• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

medicare

I just finished my clearances, know I meet the criteria for medicare, does anyone know how long it take for medicare to give approval, and what is the next step? egd? or what else can I expect before I get a surgery date.

linda

as far as what else is needed I would call the patient coordinator and get the very details on what is needed before you get approved.

thanks for the input on insurance approval, since my posting I have been approved, surgery date 11/20/2013, ready and waiting

hello I am new to the forums and this site. I am in the clearance stages of bariatric sleeve surgery and I have another meeting with the Nutritionist next week and my stress test the first week in January. I still have to attend a group meeting and a support meeting before they will schedule. I am so happy I am part of a program that follow's your progress and provides you with all the support and guidance there is. I have been overweight my whole life and have some pretty significant health issue's due to excess weight sleep apnea, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, fibromyalgia and a connective tissue disease which is a combo of Lupus and Rheumatoid arthritis. i have a chronically high inflammation rate in my body and I am praying that this surgery and the weight loss I will experience will get me off of most all of my medications. The two that are the worst is prednisone, I have been on that for over 3 years and methotrexate. These are horrible med's to be on all of the time. My life has changed dramatically since I was diagnosed with Fibro and the Connective Tissue disease. So this surgery to me is so much more than losing weight it is losing the shoe box full of various meds I am on. I freaked out when I found out I had to take an allergy pill every day now it is just insane to take 15-30 pills per day. I can't wait until surgery, I have already started on the vitamins and protein shakes. Which quite honestly I don't have a problem with. Being single and having a protein shake to start my day is no big deal I make it with 1% milk and fruit and it is tasty. I am getting my protein and I have to say within the past few weeks I have noticed more energy and to me that is awesome! I maybe have lost 9 lbs but could very well be fluid, either way I'll take it. Just so tired of living a life being morbidly obese and having to take so many medications for one thing or another. I JUST WANT MY LIFE BACK!

hello I am new to the forums and this site. I am in the clearance stages of bariatric sleeve surgery and I have another meeting with the Nutritionist next week and my stress test the first week in January. I still have to attend a group meeting and a support meeting before they will schedule. I am so happy I am part of a program that follow's your progress and provides you with all the support and guidance there is. I have been overweight my whole life and have some pretty significant health issue's due to excess weight sleep apnea, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, fibromyalgia and a connective tissue disease which is a combo of Lupus and Rheumatoid arthritis. i have a chronically high inflammation rate in my body and I am praying that this surgery and the weight loss I will experience will get me off of most all of my medications. The two that are the worst is prednisone, I have been on that for over 3 years and methotrexate. These are horrible med's to be on all of the time. My life has changed dramatically since I was diagnosed with Fibro and the Connective Tissue disease. So this surgery to me is so much more than losing weight it is losing the shoe box full of various meds I am on. I freaked out when I found out I had to take an allergy pill every day now it is just insane to take 15-30 pills per day. I can't wait until surgery, I have already started on the vitamins and protein shakes. Which quite honestly I don't have a problem with. Being single and having a protein shake to start my day is no big deal I make it with 1% milk and fruit and it is tasty. I am getting my protein and I have to say within the past few weeks I have noticed more energy and to me that is awesome! I maybe have lost 9 lbs but could very well be fluid, either way I'll take it. Just so tired of living a life being morbidly obese and having to take so many medications for one thing or another. I JUST WANT MY LIFE BACK!

I wish you the best of luck for your future. I know what you are going through; albeit it sounds like your situation is much more serious than mine was. However, you will see many benefits come your way as you watch the weight melt off of you, fewer meds, diabetes normalized, easier to get around, swelling disappearing, blood pressure coming down and hopefully some of those other meds (predisone) no longer being required.

Good luck,

Ralph

medicare doesn't have an approval time, as THEY WILL NEVER - AND I MEAN EVER - approve the surgery. They have GUIDE lines that must be meet that say, your a good fit for the surgery, but far as ever approve it, never! Only medicaid says it will in writing. Doesn't mean medicare won't pay for it, but they never put it in writing, nor promise to ever pay for it, which is pretty crappy, but what can we do.

Back