3xday with 1-2 servings of a protein supplement between meals which can be yogurt. I'm confused. A serving of yogurt is more that 1/4 cup. So do I spend the hours between meals sipping my yogurt? hmmm.... I've got a call into the nutritionist cause I'm confused.

Other than that, no pain and no gas pains, normal activity, no cravings (but Papa Murphys Pizza has a draw), getting my fluids in, I can't say more about how good I feel.

I’m coming up on my last appointment, and I’m just crushed with anxiety. It’s not just the surgery, a lots going on, but the surgery keeps coming to the forefront of my thoughts. I’ve lost weight, I’m following directions, I’m ready for the surgery, but there’s something in my brain that’s causing me doubt. Guess it’s just the little red devil saying, “Why are you doing this? You’ll never succeed! You’ll lose it all and gain it back! Recovery is going to be horrible!” Boy that little red devil is a freakin jerk!! But I can’t get that jerk to shut up! I’ve always had a lot of self doubt. I’m a fake it til you make confidence person. I’m having this surgery as long as it’s approved by my insurance. I guess I wish I had more real confidence going into this. For those of you who’ve had surgery already, what was one thing you wish you’d have known about recovery or a question you wished you’d ask before hand. I feel prepared, but then I think of something else. Y’all have really been the best community ever in supporting me up to this point, and I’m not stopping here.
Anxiety and self doubt are a trap that you recognize and I love that you are determined to push past them. It's natural to feel like this so close but it has been the best decision I've ever made for myself, I'm sure you'll feel the same way in a couple months. You're a young woman, you deserve to feel like one! You're going to feel and look fantastic! And with that, the confidence in yourself will grow. You're going to do great girlie, you're ready. I'm sending all my positive thoughts your way! :D

I’m coming up on my last appointment, and I’m just crushed with anxiety. It’s not just the surgery, a lots going on, but the surgery keeps coming to the forefront of my thoughts.
Everything that you are experiencing is normal. I was so sure that my surgery would be postponed, again that it wasn't until I started my pre op diet, that I thought , this might just happen. (Keep in mind that in March, I was on my pre surgery diet for 5 days and 2 days away from surgery when I got the call that all elective surgery was called off and shut down due to the pandemic.) Now, all I did was worry about being 70 years old, was I going to die??? and a million other worries. I had to go the morning of my surgery alone, since no one , even my husband was allowed in the hospital until visiting hours. As I walked into the hospital, I said to myself, well this is it. Now is your chance to run. Then, my clear mind took over and I thought what am I thinking--it's almost a year that I invested in this journey. And, I realized that this is what I really wanted. So, I think that it's great that you are thinking of this and know that it's your nerves playing with your mind. You have been so organized and prepared for this, I know that you will do great. By the way, I had read so much about the gas pains, that I kept waiting for them. I was lucky, I didn't have any. Good luck.

Thanks everyone! I just finished my LAST visit! Woohoo! I’ve lost 16lbs since January, I asked all the questions that I could think of that the dietician could answer. They’ll submit to the insurance next week. I’ll have a final consult with the NP and a preop class about 2 weeks before surgery, and I’ll have some questions then. For now, I play the waiting game (worst game ever!)

Back