• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Medicare and Medicaid Medicare

Glojia

I haven't been to my seminar yet, but already I am worrying about out of pocket expenses. I have medicare A&B and medicaid medicare, I know medicare pays 80% but I am not sure about medicaid medicare and if or what they will pay. From my understanding they are supposed to pay what medicare doesn't. I do not know how this works or if that is true. I live in Indiana, can anyone help me understand? I am so afraid I will not be able to afford this as my only income is SS. I am getting myself all worked up and have not even been approved yet, my goodness! Was anyone else as nervous as I am in the beginning of the process?

Glojia

I haven't been to my seminar yet, but already I am worrying about out of pocket expenses. I have medicare A&B and medicaid medicare, I know medicare pays 80% but I am not sure about medicaid medicare and if or what they will pay. From my understanding they are supposed to pay what medicare doesn't. I do not know how this works or if that is true. I live in Indiana, can anyone help me understand? I am so afraid I will not be able to afford this as my only income is SS. I am getting myself all worked up and have not even been approved yet, my goodness! Was anyone else as nervous as I am in the beginning of the process?

Glojia

Hi Glojia! Call up your Medicare and Medicaid office and ask how they cover it. They should know what percentage you will be responsible to pay. What is good is Medicare gets a big discount with hospitals and doctors so your percentage you would be responsible for ( if any) will be much lower than regular price. I saw a copy of my hospital bill the last time I was in (I have had several surgeries in the last couple months) and Medicare got a $34,000 discount on my hospital bill. I have a secondary insurance that pays for everything that medicare doesn't pay for so I don't have to pay any copay but I noticed that Medicare never pays full price and if you had to pay a percentage then it would be a lot lower than regular price.

:)
Good Luck to you!

Cheyenne

So I called the medicaid coordinator and found out that I am enrolled in the Medicare Savings Program. They help with part B premiums, deductibles and co payments for medicare. I am taking this as good news for me and thinking that my out of pocket expenses won't be so bad. This makes me feel a bit calmer.:) But now to call members services and see exactly how they pay.

So I called the medicaid coordinator and found out that I am enrolled in the Medicare Savings Program. They help with part B premiums, deductibles and co payments for medicare. I am taking this as good news for me and thinking that my out of pocket expenses won't be so bad. This makes me feel a bit calmer.:) But now to call members services and see exactly how they pay.

That sounds really great!!! :)

Hi there! I can tell you that my Uncle went to St. Vincent's and he is on Medicare and Medicaid. He had to pay $250 for his surgery. Medicare/Medicaid paid the rest of his expenses.

Back